Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musicians who got better after getting clean?

Options
  • 13-03-2008 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to think of some musicians who made better music after quitting booze and dope. I can't really think of any really good examples. When you think about it, an awful lot of good music was made by drunks and drug users. Can anyone come up with some good examples?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Well Shaun Ryder seemed to have gotten worse, but Phil Anselmo's (SP?) new album with Down is ace and he's clean now... I can't compare it to his old stuff though, have to get used to his album 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Miles Davis twice!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

mike65 wrote: »
    Miles Davis twice!

Mike.

You beat me to it ! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I was thinking that aerosmith didn't lose their charm when they got themselves clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

mike65 wrote: »
    Miles Davis twice!

Mike.

Mike's favourite answer to any question in the Music fora! :p

I dunno, but I can't think of many examples where musicians got worse either. Most musicians' productivity improves a lot when they go clean for a start. E.g. Jimmy Chamberlain and John Fruiscante.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

cornbb wrote: »
    Mike's favourite answer to any question in the Music fora! :p

Maybe so................ but he's correct here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Stevie Ray Vaughan...i think almost every post i've made on this forum has had something to do with him but still, after he cleaned up he got a million times better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

John Frusciante

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Rigsby wrote: »
    Maybe so................ but he's correct here. ;)

Right on :cool:

Sorry to momentarily take this off topic, but which Miles Davis should I buy? (Already have Birth of the Cool)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Almost any question in popular music can be answerd with Miles Davis! He had been there, done that, so many times in so many ways with so many people.

Miles Ahead, Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew in that order (roughly).

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

lol at Miles Davis's wikipedia page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Davis#Bladder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Eddie Vedder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

impr0v wrote: »
    John Frusciante

On the ball! How did I not think of that? Fair dues to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

David Bowie and Iggy Pop recorded some of their best stuff when they supposedly cleaned up their act in their late 70's Berlin era.

Pop produced 'The Idiot" and "Lust for Life" whilst Bowie released "Low", "Heroes", "Lodger"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

damonjewel wrote: »
    David Bowie and Iggy Pop recorded some of their best stuff when they supposedly cleaned up their act in their late 70's Berlin era.

Pop produced 'The Idiot" and "Lust for Life" whilst Bowie released "Low", "Heroes", "Lodger"

Was as probably as much due to the Eno Influence as being clean and I dont beleive that were that clean then anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Was as probably as much due to the Eno Influence as being clean and I dont beleive that were that clean then anyway

Absolutely Eno was a big influence, as for being clean well I'd be a bit sceptical too. But I would have thought they had cleaned up a fair bit.

Advertisement