Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish 07 Accord, south of france.. any problems? leaving it there.

Options
  • 13-03-2008 3:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

hi folks, any ideas regarding the following scenario..
    i have an apartment in sth of france, was thinking of driving down in my accord this summer and leaving the car there , for when im up and down.. so i dont have to hire a car..

will my Irish insurance cover that, or do i need a new french policy.?
    ( will french insurance cover an irish reg car?)

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Not to go all RTFM on you but you'll have to check your policy details. I think AXA allow a month or something in Europe. I don't think they really tend to offer long term cover.
    You might also find the insurance is reduced to third party or that other benefits like windscreen cover/breakdown assistance disappear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

javaboy wrote: »
    Not to go all RTFM on you but you'll have to check your policy details. I think AXA allow a month or something in Europe. I don't think they really tend to offer long term cover.
    You might also find the insurance is reduced to third party or that other benefits like windscreen cover/breakdown assistance disappear.

i think its 1-2 mths at a push..with my current insurer..

id rather drive it down and leave it at the apt for when im there,, rather than sell it now, as it appears that its lost a good chunk of value.. and dealers are offering crap money for it in a trade in..

do i have to change it to french plates if i leave it in france, or would french insurers insure an irish reg car?

anyone any experience of this?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

A French insurer will cover you on a Irish car, but you will be required to change the registration to a French plate if in the country for more than one month. details below;

http://www.frenchentree.com/fe-lavie/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=135

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Wouldn't the same car be 20 to 30% cheaper in France?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭40701085

Hi What Car,

I might be in the market for a Honda Accord, if you feel like selling here & buying another in France, maybe PM me with the spec & we could chat.

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement