Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JLPT in Ireland?

• 13-03-2008 5:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

I was wondering does anywhere in Ireland conduct/host the JLPT exams?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭buachaillbeoir

Uthred wrote: »
    I was wondering does anywhere in Ireland conduct/host the JLPT exams?
    Proficiency Tests:
    The details regarding this year’s proficiency tests are as below. At the moment, formal Japanese Language tests cannot be taken in Ireland . While it is possible that the JLPT will be held in Dublin in the future, at the moment there are no firm plans to do so. The JLPT is conducted at a variety of international locations, with London being the closest. A full list is available at http://momo.jpf.go.jp/jlpt/e/list_e.html

doesnt look like it at the moment!!!

see http://www.ie.emb-japan.go.jp/JET+Tests.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Uthred

Thats unfortunate, on a related topic does one have to do the various levels in order or can you select which one you want to do upon application? As it would seem to be a better bet to study hard for level 3 one as opposed to taking the level 4 and then having to wait a year to do level 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I'm pretty sure you can just go for any level you want right off the bat

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I was also looking to do the JLPT. I'll be returning to Ireland this summer after a year and a half in Japan. I think by December, I should be able to pass level 3.
    But I'm not sure it's worth going to London for.

Are there any other Japanese tests that one can do in Ireland? Outside of the Leaving Cert? Though, I was having a look at some past papers, and it seems pretty easy, it'd be a bit odd to be doing a LC test in my late twenties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

There was noise about having the JLPT in Ireland a couple of years ago, but I think it fell through somewhere along the line.

LC is JLPT4 or roundabouts level, so no point taking it. I'd say you're probably better off studying for level 2 if you're doing it for more than just gauging your own ability.

• Advertisement

Lantis wrote: »
    LC is JLPT4 or roundabouts level, so no point taking it. I'd say you're probably better off studying for level 2 if you're doing it for more than just gauging your own ability.
    That's what is seems to me too.

I heard this weekend that if you have level 2, you can teach the LC in Ireland.

I dunno if I'd be motivated enough for the huge jump between 3 and 2. Basically, I'd just like to have something I can put on my CV to show that I spent my time in a reasonably worthwhile way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

That's what is seems to me too.

I heard this weekend that if you have level 2, you can teach the LC in Ireland.

I dunno if I'd be motivated enough for the huge jump between 3 and 2. Basically, I'd just like to have something I can put on my CV to show that I spent my time in a reasonably worthwhile way!

Yeah the jump up between level 3 to 2 is feckin unbeleivable! you'd basically appear almost fluent in japanese if you could do everything perfectly on the level 2 course, so I don't know what level 1 would be like! but I'm guessing it's like a real college degree in japanese type of course?

If you're just looking for something to put on your cv after japan I'd say you'd get level 3 no bother by studying just a reasonable amount.

Giruilla wrote: »
    Yeah the jump up between level 3 to 2 is feckin unbeleivable! you'd basically appear almost fluent in japanese if you could do everything perfectly on the level 2 course, so I don't know what level 1 would be like! but I'm guessing it's like a real college degree in japanese type of course? .
    I know people who've lived here donkey's years, done actual Japanese college courses (business, informatics etc), relationships, careers etc and still are only aiming for level !
    If you're just looking for something to put on your cv after japan I'd say you'd get level 3 no bother by studying just a reasonable amount
    Maybe, but going to London to take the test is metcha medoukusai!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wayoveryonder

hi am fresh off the boat from travelling for a year having spent six months working and living in tokyo, wondering where and how is the best way to go about leraning japanese here at home?
    let the wisdom flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Belton

I know this is an old thread but it ranks high on a google search.
    The good news is you can now take JLPT at DCU.
    http://sites.google.com/site/irelandjlpt/

• Advertisement
Advertisement