Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Ombudsman struggling to cope

• 13-03-2008 9:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭

Reported this morning that Ombudsman is struggling to cope with the amount of complaints they have received. In the 10 ten months they have been set-up they have received 2,500 compared to the 1,400 the Complaints Board it received annually and they are now asking for the Commissioner to take on board some of the cases.

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhojcwsnauid/

Will the public be back to square one where Gardai will be investigating Gardai?

Could make the argument that obvious vicious complaints to hinder/prevent a criminal investigation should end in a prosecution of the complainant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

TheNog wrote: »

Could make the argument that obvious vicious complaints to hinder/prevent a criminal investigation should end in a prosecution of the complainant

I agree totally.

Just how easy is it to actually make a complaint and have it entertained? Does it have to be in written form or will a phone call do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Written form only. The same happened with the Complaints Boards when scrotes (sorry customers) made complaints to annoy investigating Gardai. It just added more stress to the Gardai 'cos they didn't know which way the outcome would go. Usually a garda would have a fair idea if he/she handled the situation correctly and have nothing to fear but I think they were more afraid of what management would think and how it would/could affect their careers.

It went hand in hand with when they customers could get a hold of a copy of their recorded interviews and watch it in the pubs with their mates. They had a right old laugh they did till McDowell closed off that loophole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

TheNog wrote: »
    Written form only. The same happened with the Complaints Boards when scrotes (sorry customers) made complaints to annoy investigating Gardai. It just added more stress to the Gardai 'cos they didn't know which way the outcome would go. Usually a garda would have a fair idea if he/she handled the situation correctly and have nothing to fear but I think they were more afraid of what management would think and how it would/could affect their careers.

It went hand in hand with when they customers could get a hold of a copy of their recorded interviews and watch it in the pubs with their mates. They had a right old laugh they did till McDowell closed off that loophole.

The problem is that the arguement would be put forward that prosecuting complainants would put people off making complains even when justified.

I would be happy if the annual reports actually states how many complaints were dismissed for being vicasious or without merit. Perhaps then people would start to get a fairer picture of the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

This was bound to happen with the amount of publicity the Ombudsman has courted, every scumbag in the state must be cheering on the creation of GSOC :rolleyes:

What's needed is a very robust approach to prosecuting piss-takers and time-wasters, and proper sanctions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

The back log is coming from complaints by protesters at Shannon Airport,Bellanaboy(sp?) and other such areas,as well as your average crim's..all done to cause trouble for Gardai!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

The problem is that the arguement would be put forward that prosecuting complainants would put people off making complains even when justified.

I would be happy if the annual reports actually states how many complaints were dismissed for being vicasious or without merit. Perhaps then people would start to get a fairer picture of the situation.

Yes it could put people off making complaints but if it could be proven out doubt that a person made a complaint for their own gain as opposed to highlighting a problem. Such vicious complaints could be prosecuted in the DC with heavy fine and/or prison.

The Gardai should have more protection from these types of false complaints. It can be demoralising for members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

From at i heard- heard only not fact, is that the majority of thses claims are deemed vexcasious (sp) i.e. without merit and that the GSOC are actulally very quite.

I too would like to hear and see a quarterly post of the amount of complaints been investigated

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

This is what happens when it is so simple for the public to complain about anything.

Advertisement