Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rate of fire

Options
  • 13-03-2008 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

hi all

just checking but aside from a higher voltage battery is there anything else that will help increase the rate of fire?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

High speed gears
    Turbo motor
    Weaker spring (which will give lower fps aswell)
    Short-stroked piston (by removing teeth off the piston and sector gear rof increases, but fps drops)
    Properly re-shimming the gears will increase rof aswell if they aren't done correctly already

There's a few other things, like high grade wiring, mosfet install and capacitors that can increase rate of fire, but not as noticeable as those above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

kdouglas wrote: »
    High speed gears
    Turbo motor
    Weaker spring (which will give lower fps aswell)
    Short-stroked piston (by removing teeth off the piston and sector gear rof increases, but fps drops)
    Properly re-shimming the gears will increase rof aswell if they aren't done correctly already

There's a few other things, like high grade wiring, mosfet install and capacitors that can increase rate of fire, but not as noticeable as those above

High speed gears - ive seen 200% torque gears on ehobby is this the same thing?
    short-stroked piston - do you mean like removing every second one something like that?

thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

johnboyire wrote: »
    High speed gears - ive seen 200% torque gears on ehobby is this the same thing?
    short-stroked piston - do you mean like removing every second one something like that?

thanks very much!

High torque gears are for changing the gear ratio to suit a stronger spring, in other countries where they operate above a joule, not here though.

Higher quality gears and a high speed motor would do the job, I dont know if there are speed up gears as the opposite of torque up.

I'm getting bearing bushes and shims for my new aeg, hopefully a mosfet and higher voltage battery, not yet gone for a motor as It's not rof alone I'm after, but the motor and decent gears should do it with some decent bushes and shiming.

You dont want to bother with short stroking, its for extreme rof set ups so the piston is forward before the sector gear reaches it again so a high strength spring can be used without upping fps but raising rof.

Just like torque up gears, there are hi-speed gear ratios aswell... these for example

short stroking a piston involves removing several teeth off the release-end of the piston and a matching number of teeth from the sector gear, it increases the rate of fire because the piston does not have to be pulled all the way back, hence shorter stroke, however it also does not compress the spring fully and you will lose fps unless you put in a higher spring.

the main reason for it is as Motosam said, in extreme rof setups to make the piston return quicker and stop the gears hitting the piston while it is still on the forward stroke (which will happen when you get to really high speeds)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

cool thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Beast ASI

Using light components in your gearbox can also affect your ROF. E.g When using a Deepfire Titanium piston, your rof will go down compared to a stock TM piston in the same setup.

indeed, that's something I forgot to mention, you can also swiss cheese (i.e. drill lots of holes in) the piston to make it lighter, but you have to do it in the right spots so you dont weaken it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Airfish

I revently changed my hi-torque CA motor to a systema turbo, since there's no point having a high torque motor when we have a 1 joule limit, and was very impressed by the difference. Trigger response was hugely improved on single and full auto is a mag guzzling joy.
    However, I ripped 3 teeth off the CA stock piston at 600 rds. I was fully expecting this, although I thought it would last a little bit longer.
    Anyway, I ordered one of the new type systema pistons which are supposed to be tested to 10000rds with m170 springs with no evidence of wear. I then looked into the tooth removal theories and found this page which has by far the best illustrated info on the matter that I've come across. It should be very helpful for those, like myself with little experience of modifying and frustrated by lack of solid info on the topic:-
    http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/index.php?showtopic=97416

That's a good link Airfish. Getting the AoE is critical in high rate of fire setups, it's the most likely cause of your CA piston stripping so easily. Filing down the 2nd and possibly 3rd pickup tooth is important too to ensure the sector gear does not hit them when picking up the piston. It's also a good idea to only file them down as much as needed and not completely flat, since this distributes the load more evenly.

This image might be of interest. I will probably file tooth 4 down 1/3 also.

castandardreinforcedpiston.jpg

• Advertisement

I have a comparison photo following test with the high speed motor with two pistons. This systema piston is supposedly for high speed setups and costs twice the price of the regular systema piston, which I understand aren't good for high performace setups.

pistoncomparison.jpg

Here is a closeup of before and after test in case it's of interest.

piston_closeup.jpg

Those yellow CA pistons are useless anyway from what i've heard.

If you adjust your angle of engagement you should be able to prevent any further damage to the pickup tooth

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Beast ASI

The red Systema ones are terrible as well, both are very bad actually. It's not new either, the latest Systema piston is a blackish grey colour. Haven't tried the new one yet, but the red systema is one of the worst pistons out, it's horrible, two of them have snapped in under 500 rounds with me, and I wasn't even running a high setup. Stick to TM's tbh, they're perfect for high rof setups, as long as you get the AOE right.

Sorry for the long delay in continuing but I had to double check that this 'new' red systema piston performed much than the older, cheaper, hated version. I've even included the label in this photo for reference.
    It's far stronger than the CA 'reinforced' piston as you can see and seems to me to be suited to a higher speed setup, as it says on the tin.
    systemateststate2.jpg

Advertisement