Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing car in summer...newer MX5??

Options
  • 13-03-2008 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I am considering selling my MX5 (99D MK2) in May as I will have it paid off. I've been leaning towards a newer MX5 and was wondering if anybody has the MK3 and what they think of it in comparision to the older models etc.

Admittedly, the new model has taken a while to grow on me. I wasn't mad about it at first but I do like the interior.

Alternatively, I am considering something radically different. Perhaps a Sante Fe. As I don't have a family I tend to go for the none family orientated vehicles. I like something that stands out somewhat but not overly pretentious and overly priced. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,095 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

why in gods name would someone want a santa fe, especially someone with no need for 4 seats :confused:

the mx5 is supposed to be a super car (ive never driven one) if you liked it and want something with more power how about a s/h porsche boxster or bmw z4?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Cyrus wrote: »
    why in gods name would someone want a santa fe, especially someone with no need for 4 seats :confused:

the mx5 is supposed to be a super car (ive never driven one) if you liked it and want something with more power how about a s/h porsche boxster or bmw z4?

Well it was only a thought in my mind to look more closely at the Santa Fe as I liked the look of them.

I love my MX5, its great fun to drive etc. I doubt my pennies would stretch as far as a Porche. I am not mad on their appearance anyway.

When I was intially thinking of getting my current MX5 it was a choice between that, an MG and a Z3/Z4. I always felt the the Z3/Z4's were a bit prententious looking. Possibly because the one guy I met who owned one was an obnoxious idiot who thought he was a hot shot!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,095 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

z3 is an awful car, the z4 is a great car

i wouldnt worry about the image, if you were that worried you wouldnt have bought the mx5 which has its own image issues

Cyrus wrote: »
    z3 is an awful car, the z4 is a great car

i wouldnt worry about the image, if you were that worried you wouldnt have bought the mx5 which has its own image issues

True, image is nothing in all honesty. I guess I prefer the MX5 over other similar cars in the price range.

Would be interesting to get peoples thoughts on the new model.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

py2006 wrote: »
    I am considering selling my MX5 (99D MK2) in May as I will have it paid off.

Erm... I'm probably stating the obvious and it's none of my business, but... since you'll "have it paid off", and it's probably not that far off bottoming on depreciation (give or take a couple of €ks), why do you "have to" replace it? (that's what it sounds like)

Since you don't seem to have any particular reasons (such as family or € trouble or...), why not keep it, and enjoy some one of the best available (and reliable) ragtop motors (irrespective of vintage), at the forthcoming best time of the year and save pennies instead :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I agree with ambro, it won;t depreciate a whole lot in the next while (esp. as newly imported MX5's will get hit for high road tax & VRT),

Since you owe nothing on it, why not drive it for a few years, and instead of making repayments on a newer car, save that money and you''l probably be able to afford a Porsche or similar in a few years.

prospect wrote: »
    I agree with ambro, it won;t depreciate a whole lot in the next while (esp. as newly imported MX5's will get hit for high road tax & VRT),

Since you owe nothing on it, why not drive it for a few years, and instead of making repayments on a newer car, save that money and you''l probably be able to afford a Porsche or similar in a few years.

Hmm, thanks ambro/prospect. I hadn't really considered that option.

There is no reason why I HAVE to sell other than the concern of a considerable depreciation in value and difficulty in selling in the future. The mileage is starting to get high. (110,000km)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭mountain

hiya,

what about a brand new one, the one with the metal roof,
    for what i have read, handling is the same, but with the added benefit of the metal roof.

mountain wrote: »
    hiya,

what about a brand new one, the one with the metal roof,
    for what i have read, handling is the same, but with the added benefit of the metal roof.

Yea I was looking at them but I am not mad about the coupe model. I prefer the soft top. The hard tops make it look like a totally different car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Id hang onto the MX5. The MX5 is considered a bit of a modern classic so why change, especially as it sounds like you have no problems with it.

If it aint broke, dont try fixing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

What ambro/prospect said...

Consider holding onto it, saving a few pounds (instead of paying €€€€s in interest) and then making a change once on a little nest egg has built up. Looking to plunge back into debt having barely paid off a 9 year old car is not what Eddie Hobbs would advise:D...

I actually prefer the new MX5 (more 'manly'). Only reason to move up to a Z4/Porker would be snob appeal I think...

Hmm, thanks ambro/prospect. I hadn't really considered that option.

There is no reason why I HAVE to sell other than the concern of a considerable depreciation in value and difficulty in selling in the future. The mileage is starting to get high. (110,000km)

That's not high mileage for an MX5, far from it (it's just about entering adolescence :D) and most of the depreciating is already done. As I suggested in my earlier post, I believe you're now looking at increments of €1k a year (if that, by now - could be less), rather than multiples of €1k a year.

Considering the difficulty anyone in IE appears to suffer currently when trying to shift anything older than 5 years (convertible or not), you'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Just consider the replacement cost for a minute, like for like: what you need to pay to get what you already have, but newer (convertible / engine size / known history, etc), not forgetting insurancer hike (likely), depreciation hike (definitely, and large-ish) and other oft-ignored cost factors.

Consider also, what the timescale is within which you're going to keep it: family next year? or in 3 years time? or likely later? Any other likely life/situation changes? This to paint a picture of how long you could hang on to your '99 at zero cost (well, figuratively of course) versus how long you would incur higher depreciation on a newer car...

By way of reference, I decided to keep our '98 Mk1 with 45k miles (so about 70k kms) on the clock, even though we had to change country (come to IE) and just got a newborn at the same time. My rationale was: it would cost us close to triple what we'd get for it at best (in UK, or a year later in IE) second-hand, in order to get hold of another convertible with the same pedigree (history, mileage, etc.) and specs, if we ever wanted one again. That's because it had just about bottomed in 2nd-hand value for the year/model. Mileage doesn't make that big a difference in the value if it's been regularly serviced and looked after, especially on already-bomb-proof MX5s ;)

Of course, "the advisers are not the payers", so please yourself... that's just my €0.02 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The MX5 is a legend car, best handling front engined, rear wheel drive roadster I reckon! Don't even think of replacing it with an MG or Z3. Inferior cars.
    I'll pretend the Santa Fe thing never happened.

Biro wrote: »
    The MX5 is a legend car, best handling front engined, rear wheel drive roadster I reckon! Don't even think of replacing it with an MG or Z3. Inferior cars.
    I'll pretend the Santa Fe thing never happened.

Haha, whats wrong with the Santa Fe? I don't know much about cars but I like the look of it. I wouldn't mind getting something along those lines. It sure would make a change looking down on traffic rather than looking up at it! :p:D

ambro25 wrote: »
    That's not high mileage for an MX5, far from it (it's just about entering adolescence :D) and most of the depreciating is already done. As I suggested in my earlier post, I believe you're now looking at increments of €1k a year (if that, by now - could be less), rather than multiples of €1k a year.

Considering the difficulty anyone in IE appears to suffer currently when trying to shift anything older than 5 years (convertible or not), you'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Just consider the replacement cost for a minute, like for like: what you need to pay to get what you already have, but newer (convertible / engine size / known history, etc), not forgetting insurancer hike (likely), depreciation hike (definitely, and large-ish) and other oft-ignored cost factors.

Consider also, what the timescale is within which you're going to keep it: family next year? or in 3 years time? or likely later? Any other likely life/situation changes? This to paint a picture of how long you could hang on to your '99 at zero cost (well, figuratively of course) versus how long you would incur higher depreciation on a newer car...

By way of reference, I decided to keep our '98 Mk1 with 45k miles (so about 70k kms) on the clock, even though we had to change country (come to IE) and just got a newborn at the same time. My rationale was: it would cost us close to triple what we'd get for it at best (in UK, or a year later in IE) second-hand, in order to get hold of another convertible with the same pedigree (history, mileage, etc.) and specs, if we ever wanted one again. That's because it had just about bottomed in 2nd-hand value for the year/model. Mileage doesn't make that big a difference in the value if it's been regularly serviced and looked after, especially on already-bomb-proof MX5s ;)

Of course, "the advisers are not the payers", so please yourself... that's just my €0.02 :)

Hmm wise man! Well I really don't know! I just fancied a change! I only have it 3 years in May. Maybe when the better weather comes in and I get to take the top off now and then it might breath fresh air into it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

I have a 92' mx5 and my wife has a 07' qashqai and i know if it came to having to sell one or the other the nissan would be gone. The mx5 was bought as a temporary car last year but is now the car both of us go for when we want to go for a spin. She has had a 206cc and a mini before but none of them get close to the mazda.
    Why would you want to drive something like the santa fe? They look horrible, and are crap to drive.
    BTW that sort of mileage on an mx5 is nothing and as I'm sure you know at this stage the reliability is bulletproof.
    I had my top down this morning on a country road with the heater on No.4. Bliss!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Haha, whats wrong with the Santa Fe? I don't know much about cars but I like the look of it. I wouldn't mind getting something along those lines. It sure would make a change looking down on traffic rather than looking up at it! :p:D

An MX5 is designed with driving pleasure in mind, and it is so sucessful at it, the competitors try to match it. A Sante Fe is some 4 wheel drive thing that brings people where they're going.

To try to describe it more, listening to a good Hi-Fi system playing Paverotti is where you sit back and let the sounds fill the room and ressonate with your mind and body, and feel the passion in the song.
    Boyzone on the radio is just noise coming from some box in the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

OP, if you fancy a change you could go for an upgrade on the model you have.. ie if you don't have leather, get one with leather. If you have the 1.6 (which is desperately underpowered) get the 1.8, which is a bit quicker, or if you have the 1.8 get the official turbo. Or even if you have the 1.6 get the turbo.

An MX5 is designed with driving pleasure in mind, and it is so sucessful at it, the competitors try to match it. A Sante Fe is some 4 wheel drive thing that brings people where they're going.

To try to describe it more, listening to a good Hi-Fi system playing Paverotti is where you sit back and let the sounds fill the room and ressonate with your mind and body, and feel the passion in the song.

I hear ya! :)

JHMEG wrote: »
    OP, if you fancy a change you could go for an upgrade on the model you have.. ie if you don't have leather, get one with leather. If you have the 1.6 (which is desperately underpowered) get the 1.8, which is a bit quicker, or if you have the 1.8 get the official turbo. Or even if you have the 1.6 get the turbo.

Well I think if I was to change it would be an upgrade. My current one is a 1999 Mk2, 1.8, 6-speed jap import. I am not sure if I ever saw a turbo one :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Nice analogy :D

An MX5 is designed with driving pleasure in mind, and it is so sucessful at it, the competitors are still trying to match it nearly 20 years on. A Sante Fe is some 4 wheel drive thing that brings people where they're going.

Fixed :D
    Well I think if I was to change it would be an upgrade. My current one is a 1999 Mk2, 1.8, 6-speed jap import. I am not sure if I ever saw a turbo one :confused:

Nah, that sounds grand. Wish I had 6 speed on my 1.8, would make 180+ kph cruising a bit less noisy :D

The "official turbo one" is the BRG (Google it), made in early 90s in very limited numbers in the UK (1991 I think). Finding a good'un today would be like... well, I'm struggling for a good analogy, suffice say there's probably enough with the fingers of your 2 hands to count'em :(

And no point whatsoever, considering what your current question/connundrum is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Whats desperately underpowered about a car that weighs 1000kgs with 120bhp?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

pburns wrote: »
    Only reason to move up to a Z4/Porker would be snob appeal I think...

Er, no. I have a 1990 '5 for .......8? years now, and I've changed my TT -twice -, 911, E Class, 968, and now........another 968. The '5 is in a class of it's own, as a car. Forget the image ****e, it's still a stonking car to drive. I personally think the Mk2 gets a bit lost in the crowd compared to the Mk1 - the pop lights, whilst not pretty, up, are distinctive. Ditto on the MK3, although I concede the interior is very, very nice. th

Or, keep the '5, like I did, and park a 968 beside it. For variety, like...;) it won't cost you much more than changing your '5 for another one........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

groupb wrote: »
    Whats desperately underpowered about a car that weighs 1000kgs with 88bhp?

Fixed. I think you'll agree that's not a lot of power!

They're as low as 88bhp as Mazda detuned them to create a wider gap between 1.6 and 1.8. (OP's car is a '99 remember)

Haha, whats wrong with the Santa Fe? I don't know much about cars but I like the look of it.
    Go for it then. You should find it very practical and it's probably quite comfortable. Never mind ppl telling you to hold onto the mx5 because they want you to.

Never mind ppl telling you to hold onto the mx5 because they want you to.

I kinda take exception to that post.

By your logic, I'm definitely a 'they', but I did not tell the OP to hold onto his car because 'I want him to' (I couldn't give two f*cks, really), I asked the OP why hadn't he considered hanging onto it to enjoy cheap motoring for a while, and gave some ideas as to why he might want to do that.

The advice would have been exactly the same (minus the MX5 chit-chat), had it been a '99 Yaris.

Your coat's the one with the Hyundai dealership address on :p

(which is kinda ironic, given your sig... with which I agree entirely, let it be said ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Never mind ppl telling you to hold onto the mx5 because they want you to.

Sorry, but that is a rather pointless thing to say.

The OP is asking advice/opinions, that is what most people are giving. If you don't agree with the majority who think he/she should keep the car, thats fine. But that is just a silly thing to say, IMO.

Ambro, you're a long time mx5 fan, by your own admission. Therefore I'd expect you to say hold onto your mx5, even if it's not the best advice for the OP, as you are simply biased.

Other people say it is designed with driving pleasure in mind, and it is so sucessful at it, the competitors try to match it. Other people have never even driven one.

The OP is not interested much in cars. Therefore the mx5 naunces are probably lost, and a Santa Fe might indeed be a better car for the OP. He/she won't know till they try, will they.

By my own admission, if it was an ITR, I would be telling the OP to hold onto it, for similar reasons (it's one of the finest driver's cars ever made, and probably the best handling FWD car ever made). But hey, I am biased too.;)

• Advertisement

Ambro, you're a long time mx5 fan, by your own admission. Therefore I'd expect you to say hold onto your mx5, even if it's not the best advice for the OP, as you are simply biased.

That's your opinion, and of course you're fully entitled to it, but that is simply not the case at hand at all.

Explain to me where, in my posts, have I not made economical sense, and have I demonstrated bias towards an MX-5 specifically?

Just replace MX-5 by Yaris or Fabia in my posts, and come back telling me they're biased :rolleyes: I also recall (can't be arsed quoting but it's there) telling the OP explicitly that advisers are not payers, whereby he should please himself in the end.

Of course I'm enthustiastic about MX-5s, but not to the point of advising a poster to cut their nose to spite their face: the OP has paid up his car in full, he has not reported any issues with it, he's looking like he wants to change for the hell/sake of it, I think (my opinion) he'd be throwing good money out unnecessarily. Keeping and running cars economically 2 to 3 years after they're paid off (having been bought second-hand in the first place, so most of the depreciating done by then) has been my "car ownership model" for the last 15 years, it's served me well, I'm suggesting it as an alternative, end of.
    By my own admission, if it was an ITR I would be telling the OP to hold onto it, for similar reasons (it's one of the finest driver's cars ever made, and probably the best handling FWD car ever made). But hey, I am biased too.

Ah! 'Thy neighbor's eye' and all that... it all seems clearer now :p:D

Advertisement