Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing car in summer...newer MX5??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

So, you're not biased then?

ambro25 wrote: »
    Your coat's the one with the Hyundai dealership address on :p
    Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

:hey, this thread is getting good ! :D

popcorn4jj.gifpopcorn4jj.gifpopcorn4jj.gif

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

"Your coat (etc.)" was a joke. Good-natured. Obviously lost on you. So never mind.

Are you a trained and certified politician, JHMEG? What's with answering questions with questions? :D

In this thread no, I am not biased. If the OP decides to change cars everytime he just finishes paying off a consumer credit, instead of using the opportunity to enjoy cheaper motoring costs for a while until the car becomes too uneconomical/unsuitable to run, that's his prerogative, who am I to judge how people run their personal finances?

So, JHMEG, what is the best advice for the OP? :cool:

Straight question. Cut to the chase and finish up: are you mx5 biased or not? (And you're calling me a politician!)
    So, JHMEG, what is the best advice for the OP? :cool:
    Have said it already. But here it is again in case you missed it the first time: go for the Santa Fe if that's what the OP wants.
    galwaytt wrote: »
    :hey, this thread is getting good ! :D

popcorn4jj.gifpopcorn4jj.gifpopcorn4jj.gif

Love those smilies!burnout.gif

• Advertisement

Sorry, JHMEG, edited my earlier post while you were typing yours, so I'll just copy-paste it again for the sake of cohesiveness:

In this thread no, I am not biased.

This thread is about car ownership and cost - opportunities, not about the merits of the car itself (the merits relative to other cars, e.g. "which is best", "should I buy and MX-5 or an MGF or an Elise"...). A discussion about the merits of the car is the only context within which I may let bias get the better of me (the MX5 is better than the Elise, there I said it! :D)

If the OP decides to change cars every time he just finishes paying off a consumer credit, instead of using the opportunity to enjoy cheaper motoring costs for a while until pennies are saved for something else (car or whatever) and/or the car becomes too uneconomical to run, or unsuitable to transporting needs, that's his prerogative. Who am I to judge how people run their personal finances?

But advising the OP to just "go for the Santa Fe if that's what he wants" is not advice (in my opinion), it's just suggesting one of his two choices without much of any reasoning: the OP wouldn't be posting/asking, if he knew that's what he wanted :)

But advising the OP to go for the Santa Fe is not advice (in my opinion), it's suggesting one his two choices without much of any reasoning.
    I had a bit of a think about this and I reckon the majority of people I know would go the the Santa Fe over an MX5. That's enough for me. (Personally neither are to my taste).

The OP likes the Santa Fe, so why not sell the mx5 and buy a 2nd hand Santa Fe? In fact a quick look at carzone shows the mx5 holds its value quite well, and the OP should be able to trade a 1999 mx5 for a 2001 Santa Fe. What's not to recommend about that?

Owning a car makes no financial sense in the first place. But financial sense is not what this is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

JHMEG wrote: »
    the OP should be able to trade a 1999 mx5 for a 2001 Santa Fe. What's not to recommend about that?

MX5 is a nicer drivers car and will depreciate alot slower in the coming years.

Bias has nothing to do with it:

OP asks opinion
    Others give opinion (based on sound financial & motoring grounds)
    JHMEG tells OP to ignore others, because JHMEG doesn't agree with them.
    :confused:

I had a bit of a think about this and I reckon the majority of people I know would go the the Santa Fe over an MX5. That's enough for me. (Personally neither are to my taste).

Sorry for pointing out the obvious, but... that's just "guesstimated hearsay" and still hasn't advised the OP as to why he should or shouldn't go from an MX5 to a Santa Fe. It's what you "believe people you know would do": on what basis? why would they? That's what matters to this discussion.
    The OP likes the Santa Fe, so why not sell the mx5 and buy a 2nd hand Santa Fe? In fact a quick look at carzone shows the mx5 holds its value quite well, and the OP should be able to trade a 1999 mx5 for a 2001 Santa Fe. What's not to recommend about that?

Nothing? Everything? You appear to be missing something: the OP likes the SantaFe and the MX5. The fact of the matter is that the two cars are at such polar extremes of the motoring spectrum, that discussing the merits of the cars themselves appears somewhat pointless. Which is why -
    But financial sense is not what this is about.

is wrong (IMHO), financial sense should on the contrary be rolled into it, in view of how dissimilar the car types in question are. Which is why I suggested a 'third way' or the 'C' option :D

OP, just test-drive a Santa Fe, then come back & post your thoughts/impressions? I don't know you or your motoring experiences, but expect a significantly different experience, because of height (from having your @ss on the tarmac, to your head in the clouds :D) and vehicle mass dynamics (from ramrod-straight body, to possibly quite pronounced body roll, when taking corners :D)

Grand, but that's just "guesstimated hearsay"
    Is that the official term, or your term?
    and still hasn't advised the OP why he should or shouldn't go from an MX5 to a Santa Fe.
    The SF seems to suit more people in the real world than the MX5. There.
    You appear to be missing something: the OP likes the SantaFe
    Everyone bar me dismissed it out of hand and told him/her to stick with the mx5. Hardly reasoned debate?
    ambro25 wrote:
    OP, just test-drive a Santa Fe, then come back & post your thoughts/impressions?
    Now, that's unbiased.

OP, yes, please let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Lads, stop bickering. We all know that what the OP should do is buy an Octavia and put the MX5 and a Santa Fe in the boot.

The SF seems to suit more people in the real world than the MX5. There.

Everyone bar me dismissed it out of hand and told him/her to stick with the mx5. Hardly reasoned debate?

My, my, they sure are mighty fine black devices for boiling water you've got there, JHMEG. Wouldn't want to drop them from there, might hurt someone down here.

Santa Fes for Soccer Mums, MX5s for hairdressers, Octavias for taxi drivers and Subaru FTW [evil smiley]

My, my, they sure are mighty fine black devices for boiling water you've got there, JHMEG. Wouldn't want to drop them from there, might hurt someone down here.
    Mmm... Bank holiday weekend... Liquid lunch in the Halfway there ambro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

You said that the mx5 1.6 put out 88bhp. It did - from 95' to 98' , but as you correctly state the op's car is an 99' which in good health would have been throwing out 108bhp.
    Ever heard of power to weight ratio?
    Any i don't know why i'm bothering when you're encouraging the OP to get a santa fe which will obivously be quicker because it has more power!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

groupb wrote: »
    You said that the mx5 1.6 put out 88bhp. It did - from 95' to 98' , but as you correctly state the op's car is an 99' which in good health would have been throwing out 108bhp.
    Ever heard of power to weight ratio?
    Any i don't know why i'm bothering when you're encouraging the OP to get a santa fe which will obivously be quicker because it has more power!

Mate you're gonna fight a lone battle if you think the mx5 wasn't woefully underpowered from the factory, and im not even talking about the 1.6L tin can version. Lovely car to drive with the top down but not even the cars surefootedness on the road can take from the fact that an extra 70hp on the 1.8L model and you'd have a real performance car. And this is coming from an ex mx5 owner myself.

Mmm... Bank holiday weekend... Liquid lunch in the Halfway there ambro?

Not in the least (although I am walking these days, so I could).

However, any form of subtlety appears entirely wasted on you, and I don't know what came over me to try and have a discussion with you, narrow-minded as you appear to be. Don't mind me, and enjoy conformism :)

OP, apologies for a little bit of leftfield posting in your thread, I mistakenly though some valid points would come out about the Santa Fe option :cool: ;)

health would have been throwing out 108bhp.
    You'd be laughing at lad with a 108bhp Civic who started going on about power to weight...

However, any form of subtlety appears entirely wasted on you, and I don't know what came over me to try and have a discussion with you, narrow-minded as you appear to be. Don't mind me, and enjoy conformism :)
    Yup, you can carry on there being subtle ambro. Good luck with it! Hope you find someone who doesn't waste it for you.:D

Funny too how people's alter egos come out on the internet.

Conformist, I'll think about that for a sec. 4 door family saloons are conformist, no? Unless of course you have a P1, but I don't think you're that individual.

Conformist, I'll think about that for a sec. 4 door family saloons are conformist, no? Unless of course you have a P1, but I don't think you're that individual.

Not P1, sorry to disappoint. I do have a kid so it's got to have 4 doors indeed. So a WRX instead.

Care to share what you drive?

Care to share what you drive?
    Have 2 kids, the elder of whom is 12, and have never had more than 2 doors... It can be done if you're arsed.

Or you could just conform.. you'll be getting a Santa Fe next.. :p

(Hint: don't lecture about conformity. People in glasshouses, etc...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

You'd be laughing at lad with a 108bhp Civic who started going on about power to weight...

Why? Thats too much power for a shopping trolley.
    Anyway put us out of our misery and tell us what you drive.

Why? Thats too much power for a shopping trolley.
    And I get accused of making useless statements!
    Anyway put us out of our misery and tell us what you drive.

A Santa Fe...

(Hint: don't lecture about conformity. People in glasshouses, etc...)

LOL, now that is priceless! :D

LOL, now that is priceless! :D
    You're quite good at attempting deflection, I'll hand you that. So let us not forget that a 4 door saloon owner should not be lecturing on conformity.

Now that's priceless.

You're quite good at attempting deflection, I'll hand you that. So let us not forget that a 4 door saloon owner should not be lecturing on conformity.

Now that's priceless.

What, exactly, have I got to deflect :confused:

I'm also a motorbike onwer and a 2-door convertible owner: which pigeon hole now?

I'll grant you something: asking a 2-door convertible owner to switch to a gas-guzzling planet-killing SUV in this day and age is rather anti-conformist.

See, there's hope for you yet :D:p

which pigeon hole now?
    Look man, give it up. You had one child and you had to get a 4 door saloon. Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Wow, I forgot about this thread!

And I return to find a bitch fight between yiz!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your input guys. I have yet to testdrive a Santa Fe but I do like the look of a big, black, chunky SUV type car! I saw a lovely Audi Q7 the other day! :p

But in this day and age, I guess, it is not really economically or enviromentally friendly!

But, at the end of the day I do love my MX5. I went out to Joe Duffy motors in Finglas the other day to take a look at the MK3 they had. I was curious to sit in one and to see the automatic roof in action. Unfortunately the roof was not working which was funny.

It was comfortable to sit in, the interior was gorgeous and it seemed lower down than the MK2!

It was in a copper red colour which wouldn't really appeal to me. I currently have a silver one but I do like the look of the Galaxy Grey and the really deep blue one and perhaps black.

I must do a testdrive one of these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jargarbo

I would say.... go get that MK3! If you havent test drive the mK3 just give me a shout! YOu just have to bear the copper red! LOL! I think it will be cool to havea drive out with all MX5 passing by the street!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Are there no mods in this forum to shut ambro and JHMEG up? Just kiss and make up ffs, noone cares.

• Advertisement
Advertisement