Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to expect

Options
  • 13-03-2008 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all,

This may seem stupid to a lot of people and also hope this is the correct forum for this post.

My mother will be going for a hysterectomy soon. I'm finishing up work soon and will be around to look after her for a few weeks. Just wondering does anyone here know what to expect, how long will recovery be, how long will she be bed bound etc? I wont be alone looking after her my sister will also be there for a week to look after more sensitive things. I know its major surgery but it happens every day of the week and I just dont know what to expect. Any advice for a worried son.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

My mother had a hysterectomy 11 years ago when she was 35 and following the operation she was out of work for 5 months. Expect depression and a very weepy mother and she will be very sore for a while. She may not be allowed to drive, depending on how she's healing. My mother was not bed bound, but house bound for a few days. Depending on her age she may have early onset menopause, which in itself can be distressing for a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

As she'll probably be stuck around the house for a while DVD boxsets could be a lifeline - all of the online DVD rental crowds do them, or if you know there's a program that she loves and would watch again and again there's HMV, etc. Daytime tv could be used as a torture to extract information from prisoners of war....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 moonstone77

a good son by the sounds of it.. its going to be a sentamental time for your mum as most women who have it done feel something missing from them .. its like a final step for a women who once carried children and she may feel deep loss as a result. when my mum had it done she had a touch of depression afterwards but thats not to say anything. she was up and about in little under a week but was sore ans stiff.. her heart seemed to hurt more. bless you and your mum shel be fine with a good lad like you to look out for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

The scar she will have will be similar to that of a Caesarean section, and the recovery time will be similar. Physically, she will recover relatively quickly, but she may well be very emotional and down in herself, so plenty of TLC and positive attitude around her will do her no end of good.

Good luck to her - she's lucky to have you watching out for her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedRag

Thanks everyone for replies. You have all been very helpful n also cheered me up about the whole thing. Good idea with the DVD's cuckoo. Thanks again everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement