Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget for various places

• 13-03-2008 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

OK, thinking of a bit of a RTWish trip. I did a search but it seems that most threads regarding budgets never really get resolved. At the moment we're trying to figure out where to go (we'll be going for ~8 months) so I'm just going to fire out a load of places and see what kind of money we're talking about.

China (if we go here it would likely be during the Olympics. Would this be good or bad? Probably not talking about going to Beijing, rather doing a bit of the Great Wall. I know the country is massive and I haven't really looked into where exactly to go but I suppose it's worth a shot looking for a budget anyway).

India

Thailand (did this on about €20/day a couple of years ago. This time around we'll probably be just hitting the islands to laze around the beach. Was thinking maybe €30/day?).

Cambodia (missed out on this place when I was in SE Asia. I presume I could do €20 a day?)

New Zealand (I was told maybe €25/day excluding cost of van and activities?).

Australia (East coast)

Polynesia (Not sure where abouts here tbh, just trying to get a feel for how much it would cost. I've heard it's more expensive than you'd think)

Hawaii (Might be a bit OTT. I've been there before and know it's not cheap.)

Vancouver (British Columbia) {thinking of maybe going here for a short time on the way back, possibly with a view to going skiing in Whistler}

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Bump. Surely someone can help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Thailand (did this on about €20/day a couple of years ago. This time around we'll probably be just hitting the islands to laze around the beach. Was thinking maybe €30/day?).

Spent a month there last year on RTW trip - got by on just over a grand for the month so €30 or therabouts is grand once your not expecting a 5 star experience :)
    Cambodia (missed out on this place when I was in SE Asia. I presume I could do €20 a day?)

Cheaper than Thailand but id say €25-30 a day would be more realistic - entrance to the Angkor temples is €25 for 1 day, more for a 3 day pass
    New Zealand (I was told maybe €25/day excluding cost of van and activities?).

If you fancy a few beers in the evening, id up that budget to maye €35-40
    Food can be pricey too
    Australia (East coast)

Alot :D Depends on what your after, partying every night or occasionally?? tours can be expensive (whitsundays, barrier reef, frasier island) so id say look at how long your planning to be there but in 1 month-ish, i got rid of more grand than id like to remember

Cant be of any help on the others but have heard that Hawaii is expensive, sounds amazing though

Enjoy the trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

if you have someone to share a room with and dont mind getting a fan room you should be fine with €20 a day in cambodia, you would obviously have to add a little more for travel expenses and some of the touristy things can be expensive like Angkor which was already mentioned.
    €30 a day in Thailand is plenty as well especially if your just gonna be chilling on the beaches but it depends on which island, apparently phi phi and samui are pretty expensive but koh phangan is reasonably cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Check this out as a guidline for a wide variety of places worldwide..

http://www.round-the-world-trip.com/files/AverageCostDay.xls

Not sure how accurate it is but even just for comparative value between countries.

AB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Check out this Travel Budget Calculator also this site has great country summaries and tells you what to expect to spend per day in each one

• Advertisement
Advertisement