Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Langster for sale

Options
  • 13-03-2008 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

Well i went and did it, (Buy a house that is) and now my commute to work has gone from 7.5k each way to 18k each way and i dont think one gear is gonna cut it!
    Therefor i'm gonna have to part with my beloved '08 langster. :(
    Its been treated like royalty since i bought it (18/10/07). It sleeps indoors and rarely gets subjected to the rain.

600euro new, selling for 540euro. I have the receipt and warranty booklet.

Frame size 56cm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Good luck getting that much for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

why? its practically new. It would save someone 60 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

mkdon05 wrote: »
    Well i went and did it, (Buy a house that is) and now my commute to work has gone from 7.5k each way to 18k each way and i dont think one gear is gonna cut it!

18km? Thats easy on a fixie, come on. If its flat your average speed will be about 20-25 kmph, you're looking at a 45 minute or so cycle, thats well within anyones range.

it would be grand going in to work, but its pretty much all up hill on the way home, well a lot of hills anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Keep it! You can do that easy on one gear. No problem to ya.

• Advertisement

How many miles are on it? Bikes tend to depreciate faster than alot of other things.

Also, it wouldn't save someone 60 quid - guarantee you that if you bought that bike in a shop, you could get a few euro off it, or some free stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I was looking at an O8 Langster, about 4 months old, the seller had dropped to €400. Bikes depreciate rather quickly.

If you're worried about hills could you not change the gear ratio slightly?

I reckon i used it for a total off 11 weeks since new, 46 miles a week = 506miles.

You dont tend to get much off bikes in that price range, unless your a shameless haggler.

lukester wrote: »
    I was looking at an O8 Langster, about 4 months old, the seller had dropped to €400. Bikes depreciate rather quickly.

If you're worried about hills could you not change the gear ratio slightly?

See my problem is that in the morning i'm going downhill and need speed and in the evening i need a higher gear for hills.

All in all if I dont get what i want for it i'll just keep it. I have 2 other bikes (Racer - dont really want to take this to work, and Hybrid - not the quickest machine around) but would like to get another road bike for commuting.

I reckon i used it for a total off 11 weeks since new, 46 miles a week = 506miles.

You dont tend to get much off bikes in that price range, unless your a shameless haggler.

Wrong I got 60 quid off/free stuff when I bought my Sirrus and I'm the worst haggler ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

What size is it? Agree with the others though, you will not get anywhere near €540. Invert the first two numbers and you would be closer (like this one).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

See my problem is that in the morning i'm going downhill and need speed and in the evening i need a higher gear for hills.

Nice bike - seems to be in good nick too. A bit dear for second hand but it's not like you're ripping anyone off.

Regarding the uphill/downhill issue - just get yourself a flip/flop rear hub (maybe it already has one). Put a larger cog on the flip side and you'll have a high gear for getting to work and a low gear for getting home.

it 56.5 cm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Morgan wrote: »
    Nice bike - seems to be in good nick too. A bit dear for second hand but it's not like you're ripping anyone off.

Regarding the uphill/downhill issue - just get yourself a flip/flop rear hub (maybe it already has one). Put a larger cog on the flip side and you'll have a high gear for getting to work and a low gear for getting home.

Does one not need to lengthen the chain to do this.. ? Or I suppose if horizontal/track dropouts, can just adjust that way..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Verb wrote: »
    Does one not need to lengthen the chain to do this.. ? Or I suppose if horizontal/track dropouts, can just adjust that way..?

as long as the two cogs are within a tooth or two of each other it's fine. the wheel will just be a little further forward/back in the dropout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

most people whould prefer to buy that new from a shop for an extra €60

also IBTL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

E@gle. wrote: »
    also IBTL

I'd Buy That Langster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Regarding the uphill/downhill issue - just get yourself a flip/flop rear hub (maybe it already has one).

The Langster has one alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

I'd Buy That Langster?

no it meand "i beat to lock"

im counting on this thread getting locked the cycling forum is turning into adverts lately

Actually it really means "in before the lock".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Jesus if its 600 list price you could haggle the bike shop down to 540 for a new langster. I'd say 400 tops for it.

E@gle. wrote: »
    no it meand "i beat to lock"

im counting on this thread getting locked the cycling forum is turning into adverts lately

Its generally accepted that it is ok to post your bikes for sale here. Provided your postcount isnt 1.
    If your not interested in what the title says then dont open the thread:rolleyes:

tunney wrote: »
    Jesus if its 600 list price you could haggle the bike shop down to 540 for a new langster. I'd say 400 tops for it.

Must bring you with me when i'm buying the next bike.

Yea thats 600 euro please......

Ah here Boss c'mon i need to buy the babby some clowdes, i'll give ya 500....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

No need to bring me, just your balls.

tunney wrote: »
    No need to bring me, just your balls a grandad cap and a hiace

smacks of pikey

In fact, in some shops you don't even need to haggle. They fall over themselves to offer you a discount on the list price.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd join the chorus in saying 90 per cent of retail is a overly optimistic. Then again, no harm in chancing your arm. Someone might bite.

Someone a while back linked to the Bike Snob NYC blog. He's got the Pistadex, in which he tracks second hand Bianchi Pista's going on Craigslist for at or near retail price.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

It's a nice bike alright, but 540 is unrealistic. OP, try 450-475 and you might get some bites.

--

ASIDE: please, if you are selling a bike PUT THE FRAME SIZE IN THE POST. It's essential info for potential buyers, noone will buy without.

Advertisement