Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Gateway

Options
  • 13-03-2008 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have read a bit about the new gateway project for UCD.
    Anybody know where the funds for the building and the consultancy fees are coming from? We will waste the consultancy fees if the thing isnt build.

The architects, engneers and solicators must be costing a bomb, I hope the fees dont come from funds that should be spent on us students. :mad:

The college papers are very quite on the subject. Its seems
    to be Hugh Bradys pet project.:confused: Why not a new Library instead Hugh?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The UCD gateway project should be abandoned. It is patently useless and is a monument to folly.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

I have read a bit about the new gateway project for UCD.
    Anybody know where the funds for the building and the consultancy fees are coming from? We will waste the consultancy fees if the thing isnt build.

The architects, engneers and solicators must be costing a bomb, I hope the fees dont come from funds that should be spent on us students. :mad:

The college papers are very quite on the subject. Its seems
    to be Hugh Bradys pet project.:confused: Why not a new Library instead Hugh?

New Libraries won't act as revenue generators. And what's needed for the libraries is cash for new books and overflow study space around exam time, not new buildings.

There's been fundraising going on behind the scenes for the gateway project for a good while now... I think the Coke CEO put a chunk of cash towards it and there's more cash coming from other donors.

Seeing as it is supposed to fix a lot of the issues UCD has, people seem to be very negative about it... It's to include multistory carparks in each of the three parts of UCD, bring in a lot of on-campus facilities and provide a lot more on campus accomodation. Might bring a bit of life into the place after lectures...

The negative aspects seem to be a large commercial concern including supermarkets and shops. I'm guessing that these are there to be revenue generators as they'll have to lease space in the new buildings. Not very appropriate for a university though I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 the ucd gimp

Car parks? I assume we will have to pay to use them.
    How much did mr coke put in?

The only way i think it can work is with some property
    developer and all the non revenue stuff the students want will go
    to make room for more offices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Red Alert wrote: »
    The UCD gateway project should be abandoned. It is patently useless and is a monument to folly.

Exactly. If they put some effort into redeveloping what's already there (not as glamorous, I know, but there ya go) they wouldn't have to plant a whopper building on top of the entrance. Christ, even a lick of paint on the Arts block would work wonders.

Advertisement