Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experimental Cooking- Post your Ideas Here!

• 13-03-2008 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

I'd love to here about people's own ideas for tasty recipes. So post them here!!!

For lunch- I'm going to partly steam a potato, dice it and then lightly fry it in butter. Add ham and chives and mix it in some cream cheese. It sounds nice in my head...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

sounds nice from here too, let us know how you get on......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,461 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My new thing to try is to sub silverskin onion for regular in a stir fry,
    I have a rabbit and quail dish that had them in it and it worked well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

nerdysal wrote: »
    I'd love to here about people's own ideas for tasty recipes. So post them here!!!

For lunch- I'm going to partly steam a potato, dice it and then lightly fry it in butter. Add ham and chives and mix it in some cream cheese. It sounds nice in my head...

You've probably done it already but what I would do is not bother with the steaming, just dice it and cook in from raw in butter on a lowish heat covered for 5 minutes, then give it a quick mix, and do the same again on a slightly higher heat. You get lovely crisy bits and softer bits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Im sorry but that sounds horible.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

It was lovely actually. The chives added a fantastic flavour to it. Livened up the ould spuds.

What's everyone else doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

I'm thinking of trying meatballs baked with penne pasta, mushrooms,chorizo sausage covered in a tomato sauce topped with some mozzarella and fresh basil!
    I think it sounds nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,603 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Cut some parmesan into rough balls, no more than 2cm diameter. Cover in mince beef and garlic (to about the size of a meatball) and cover in breadcrumbs (using whipped egg as adhesive). Pan fry with some soya sauce.

May end up making me sick from food poisoning and/or sheer horribleness, but I must try it some time

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

Oooh, both those ideas for meatballs sound yummy

Anyone got any ideas for a tin a tuna?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Oooh, both those ideas for meatballs sound yummy

Anyone got any ideas for a tin a tuna?

I don't have any for a tin of tuna i'm afraid, would be interested in that actually too! Possibly some pasta bake as well?

I made the meatball one last night, it was really delicious. It was cheap and easy to make!

1 / First i put the sauce on by frying an onion, garlic, mushrooms on a pan for a few mins, the i added a can of tinned tomatos followed by a good pinch of sugar.
    Then i added some red wine and put a lot of salt and pepper in. I let it simmer away with a couple of bay leaves and some chopped basil. Also some chilli flakes, gives it a bit of a kick.

2/ While the sauce is simmering away i made the meatballs by frying an onion and letting it cool for a minute. (I also put the penne pasta on)
    Then mixed it with my minced beef, breadcrumbs, rosemary, oregano, drop of soy sauce, small dollop of ketchup, salt pepper and bound together by a small bit of beaten egg. I then rolled them into little balls. Fryed them off until just cooked.

3/ I poured the strained pasta on the base of a pyrex dish followed by the meatballs on top.
    After blitzing up the sauce i poured it all over the meatballs and pasta. On top of the sauce then i added some chopped chorizo sausage and chopped my mozzarella and sprinkeld all over the top of the sauce.

4/ Cooked in an oven until the cheese is brown and melted. Served with some freshly chopped basil on top and another seasoning of pepper.
    All done in 30 mins or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wonkavision

Hey

I'm a virgin to boards.ie, but I tried tomato and basil ice cream with a prawn salad at a wedding Spain last year and it was out of this world. So i bought an ice cream maker off ebay for €20 including delivery (Bargain) and I'm gonna try and recreate it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Hey

I'm a virgin to boards.ie, but I tried tomato and basil ice cream with a prawn salad at a wedding Spain last year and it was out of this world. So i bought an ice cream maker off ebay for €20 including delivery (Bargain) and I'm gonna try and recreate it.

Good stuff. Let us know how you get on.

Welcome to boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Kitty_N

I don't know how "experimental" this is but I tried it last night and it turned out really well.

I rubbed some chicken breasts with garlic and lemon juice and then stuck them in the George Foreman for 15 mins.
    In the meantime I made up some tomato sauce, defrosted some spinach and chopped some mozzarella.

Melted the cheese on the chicken and threw everything on some spagetti....yum!

(Tomato sauce was just a tin of chopped tomatoes, little bit of red wine, vegtable stock cube, basil, oregano, chili flakes, salt, a few shakes of garlic pepper and a tiny bit of tabasco sauce)

Advertisement