Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

denis160 wrote:
    Where's traders?

The buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 60,614 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Does anyone know if St. Laurence O'Toole's is open to the public to just go up and walk around the track or do you have to be a member?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Does anyone know if St. Laurence O'Toole's is open to the public to just go up and walk around the track or do you have to be a member?

I would have always suspected a member to cover them insurance wise but I have seen a lot of gaa clubs installing walk ways around the grounds allowing anybody to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

You can go up Tuesday and Thursday nights pay three euro for single for the two nights or five for a family and that covers both nights too

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

The back field in St. Pats college is open to the public & has a nice tarmaced walkway. Use to be the place for the community games finals 'years' ago! oh the memories :)

• Advertisement

denis160 wrote: »
    The back field in St. Pats college is open to the public & has a nice tarmaced walkway. Use to be the place for the community games finals 'years' ago! oh the memories :)

I started walking up there last week after someone else said it to me.

It's a really nice and peaceful there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

denis160 wrote:
    The back field in St. Pats college is open to the public & has a nice tarmaced walkway. Use to be the place for the community games finals 'years' ago! oh the memories

Yeah it's a great place a hidden gem. We would often go there with the kids on a nice day and kick the ball around and have a sambo on the field. The place would be empty most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

denis160 wrote: »

Fondly remember it myself!

The villages & the towns of Carlow competing to represent the county at the various disciplines.

Getting changed in the back or the boots of cars.

Where's the Community Games located nowadays? Ardattin? Or SLOT?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

iano.p wrote: »
    Yeah it's a great place a hidden gem. We would often go there with the kids on a nice day and kick the ball around and have a sambo on the field. The place would be empty most of the time.

It's a great place for small kids as it's enclosed. I bring their bikes or flickers with me in the car & let them loose on the tarmac. Nice & smooth for skates too !

Ardattin I think the finals are in these days!

I passed by Scraggs today and there is a for sale up on it.

Is this the start of the pub wars with Weatherspoons coming into the town I wonder.

I wonder will the the guy who owns a couple of pubs on Tullow Street try to buy Scraggs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

The Courthouse Hotel is gone now too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Didnt the McLoughlins try to buy Scraggs around the turn of the century or so - would they go at it again?

Was that pre-Barracks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

brianblaze wrote: »
    Was that pre-Barracks?

Yeah very much so, back when the Barracks was the old barracks. :)

So they won't want Scraggs. It's been going for a while now I think, just official now. Courthouse is closed down as of the other night.

Cantina is opening next week, replacing the old Cafe Formenti.

Also, the old Italian Connection is opening under new owners and new style food soon. (Not Italian) New restaraunt expected near me on Tullow St also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Interesting video I just spotted on Broadsheet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Comic-Universe-Carlow/

New comic store in Carlow it seems! Sell coffee and tea too. Always good to see new businesses!

Broken link Brian! Where' the Comic Shop based anyway please? Thanks.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Broken link Brian! Where' the Comic Shop based anyway please? Thanks.

The unit behind Abrakebabra in the Fairgreen.

They may have changed their URL

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Comic-Universe-Carlow/488454091317998?fref=ts

Alos, Weeping Thaiger are moving in to the old Cosmo Brown's building apparently.

• Advertisement

Wonder will Weeping Thaiger open it as a standalone restaurant or have it as the crowning glory within the hotel itself; would love to see it reopened as a hotel and I do see work underway inside currently.

As an aside if it is reopened as a hotel I hope TA don't let users confuse it with how it was ran under previous management.

Tis supposed to be accommodation upstairs, but not a hotel. Student flats maybe?

With Carlow College on its doorstep the student accommodation angle would make sense.

And the IT is only 10 mins. (ish) out the road.

Often wondered why St.Pats have never purchased it in the first place and/or the Nursing Home opposite the courthouse; indeed now that Chan Holdings had gone into receivership McHughs hotel is game ball for student accommodation or a hostel, planning permission dependent.

The houses out by the IT bring in a fortune so it would make sense to put a large student complex alright. Anyone got a few million knocking around?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Only thought a few weeks ago that a comic shop would be a good fit for there. Have pretty much moved onto digital due to space limitations but hopefully they have some decent one off stuff, and will occasionally pick up stuff for the kids. Hopefully it gets a good regular customer base.

How long has the old n9 been 100 km?

4 weeks-ish, bit more maybe

Connie Byrne Hylands (old) place on Dublin St. has the window covered......anyone got deets on what's going in there please?

Levs on the same street got a paint job (& the sign for Leverett & Frys is painted over/gone too) & barrels outside it this afo' too......reopening under new management?

Mex i Can is gone on corner of Tullow St./Charlotte St. Looks like renovation underway inside. Anyone know what's going in in its stead?

Mex i Can = cafe/ bakery
    Lev + Frye reopening, new management
    New Hairdressers in Connies I think

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

Hi Lads
    just moving to Carlow, very excited I must admit. Im enjoying reading all the goings on and chatter on this. Just a thought has anyone ever looked at setting up a bike scheme in the town similar to Dublin bikes? It seems to be self financing and would be a great way to get around the town allthough the local taxi drivers wont be impressed with me for suggesting it :-D

• Advertisement

Hi Lads
    just moving to Carlow, very excited I must admit. Im enjoying reading all the goings on and chatter on this. Just a thought has anyone ever looked at setting up a bike scheme in the town similar to Dublin bikes? It seems to be self financing and would be a great way to get around the town allthough the local taxi drivers wont be impressed with me for suggesting it :-D

Nobody has, but mainly because Carlow is a fairly small town. You'd be across the main bits of town in 15 minutes on a bike. Also, there's the issue of theft of the bicycles, but I know Dublin's scheme had far less of that than expected!

Ring the LEO though, if it's something you're interested in doing. See what grants they say area available to you!

Early welcome to Carlow matey!

Advertisement