Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

ahh it was just a thought even if there were only 4/5 pick up points around the town,
    with a town of 20000+ population it would be a handy way to get around and might take some cars off the road, I wouldent be trying to set it up brian ive my work cut out with my day job! In Dublin the local council in conjunction with a private operator set it up and it is self financing... just a thought.

oh and thanks - so far so good- ive blitzed woodies and some pubs and resturants at the weekend so allready pumping money into the local economy ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Carlow town population is about 13k according to the last census I think. I'm not sure and I'm on the iPad in the cafe so not going to try googling it!

Woodies won't be doing much for the local economy, try Dempseys, locally owned and cheaper in most cases than woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

brianblaze wrote: »
    Carlow town population is about 13k according to the last census I think. I'm not sure and I'm on the iPad in the cafe so not going to try googling it!

Woodies won't be doing much for the local economy, try Dempseys, locally owned and cheaper in most cases than woodies.

22,349 in the 2011 Census. That's people over 1 year of age with Carlow as their usual residence over the previous year.

....we had a very cold winter in 2012 though....

• Registered Users Posts: 60,613 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

After last few posts I got interested in seeing the Census results linked below for anyone else who's interested.

2011 Census Carlow legal town and it's environs.

http://census.cso.ie/areaprofiles/areaprofile.aspx?Geog_Type=ST&Geog_Code=35006

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

brianblaze wrote:

I would imagine Woodies contribute far more to the local economy than Dempsey given the size of their workforce and would certainly question Dempseys being cheaper in "most" cases . Just because a business is owned by someone local doesn't necessarily mean they invest locally

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

tbh I don't find Dempsey's any cheaper than Heiton's and/or Doyles.
    Albeit in limited experience with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Anyone know if the comic shop has updated it's stock?

Dropped in a few weeks ago and it was random back issues for at least twice the price you'd get them in Forbidden Planet. I hope it's a success but don't think it will last too long with that business plan.

Check their Facebook, seems they have

brianblaze wrote: »
    Check their Facebook, seems they have

Cheers,

Had a look on their site there and they just seems to be getting in random stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Anyone know if the comic shop has updated it's stock?

Dropped in a few weeks ago and it was random back issues for at least twice the price you'd get them in Forbidden Planet. I hope it's a success but don't think it will last too long with that business plan.

When you say twice the price do you mean twice the back issue price in FP or twice what you'd get a new release for?

Because twice new release price would be disastrous

Thwip! wrote: »
    When you say twice the price do you mean twice the back issue price in FP or twice what you'd get a new release for?

Because twice new release price would be disastrous

Twice the back issue price. I was tempted to pick up an old Uncanny X-men issue (from the Onslaught crossover, so nothing rare) and it was 4:99, could get it anywhere from 1:00 to 2:50 in FP.

They didn't really seem to have any new releases. Although my son picked up little AvX which I think is fairly recent??

They are in competition with the Mavel App in fairness... Hard to square that away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Twice the back issue price. I was tempted to pick up an old Uncanny X-men issue (from the Onslaught crossover, so nothing rare) and it was 4:99, could get it anywhere from 1:00 to 2:50 in FP.

They didn't really seem to have any new releases. Although my son picked up little AvX which I think is fairly recent??

Little Marvel is a month old at best, if it's #1. A week of it's #2

Anyone know if the Town Hall has closed?

Tried calling into it for the last few days and it's all locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Isn't the Town Hall closed since the Town & County Councils were amalgamated last Summer following the Local Elections?

Think the MDC/Municipal District Council have their monthly meetings there but otherwise the County Council buildings are your port of call for everything these days.

Ok I'm well behind the times then.

Meeting today at 4.30 about the tourism plan for Carlow

I'm closing early to go and see what they're planning
    HAVE YOUR SAY - LOCAL ECONOMIC COMMUNITY PLAN
    Carlow Local Community Development Committee (L.C.D.C.) under the auspices of Carlow County Council is currently preparing a Local Economic and Community Plan (L.E.C.P.) which will inform the type of community and economic development projects which will take place in the county during the period 2015 - 2021.The L.C.D.C. will also oversee the allocation of various funding streams in the county including the new LEADER programme. Tourism naturally has a huge role to play in the development of the L.E.C.P.
    As part of the process the L.C.D.C. is organising a workshop titled "Visiting Carlow" on Thursday, 9th July at 4.30 p.m. in Carlow County Council, Athy Road, Carlow. The workshop, which will take approx. 1.5 hours will focus on the following: tourism and promotion, arts, culture and heritage, environment and habitat.
    In order to make the most effective use of the time available for the workshops each attendee is asked to give some thought to the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of the tourism sector in Carlow.
    Look forward to meeting you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Heard this yesterday:
    Work has stopped on the new Wetherspoons as a certain publican further up Tullow street has lodged an objection. They have to wait to get a license before work can recommence.
    Not surprised if true tbh.

Heard this yesterday: Work has stopped on the new Wetherspoons as a certain publican further up Tullow street has lodged an objection. They have to wait to get a license before work can recommence. Not surprised if true tbh.

I'll be shocked if it is true, to begin with no work has started on the site with Wetherspoons themselves saying it will be nine months to a year before it's ready so I don't see how it's stopped, secondly Wetherspoons clientele are a completely different demographic to that of Dinn Ri whom I presume you are referring to.

They will be subject to the same rigours of the licensing and planning laws as everyone else , they also have ample funds to adapt and comply with those laws, I would be under no doubt that wetherspoons will 100% open in Carlow.

• Advertisement

Was told by someone who works on lower Tullow street. BB has a coffee house opposite so has possibly heard similar?
    I'll be shocked if it is true
    Really, it's not as if they've never lodged objections before.
    to begin with no work has started on the site with Wetherspoons themselves saying it will be nine months to a year before it's ready so I don't see how it's stopped
    They'd been working away on it for weeks then stopped. Yes i read their quote about 9 months also.
    I would be under no doubt that wetherspoons will 100% open in Carlow
    I agree, and look forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Assume Weatherspoons are going into the Buzz's old premises?

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Assume Weatherspoons are going into the Buzz's old premises?

Yea, that's the spot.

They'd been working away on it for weeks then stopped. Yes i read their quote about 9 months also.

That wasn't the beginning of the development though, they were securing the building and making safe the risk areas, disconnecting power points gas systems etc . I would imagine every publican in town is aware of the financial might of wetherspoons and would realise the folly of objecting.

If other pubs can't compete I have little sympathy , the price of beer Is not cheap in this town and yet a lot of premises can't even get basics like toilet facilities right , Dinn Ri Is an example of how investment in your business pays off , I don't mind giving a few cent extra for a beer there the place is class. I can't wait for wetherspoons either. They will also bring value to food market in Carlow as this area can also be a bit pricey for basic carvery .

The jobs will be welcome also and the sooner it opens the better for Tullow St .

As a business owner on tullow street beside where it is going, I'm very curious to see what kind of customer it attracts on a day to day basis.

I'm very much a fan of local enterprise and think chains like this are a blight but I also realise that they are juggernauts that can't be stopped when they set sights on an area.

I, as a somewhat competing business, intend on promoting the hell out of my place to people who are put off going in by the louts falling out of it or the general lack of atmosphere in the place!

I'll post this here as the Omniplex thread is locked.

Tomorrow Thursday 16/7/2015 at 8pm Omniplex is only one of five screens in the country showing Dennis Rodman's Big Bang in Pyongyang

I won't be able to make it sadly it's getting great reviews and it might interest some of you out there.

TodayFM's Matt Cooper was on this trip writing a book the whole thing.
    In 2012, NBA Hall of Famer Dennis Rodman visited North Korea with members of the Harlem Globetrotters to for basketball exhibitions before the North Korean public. No one expected how well he’d hit it off with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Can't find the particular thread specific to the issue (if someone can link me to it it'd be much appreciated please; thanks!) but broadband providers in Ballinkillen then please?

Have someone in the area; currently with Aptus looking for alternative ISPs as recommended by the good folks on here please.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Anyone hear of water supply issues in carlow town?

Nope, didn't get any notices in the door either, and generally commercial properties get a lot of notice of planned disruptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Heard rumblings that the Step House in Borris has gone into receivership.

Advertisement