Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Super-Rush wrote:
    Heard rumblings that the Step House in Borris has gone into receivership.

Wouldn't be surprised had a bad experience a few weeks ago trying to book a retirement dinner. I use to love this place and would hate to see it go

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

iano.p wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised had a bad experience a few weeks ago trying to book a retirement dinner. I use to love this place and would hate to see it go

I'm supposed to be getting married there next year.

Super-Rush wrote:
    I'm supposed to be getting married there next year.

O feck hope it's all sorted by then. Best of luck with the planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

The receivers did come in last Tuesday but be rest assured that it is business as usual and all of the family including Head Chef Alan Foley are very much still working away.

They are hoping to have all resolved by the end of this week.

The Bank Holiday has put a slight delay on things but if you were to walk in to the hotel right now/today, you would never know any different.

They had two weddings over the weekend with one being local and the couples involved and their guests were very happy as it was normal service with the usual staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Was down in The Step House on Sunday and it was packed. Seems to be business as usual so far anyway! Hopefully it will stay that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Nickel is gone from SuperValu centre. Sad to see another business gone but hopefully they're on to bigger and better

• Registered Users Posts: 60,613 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Has there been a increase in begging around the town recently or has it been going on for a while?

It's just something I have noticed the last few times I have been in town over the last week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Has there been a increase in begging around the town recently or has it been going on for a while?

It's just something I have noticed the last few times I have been in town over the last week or two.

I ve seen the same guy begging at numerous locations around the town, Aldi, Rath's, Tesco n Superquinn seem to be his favorites.

Cant say i ve seen too many others sitting with cups out asking for change but i have noticed an increase in people who are "a euro short" for their bus ticket

I've seen a few new homeless lads about, and a lot more of the well known illegal substance sellers about too. I had a run in with one last week but nothing too exciting. Don't see the Gardai going after them either for some reason.

I saw a few of them coming out of a closed up yard the other morning at 7ish so i assume they're sleeping out there.

Owryan wrote: »
    I ve seen the same guy begging at numerous locations around the town, Aldi, Rath's, Tesco n Superquinn seem to be his favorites.

Cant say i ve seen too many others sitting with cups out asking for change but i have noticed an increase in people who are "a euro short" for their bus ticket

There's the guy who goes around asking for change or cigarettes who hitch hikes home from outside high field after a day in town. He just spends the money in the bookies on Dublin St though. His family have had him barred from every other bookies in town. He also takes butts out of ash trays or off the ground.

Then there's the couple who beg on either side of subway on tullow st who I'm fairly certain have a council house outside town there. I see them in the mornings and then all day after that walking about asking for change. I've ran him a few times because he's bad news. She seems harmless enough.

There's an English guy with a beard who freestyle raps around town who wants to argue with everyone. He hasn't been about for a few days now though.

Then there's a few other heroin addicts who are sleeping rough. Think the guy you're talking about is one of these guys. he looks the youngest of all of them. Can't imagine how hard it is for them all really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

TBH i would v rarely be on Tullow st these days so probably not seeing the full extent of the problem.

There is an old boarded up fuel merchants at the roundabout on Accomodation Road that was/is being used as a squat. The gardai have moved people out of it several times but its pretty futile.

One issue is that there is a group of homeless/addicts in the town who have refused repeated offers of help from social services. They seem happy with their set up. Until they start being more than a nuisance then the gardai can do little more.

It is probably a mix off those that I have seen in the last week or two alright.

I know myself and a few others that I know contacted the Gardai & the council about that empty yard so I can imagine plenty of others have as well. I saw yesterday that it has been newly boarded up over the last few days or so.

I'm not sure what the Gardai can really do about it to be honest they can move them on but they will return sooner than later and if the are reusing help form the social services then what can be done.

I seen the lad and girl on tullow street yesterday what looked to me trying to pick a lady's bag when she stopped to talk. When the cops came they just moved over to extra vision.

Big fire on Barrack Street it's all blocked off.

Big fire on Barrack Street it's all blocked off.

What buildings? Twas closed off when I left the cafe an hour ago.

brianblaze wrote: »
    What buildings? Twas closed off when I left the cafe an hour ago.

From what I could see where I was it looked like the off licence beside Deans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

From Emergency Times on Facebook
    CARLOW Update: Firefighters now tackling fire from Barrack Street and also Tullow Street side. Carlow's Chief Fire Officer Gerard W. Guerin confirmed to Emergency Tines that there are 11 fire appliances in attendance including two Water Tankers, a HP and the county's Incident Command Support Unit is also on scene. Barrack St closed. Tullow street and Kennedy Ave very heavy. Carlow Gardai on point duty. There are no injuries or persons unaccounted for.

11219725_10153581190829801_3354667459080535361_n.jpg?oh=e08647b26c93a943b60380f414238621&oe=567186F6

11890922_10153581191169801_8959815852430834803_n.jpg?oh=dfeb170751056ddca43a895a08905190&oe=56415C7F

From what I could see where I was it looked like the off licence beside Deans.

Carpenters?!? Sh*t

Carpenters?!? Sh*t

No the other side Carry out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Carpenters?!? Sh*t

No the other side mate.... The Carry Out one.

• Advertisement

Ahh, yeah. I wonder if it's been started in the Tyndalls place? Hope everyone is okay.

Talk it started in a tanning place up over the off licence.

The fire was in the tanning shop a lot of damage to the roof. The road is still closed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

The John Tyndall got a power washing today. Signage is down too and so too's the canopy I think. Looks like a bit of work going on inside too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    The John Tyndall got a power washing today. Signage is down too and so too's the canopy I think. Looks like a bit of work going on inside too.

was just going to post the same, is it being reopened as a bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Chicharito11

Anyone have any recommendations for places to go running in Carlow?

Nokia6230i wrote:

Good The black paint never suited that building it always looked dirty. It will help clean up that area.

Nokia6230i wrote: »

Zairean brigade might've damaged their roof putting out the fire. Looks terrible in fairness

Eire Og have a decent track around the pitch or you'll see loads going from the Athletics club up to the Talbot hotel and back again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Town or countryside?
    Road or trail?

Lots of people start from askea and do a lap of the town using roundabouts and bridge in graiuge.. Another popular road is out by rugby club and on out to oakpark road some then turn off and come back in castledermot road to town..

Advertisement