Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Maddens Dentist on Tullow St. which sold recently is undergoing work inside.......

Looks like the JT, McHughs Courthouse & the Ritz'll remain mothballed/closed til New Year. Work has stopped on the former for a bit now.

Bake Cafe signage has gone up so can't be too far off opening.

The Barber Co. on Tullow St. (Bradshaws) seems to have shut down recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

iano.p wrote: »
    3 lads went in and couldn't get into the post office part the safety glass held up. One of the lads was very tall and had a foreign accent. From talking to the staff the lads were hanging around mooneys lane for a few hours before.

Social welfare, Christmas bonus, and Child benefit. Picked the right day, if only they'd put as much thought and effort into finding a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Hey Folks just a broadband question for anybody living in the Killerig area.

I moved into a place in October that had internet till December. I don't want taking out a 12 month contract as lease is up in October.

Does anybody use any of the dongles and are they any good for the likes of youtube or streaming

• Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Apparently Supervalu is to close towards the end of January. That's not a good sign for the new restaurant and really has to be the death knell for the old shopping centre.

Yep; SV is gone on Friday the 22nd of January; huge blow; the place will be like Tumbleweed.

Whenever Penneys get around to temporarily relocating it'd be the right spot for them but either way unless a permanent anchor tenant comes in the likes of Peter Marks, Sam McAuleys, Dolmen Jewellers, Health Food Store & the Vaping Emporium (?) as well as Motor Factors (?) and the ISPCA Shop & Serena will be getting nervous.

Affordable Blinds & Curtains will be hit a bit too but at least Ronnie's in where Wigoders was as opposed to inside the S.C. itself if it closed down in the long term.

Would the sitting tenants (Daft have units for rent at €300 a week I think?) be entitled now to a write down, a rent reduction because presumably some signed on on basis that SV/SQ was there as Anchor Tenant?

Will it affect Omniplex?

As for Gourmet House, yes you'd definitely feel for them; if there hadn't been a ready made kitchen for them to go into I think Chartbusters might've been a good spot what with Omniplex reopening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,611 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The 3 lads that tried to rob Hosey's were caught and up in court today I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Turtyturd wrote:
    Apparently Supervalu is to close towards the end of January. That's not a good sign for the new restaurant and really has to be the death knell for the old shopping centre.

That's a shame but anytime I went in there lately the stock has been low. All the other shops in there will struggle big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Yep; SV is gone on Friday the 22nd of January; huge blow; the place will be like Tumbleweed.

Whenever Penneys get around to temporarily relocating it'd be the right spot for them but either way unless a permanent anchor tenant comes in the likes of Peter Marks, Sam McAuleys, Dolmen Jewellers, Health Food Store & the Vaping Emporium (?) as well as Motor Factors (?) and the ISPCA Shop & Serena will be getting nervous.

Affordable Blinds & Curtains will be hit a bit too but at least Ronnie's in where Wigoders was as opposed to inside the S.C. itself if it closed down in the long term.

Would the sitting tenants (Daft have units for rent at €300 a week I think?) be entitled now to a write down, a rent reduction because presumably some signed on on basis that SV/SQ was there as Anchor Tenant?

Will it affect Omniplex?

As for Gourmet House, yes you'd definitely feel for them; if there hadn't been a ready made kitchen for them to go into I think Chartbusters might've been a good spot what with Omniplex reopening.

NAMA make sh*tty landlords, so they didn't put anything into marketing the place. Terrible loss for the town!

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

I heard the courthouse hotel is going to be used to house refugees in the very near future

I heard the courthouse hotel is going to be used to house refugees in the very near future

Heard that also and the old hospital down the road too but would say it's all lies loads of towns hear the same thing. The people who bought it know what they are doing and hopefully will make it work.

• Advertisement

iano.p wrote:
    Heard that also and the old hospital down the road too but would say it's all lies loads of towns hear the same thing. The people who bought it know what they are doing and hopefully will make it work.

Person who bought the courthouse has two other premises housing refugees so I'd say he's bang sure of what he's doing

Positive news for the town if so; would be great to see it reopened & back in use.

If it's in use for refugees from different countries who happen to be Muslims then we're ahead of the curve regarding integration (incl. Carlow Integration Forum) as we've 2 Prayer Centres/Mosques in the town (that I know of, there may be more) and also a Takeaway that serves/sells products using Halal Meats.

Nokia6230i wrote:
    Positive news for the town if so; would be great to see it reopened & back in use.

Positive news from a social point of view depending on your opinion regarding refugees but from a commerce standpoint it's another nail in the coffin of Dublin street. I would much rather see it opened as a hotel which would bring in around 30 jobs to the local economy.

Can anybody recommend someone reasonably priced that does roller blinds ? I would like to hear from somebody who has used a local person preferably.

Can anybody recommend someone reasonably priced that does roller blinds ? I would like to hear from somebody who has used a local person preferably.

Ronnie in ABC (Affordable Blinds & Curtains) in Carlow S.C. where Wigoders used be.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

I used Acme a couple of years back and no problems with them

They make decent anvils and pianos too in fairness

I used ronnie in superquinn he was good fitted and all. He use to have 15%off in the Carlow people.

I know it's a "how long is a piece of string type of question" but any idea of a ball park figure for an average three bed house for just standard roller blinds ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Does anybody know if ray whelans do a pay per lift service. Cant see anything on the site?

• Advertisement

racso1975 wrote:
    Does anybody know if ray whelans do a pay per lift service. Cant see anything on the site?

They use to do bin tags cost 14.50 a lift. That was March this year so would say they are still doing them but the woman in the office wanted to sell us a yearly tag she always seemed put out on us buying the pay for lift

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

It looks like the Pennys re-development is back on the agenda, hearing rumours that a contractor has been appointed.

Yep, heard (from the main contractor) it's kicking off in March, with Pennys moving into the SV store during the build, who have been in SV a few times to measure up.

Great news if true

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yep, heard (from the main contractor) it's kicking off in March, with Pennys moving into the SV store during the build, who have been in SV a few times to measure up.

Great news if true

That's something at least...though it's only a temporary solution for the Shopping Centre. Sad to see SV go, hard to see a long term future for it. A shopping centre like that is nothing without grocery for footfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    The receivers did come in last Tuesday but be rest assured that it is business as usual and all of the family including Head Chef Alan Foley are very much still working away.

They are hoping to have all resolved by the end of this week.

The Bank Holiday has put a slight delay on things but if you were to walk in to the hotel right now/today, you would never know any different.

They had two weddings over the weekend with one being local and the couples involved and their guests were very happy as it was normal service with the usual staff.

Unconfirmed rumours that Alan Foley was made redundant today.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Unconfirmed rumours that Alan Foley was made redundant today.

Pretty sure the rumour was they were told to be out this week? But I see they have a fair on Feb 7th so could be a rumour

Kclr have it on there Facebook page he isn't the only one gone. He is a sound chap and a great chef

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

brianblaze wrote: »
    Pretty sure the rumour was they were told to be out this week? But I see they have a fair on Feb 7th so could be a rumour

'They' as in the whole place?
    Think it's going to go downhill fairly quick now that Alan is gone. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

alwaysadub wrote: »
    'They' as in the whole place?
    Think it's going to go downhill fairly quick now that Alan is gone. Pity.

Where is this you're talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Where is this you're talking about?

The Step House in Borris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I don't see how getting rid of a good head chef can help the bank get their money back.

Not very good publicity either.

Anybody reading this and considering the Step House as a wedding venue must surely be having second thoughts.

That said, I had my wedding booked in Mount Wolseley and it went into examinership in between me putting down a substantial deposit and having the wedding. I was worried for a while that I'd lose my deposit but my worries were unfounded. Wedding went ahead without a hitch.

Advertisement