Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

That would be great, brilliant to see the main street coming back to life hopefully these are the green shoots of recovery

It's a sideways move by Eurogiant (who're already on Tullow St. 2-3 Doors away down the street).

They're taking over the ground floor of Darrers (Houstons for the youngsters); would imagine it's same length as current premises but wider and will ultimately be similar size as their other unit in Fairgreen?

In other business news Carlow Chamber of Commerce Business Awards night in the Visual is sold out....time for plenty of a**e kissing, brown-nosing, hob-nobbing & back-slapping among the usual nominees/winners.

I nominated 3 Businesses for awards under various categories; not one made the shortlist in this weeks paper; probably because they're not members I guess?

From speaking to a previous award winner you don't buy a ticket to the event you won't be winning or possibly not even nominated.

Closed shop much?

The Food Hut on Barrack St. is re-opening under a new name which presently escapes me; currently recruiting for staff.

Chinese on Dublin St. opening where Italian used to be.

Douglas Jewellers/Jewelry Shop in Carlow S.C. being renovated to reopen in 1st Week of October as a fashion store......because Carlow's sorely lacking in the fashion retail department huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Nokia6230i wrote:
    It's a sideways move by Eurogiant (who're already on Tullow St. 2-3 Doors away down the street).

Thats unfortunate, I know they bring jobs but these pound shop type units are hideous looking and cheapen the look of what was once a very traditional looking retail Street. I really don't know the purpose of our chamber of commerce and would agree with you about it. Its who you know and not the quality of your business. The local council is worse, there used to be thousands of jobs on Tullow St and a combination of poor planning and exorbitant rates absolutely decimated them.

Is this Love Carlow er, "movement" basically a replacement for or an extension of the Carlow Town Team (which was only launched in 2014 if I recall?)?

The Carlow Chamber of Commerce seem to be behind which begs the question why the need? The desire to create yet another quango?

Anyone attend the "Jobs" Fair in Fairgreen today between 11am & 6pm? P**s poor effort. More Training Companies along with various Govt. quangos (in form of St. Catherines, CCDP, KCETB, Carlow Volunteer Centre, TÚS, Turas Nua etc.) than actual jobs.

It should've been titled the Free Training Courses, Recruitment Company and the Odd Job here & there Fair.

Top of my head I can only think of CE Schemes, Netwatch, Eddie Rockets (who were recruiting various grades for both Kilkenny & Carlow and offered the enticement of smarties), Bluebird, Home Instead, Comfort Keepers, Maven TM Ltd. (though they'd left the building by time I got there around lunchtime) and Translit (Translation, Word Perfect/Proof Reading etc. company).

IT Carlow, Engage Education there too; former just had their LLLC Prospectus.

Really poor show ultimately I thought; only benefit was coming out of it with a mouthful of aforementioned smarties before Eddie Rockets too focked off early & a few free pens.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Any idea when Food Hut opens back up? Been closed a while now. I had planned on getting a kebab from it for sitting down to watch the Euros final but it was closed even back then.

Is the old SuperValu (L and N, I think my OH calls it) opening back up as a centra? Was passing by earlier and the shutter was up and there were some centra signs around, dunno if they were just being stored there though. Cheap parking there will be a miss for commuters though :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,607 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There has been a lot of work going on in the L&N over the last few weeks haven't heard what if anything is going into it.

It's a great location and spacious building for someone like Currys/PC World to move into town with from out there on the Dublin Rd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Any idea when Food Hut opens back up? Been closed a while now. I had planned on getting a kebab from it for sitting down to watch the Euros final but it was closed even back then.

Is the old SuperValu (L and N, I think my OH calls it) opening back up as a centra? Was passing by earlier and the shutter was up and there were some centra signs around, dunno if they were just being stored there though. Cheap parking there will be a miss for commuters though :(.

It used to be a convenience store at one time so the signs could be old.

One of the guys working on tidying it up was saying that the cheap all day parking would be missed.

It's pretty big inside so plenty of potential. Now all we need is someone to finally do something with that bloody crottys site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Owryan wrote:
    It's pretty big inside so plenty of potential. Now all we need is someone to finally do something with that bloody crottys site.

The council are going to be doing up the front of the building

iano.p wrote: »
    The council are going to be doing up the front of the building

So basically lipstick being put on a pig.....again...then?

It's like the paint jobs done on the Barrack St. houses that they, the council now own.

Similar paint over the cracks gig done on the 2 Houses opp. Carlow College front lawn/s for Eigse/Carlow Arts Festival Big Weekender (it wouldn''t've been done otherwise).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Nokia6230i wrote:
    So basically lipstick being put on a pig.....again...then?

That's it they have to be seen spending the money from the rates business pay. There is some people trying really hard to bring life back into tullow street. But I feel the ship has set sail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

There has been a lot of work going on in the L&N over the last few weeks haven't heard what if anything is going into it.

It's a great location and spacious building for someone like Currys/PC World to move into town with from out there on the Dublin Rd.

Pennys is taking on the site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 LittleIrish_

"Kebabish" is the new name for the Take Away on Barrack Street

"Kebabish" is the new name for the Take Away on Barrack Street

Hmmmm.........firstly thought it was Chilli Hut or Chilli Pizza no?

If Kebabish is it anything to do with the ones in Graig or Enniscorthy?

tonyheaney wrote: »
    Pennys is taking on the site

Been hearing same since Centra in Penny Lane closed down & Penneys redevelopment was initially mooted (along with several other locations) so pardon ones cynicism but one isn't holding ones breath......

A sign went up on the L & N today for rent or lease so it looks like it was just being cleaned up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

A lot of work going on in the old Darrers today I passed it this afternoon and it looks close to opening stock being put into it.

What's going in there??

road_high wrote: »
    What's going in there??

Eurogiant is moving further down the street into it; they're "only" taking over the bottom/ground floor with the 1st Floor to remain empty.

Think their current unit is a long going back as Darrers is but would imagine square footage is far greater bearing in mind size/width of shop floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

Is there a place in town that is an apple device seller?
    I've got the USB symbol stuck on the Ipad, saying to connect to Itunes.

I've followed the instructions online to reset the tablet, but i don't have an apple laptop to connect it to (or know anyone that does).

I'm hoping i can just connect it in store and get them to reset it.

Any ideas?

try Sean Swans, I think they sell some Apple products

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

try Sean Swans, I think they sell some Apple products

I got sorted thanks. There's a place in Athy i dropped it into.
    €15 for the reboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

I got sorted thanks. There's a place in Athy i dropped it into.
    €15 for the reboot.

you didn't need to do that, I have a PC and it works fine with the iPad. can be done from there

tonyheaney wrote: »
    you didn't need to do that, I have a PC and it works fine with the iPad. can be done from there

I tried. I followed the tutorials, I installed the programs to fix it, I tried connecting to Itunes.

None of these worked, and it was stuck on the black screen with usb logo,so €15 wasn't much.

Glad that you're able to do it though.

• Advertisement

I see Mimosa are extending into the building beside it, and turning it into a deli in the day and a bar in the night.

I also see that Pompeii is reopening as a surf and turf place.

Reports that Pimento owner is opening a bar / restaurant in the old Deverauxs (Archies) site. BBQ and Burgers apparently.

Nice to see some positive news.

I see Mimosa are extending into the building beside it, and turning it into a deli in the day and a bar in the night.

I also see that Pompeii is reopening as a surf and turf place.

Reports that Pimento owner is opening a bar / restaurant in the old Deverauxs (Archies) site. BBQ and Burgers apparently.

Nice to see some positive news.

This bit. Deverauxs....beside Ray Whelans old office? Cos Archies means somewhere different to me.

I.e. Up by Saints & Sinners/the Temple Nightclub.....

As for Mimosa. Cat was let out of bag in SBP but these are only tentative plans; building that previously housed Kennys Solrs. & now has Ramsbottoms (Solicitors as opposed to actual Rams Bottoms!) in it would require change of use & I think structure is protected one also. Don't hold your breath that it's going to happen before A/W 2017/18.

As for Pompeii being a surf and turf, I'm listening but not understanding....can you elaborate please to educate me? Thanks.

This bit. Deverauxs....beside Ray Whelans old office? Cos Archies means somewhere different to me.I.e. Up by Saints & Sinners/the Temple Nightclub.....

Archibalds, beside the beehive.. Used to be the saints and sinners / Deverauxs.
    I'm assuming it'll be the smaller bar, as i think Harmony beauty is in the larger bar at the moment?

As for Mimosa. Cat was let out of bag in SBP but these are only tentative plans; building that previously housed Kennys Solrs. & now has Ramsbottoms (Solicitors as opposed to actual Rams Bottoms!) in it would require change of use & I think structure is protected one also. Don't hold your breath that it's going to happen before A/W 2017/18.

Mimosa have confirmed it on their facebook site. No date given

As for Pompeii being a surf and turf, I'm listening but not understanding....can you elaborate please to educate me? Thanks.

It's either
    A: It'll be a haberdashery where you can buy washing powder and fuel for the fire.
    B: Surf and turf is a term for a main dish which contains both fish and red meat (steak and prawns for eg.)

Smartspot has closed in The Fairgreen but is being replaced by CeX which is pretty much the same kind of shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Ihglcc

yeah i saw that last week, they need a mini burger king in there

There seems to be another fire a lot of heavy smoke anyway behind Woodies towards the IT fire engines head up towards it just now with Dympna’s going on fire last night I wonder is there a firebug in town again.

Wasn't it only a few years ago someone set fire to a number of building over the course of a day or two I remember the building on Shamrock square and the car show rooms by the court house going up on the same night and I'm sure there was one other place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

There seems to be another fire a lot of heavy smoke anyway behind Woodies towards the IT fire engines head up towards it just now with Dympna’s going on fire last night I wonder is there a firebug in town again.

Wasn't it only a few years ago someone set fire to a number of building over the course of a day or two I remember the building on Shamrock square and the car show rooms by the court house going up on the same night and I'm sure there was one other place.

The buildings at shamrock sq, "hynes shop" i think and dooley motors by the courthouse were set on fire on paddys day about 5 years ago. Another building was torched too but cant remember where

I didnt see anything in the news. where abouts?

About the fire @ Halloween @ St. Dympnas; Gardaí got someone for it within a few hours/later same day; unsure if he's appeared in court yet.

Be curious to know the reasoning behind it & was it a fire-cracker/sparkler yoke or a fire-work or accelerant used in what, assuming deliberate, was an arson attack.

What the alleged culprit failed to cop is the CCTV at the door; not just there for ornamental purposes; even if he did notice it & tried turning it away from him or damaging it, by then it's too late as it's recording images anyway & not the only camera on site or nearby that could've tracked his movements.

With Caredoc & the NAS also on same campus not sure how culprit thought wouldn't be noticed even if no CCTV at the main entrance.

• Advertisement

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    About the fire @ Halloween @ St. Dympnas; Gardaí got someone for it within a few hours/later same day; unsure if he's appeared in court yet.

Be curious to know the reasoning behind it & was it a fire-cracker/sparkler yoke or a fire-work or accelerant used in what, assuming deliberate, was an arson attack.

What the alleged culprit failed to cop is the CCTV at the door; not just there for ornamental purposes; even if he did notice it & tried turning it away from him or damaging it, by then it's too late as it's recording images anyway & not the only camera on site or nearby that could've tracked his movements.

With Caredoc & the NAS also on same campus not sure how culprit thought wouldn't be noticed even if no CCTV at the main entrance.

what is your source of information

Advertisement