Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

brianblaze wrote:
    I'd imagine it's a power play from Primark to get the council to contribute towards it. That was their original plan too in fairness so now they have a better location for feck all and can save a fortune on construction.

As far as i can remember the council are owed a few million for the sale of hanover park to the developer and never got a penny. So Primark wouldn't give a toss about a power play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Driving through the town and noticed at mcdonalds that a lot of the flags for the pan celtic festival are upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,607 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sha-Roe Bistro in Clonegall won best Restaurant in Leinster last night at Irish Restaurant Awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Sha-Roe Bistro in Clonegall won best Restaurant in Leinster last night at Irish Restaurant Awards.

Deservedly so. Great success story hidden away in Clonegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭EmoCourt

I see a new phase of Castle Oaks has been launched. 315k for a 4 bed detached.

What's the place like these days? Does anyone know how much they were selling for during the boom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

EmoCourt wrote: »
    I see a new phase of Castle Oaks has been launched. 315k for a 4 bed detached.

What's the place like these days? Does anyone know how much they were selling for during the boom? I see a figure of 565k here:
    http://ctsgroup.ie/projects/residential/castle-oaks

They were dreaming then they're dreaming now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Not sure if there was a thread on it but the demolition of Nr. 25 Dublin St. was (finally) back in court today & the owner has (had? We'll see in time if they come to fruition; I'll hold my fire on my opinion on same for now) plans for a hostel on the site.

Here's the skinny on how things went down in court today (no idea when judgment'll be passed, article doesn't say) >

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/demolition-on-one-of-carlow-s-oldest-streets-needed-permission-1.3084105

Demolition on one of Carlow's oldest streets 'needed permission'

Court told Dublin Street building knocked down last October as owners claimed it was unsafe

"The demolition of a building on one of the oldest streets in Carlow town over a bank holiday weekend required planning permission, the High Court has ruled.
    Number 25 Dublin Street was demolished over the October bank holiday weekend last year because its owners said it was in an unsafe condition after certain internal works led to the collapse of a rear wall.
    A neighbour brought legal proceedings claiming the demolition was unauthorised and seeking an order it be reinstated to its prior condition.
    The neighbour, Elaine Morgan, said the owner’s claims the building was unsafe were not credible and argued that material from the demolition, including rafters and brick, showed they were not in bad condition and were even in good condition.
    Ms Morgan and her two siblings own the adjoining number 26 which is a protected structure.
    Number 25 is not protected but is in an architectural conservation area and has been empty for a number of years.
    Ms Morgan says the demolition of number 25 by its owners Slaneygio Ltd and Joseph Germaine required permission from Carlow County Council, which supported her case.
    Exempted development
    Mr Jermaine, who indicated his intention to the council last June to demolish the premises and to seek permission to build a hostel there, claimed the demolition was exempted development.
    He said that, once the rear wall collapsed, the whole structure posed a hazard to adjoining properties and to the general public on the street.
    He also argued the legal proceedings were unnecessary and oppressive because he had stated his willingness to reinstate the building.
    In her decision, Ms Justice Marie Baker ruled demolition works were not exempt.
    The entire character of the building had been destroyed and, as a matter of law, and objectively speaking, it was not possible to argue the works carried out on it did not materially affect its external appearance so as to render it inconsistent with its previous structure or surrounding buildings, she said.
    The matter of motive – destruction for the purpose of putting in place a more structurally sound building – cannot render the demolition works exempt, she said. She said she would have to hear further evidence on whether she would exercise her discretion to order reinstatement in light of the defendants’ assertion the demolition occurred as a mistake or unintended consequence of the internal works."

Ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

Any word on the Pennys site? seems to have died a death again... noone saying anything...:rolleyes:

I see there is another rent a crowd protest outside the council offices.

There is also a one woman anti Garda corruption protest down there also.

Owryan wrote: »

Heard the one woman anti Garda corruption protest had enough of standing on the island & was sitting on a deckchair recently! :)

Thought she might've taken a break given the mob have taken over yesterday & today.

Dir. of Services/Housing was on the wireless tonight; he'd been detained in his car leaving the car-park by them d*******s.

As for the person involved? Neck like a.......

We're only getting one side; social media on both KCLR & CHN pages is seeing to that.

Co. Co. can't clarify in public; if they did they'd be breaching Data Protection Act & would be criticised by the mob for doing this too......can't win!

But Ms. Middleton & her mob are being quite liberal with the truth...

• Advertisement

What's the craic with that woman?

I saw her out sunning herself on her deck chair the other day. Exactly what aspect of corruption is she
    referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Must have been on her day off work? One wonders...

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Heard the one woman anti Garda corruption protest had enough of standing on the island & was sitting on a deckchair recently! :)

Thought she might've taken a break given the mob have taken over yesterday & today.

Dir. of Services/Housing was on the wireless tonight; he'd been detained in his car leaving the car-park by them d*******s.

As for the person involved? Neck like a.......

We're only getting one side; social media on both KCLR & CHN pages is seeing to that.

Co. Co. can't clarify in public; if they did they'd be breaching Data Protection Act & would be criticised by the mob for doing this too......can't win!

But Ms. Middleton & her mob are being quite liberal with the truth...

Don't be silly, can't be expecting a balanced story it doesn't fit the narrative. Anyone who even dares question her story gets shot down on Fb. The oft used allegation about the "Muslims" getting houses before the Irish is even being trotted out.

Don't be silly, can't be expecting a balanced story it doesn't fit the narrative. Anyone who even dares question her story gets shot down on Fb. The oft used allegation about the "Muslims" getting houses before the Irish is even being trotted out.

Saw the above alright; so predictable.

I note KCLR've removed their Status Update on the situation; think it had a bit of the interview from the second hour of the show this morning or else just the story.

Comments must've crossed a line regarding defamation against Dir. of Services/Housing perhaps......

Am on social housing list but so're 1900+ others; the sense of entitlement from those involved is sickening; plenty others as deserving if not more.

If I ever end up in her situation I'll get myself out of it; intimidating Gda., Co. Co. officials etc. is not doing her case any favours and I don't think she realises it.

She's being used to an extent by CHN & ACT & as for A Wallace? 3 Elections in 3 years; is she agitating for 2018......and another failure at the first fence?

These "peaceful protests" (with the usual chants of "Shame, Shame, Shame on you".....) are simply water meter protests by another name.

Nokia6230i wrote:
    Comments must've crossed a line regarding defamation against Dir. of Services/Housing perhaps......

See her sister was on Facebook saying a councillor manhandled her out of the tent and gave her to the guards ( which is all bollix I was on my way out when it happened). Her sister seems to be a right piece of work. I was in the council at meetings all day she was shouting at everyone walking into the office or in a suit.

iwillhtfu wrote:
    I saw her out sunning herself on her deck chair the other day. Exactly what aspect of corruption is she referring to?

Seen her eating her sambo and flask sitting in the chair . I wonder what she is on about.

Any chance this gang of mouth breathers could picket the Welfare office screaming for a job and a chance to give something back to society?

Their behaviour towards the Council official is shocking.

EmoCourt wrote:
    Their behaviour towards the Council official is shocking.

100% agree. They are bulling the staff in the offices. I don't understand why they think they will get what they want by the way they are acting.

I noted Supermacs were feeding 'em free of charge on Monday night; they ponied up the delivery car to drop off the scran.

Unsure if this has continued nightly.

Reinforcements in form of PBP TD Gino Kenny were on site today; Cllr. John Cassin also present during day.

I did see one CHN Video today in which a spokesperson (unsure I can name her as unlike aforementioned she's not a public rep....) stated the council have today come up with a suggestion for the lady in question and her son but because the place (long term, not or non emergency accommodation, a H.A.P. Property something which is notoriously difficult to obtain but which will supply stability for her son who has Autism...allegedly...) is in a different town to Carlow it's unsuitable to her needs!!!

Wherever the property is it would've taken serious back-flips to secure it but nope, it's not where she wants......

This then is the 3rd "Public" Property; she already has been in a RAS Property in both Carlow & subsequently Dublin......

The council did issue a statement (I'll put it in a separate post) but in addition to it they also stated (Dir. of Services/Housing on KCLR with Sue Nunn this evening or if not KCLR Live this morning) that the lady in question HAS relatives both direct & indirect with the required space to accommodate her in Carlow Town.

So the question has to be asked why isn't she going there or do they not want her & why?

The council in what they say publicly & know privately are severely constrained due to Data Protection unlike CHN who can scythe their way through lies, untruths, false facts etc.

I've said it before; I'm on social housing list but I'm f****d if I'd ever behave like this lady has; the bang of entitlement is shocking; water charges may be effectively a thing of past but the water charge "peaceful" protesters clearly aren't.............

Here's aforementioned Carlow County Council statement issued on Tuesday the 14th of June; it's quite nuanced & tactful but gets their point across without naming names! :)

" Carlow County Council
    Carlow County Council’s housing policy includes the provision of emergency accommodation. There are limited accommodation facilities available to the Council.

The Council also operates RAS/HAP/Rent Supplement for up to 2000 family units as well as 1500 rented social houses to both Irish and Immigrant family units.

In all cases the rent is paid to the landlord except for those who are on Rent Supplement from the Department of Social Protection who give the money directly to the tenant. In some cases landlords have not received the rent money paid out to the tenants by the Department of Social Protection. Direct knowledge of non-payment to landlords or damage to properties is not available to the Council and cannot be considered when assessing individuals for future social housing benefit.

Carlow County Council has identified about 100 family units who live at home with their families at great cost to their families who receive no rent support. The State should be indebted to the families who are supporting their own children and their grandchildren in these circumstances. Maybe, the State should financially help parents who are looking after their own children/grandchildren in this manner which would greatly reduce the bill for emergency accommodation and lessen the need for costly support from several State Agencies. Carlow County Council’s housing allocation process give a priority to those involuntarily sharing.

In the above context, respecting the status of all on the housing waiting list, we will continue to progress an appropriate solution to the current issue.

We thank the Garda? who have protected both our staff and public in recent days."

Statement Ends

• Advertisement

Jaysus they're now dressing a child up as a famine victim with a pot of spuds and a shawl !

RIP those one million people who died because the Council offered them HAP in the wrong area.

That's a strange statement from the council. Read it twice and it appears to hint at reasons why this woman is homeless.

That's a strange statement from the council. Read it twice and it appears to hint at reasons why this woman is homeless.

What're you drawing from it?

Inferrals alluded to in it perhaps but as I say unlike CHN they've to be balanced in what they publicly say or CHN will, despite wanting answers to camera publicly, land on them for breaching Data Protection.

What caught my eye was the bit about unpaid rent to landlords and not being directly aware of it. To me that suggests she wasn't meeting her part of the payment.

The bit about support for families who take in other family members. That also seemed strange

I be worked with the council before on housing issues or on behalf of people on the housing list. That's the first time I've seen a comment like that tbh.

The council do consider an individuals history with respect to paying rent in council/hap/ras houses when considering re housing.

Owryan wrote:
    The bit about support for families who take in other family members. That also seemed strange

Owryan wrote:
    That's the first time I've seen a comment like that tbh.

I take the same from this. She is making a show of herself now at this stage. Past history has to come i to it. I hope the council don't fall to her demands. If they do the "rent a crowd" will be back with someone new in a few weeks that's in a worse of situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

If you want to know about Karen Middleton & her family ask anyone from Bagenalstown, especially Cummins Park.
    The whole family never worked a day in their lives but just robbed & harassed their neighbours. They petrol bombed their house so the could be moved to a newer one. Karen had a house in Carlow but left that one to move to Dublin now shes back expecting to be housed straight away. Wherever she or her family get housed the new neighbours are in for a fright.

iano.p wrote: »
    100% agree. They are bulling the staff in the offices. I don't understand why they think they will get what they want by the way they are acting.

The family has a long history over generations of getting everything for free whenever they want without working & never contributing back into society

Help!!!! wrote: »
    If you want to know about Karen Middleton & her family ask anyone from Bagenalstown, especially Cummins Park.
    The whole family never worked a day in their lives but just robbed & harassed their neighbours. They petrol bombed their house so the could be moved to a newer one. Karen had a house in Carlow but left that one to move to Dublin now shes back expecting to be housed straight away. Wherever she or her family get housed the new neighbours are in for a fright.

Is she the one protesting outside the Garda station?

Hopefully she doesn't get housed if what you say is true she's a disgrace and ruins the system for those genuinely in need. The whole welfare system needs a complete over haul there are to many welfare career folk out there.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Is she the one protesting outside the Garda station?

Hopefully she doesn't get housed if what you say is true she's a disgrace and ruins the system for those genuinely in need. The whole welfare system needs a complete over haul there are to many welfare career folk out there.

Shes the one outside the council offices. How can anyone expect to move around the country via council accommodation, she will be housed, wont pay the rent, then turn up on another councils doorstep expecting to be housed
    I pity any future neighbours.:eek:

• Advertisement

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Shes the one outside the council offices. How can anyone expect to move around the country via council accommodation, she will be housed, wont pay the rent, then turn up on another councils doorstep expecting to be housed
    I pity any future neighbours.:eek:

But, but, but she's entitled!!!!!!!!!!!! Entitled I tells you!!!!!!!!!!
    The fact she has the lunatic from the hub helping her is enough to cast doubts on her tale of woe

Advertisement