Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Mercy Law Solrs.'re representing her; wonder is it on a pro-bono basis?

I.e. How do they get paid or are they doing it for free (in which case if CHN aren't footing the bill who is because this isn't a FLA case owing to it being a civil one)?

Really hope the County Council win this one; though would love it more if they could delay until the current legal term finishes up at the end of the month thus causing the dregs to stay on the path (in theory; reading elsewhere where tents've been empty @ weekends) for the month of August.

What we're not getting is WHY her parents/siblings won't take her & son in and if they've offered why she & son won't go?

As the council said in statement, there's 150 Families in Involuntary Sharing & those relatives that're taking them in aren't receiving a penny officially.

Yes there may be UTC Payments being made as I would make if I'd to move in with a relative but there's no legal compunction to do this, just a moral one.

If there was a stipend to be received legally, might this change the attitude of her & her family I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

If a 6 year old have been forced to stay there in a tent by his mother Tusla need to take that child into care.

Also if she is claiming Jobseekers I'd love to see someone from the department call over and ask her is she is activity looking for a job.

If she isn't strike her off the live register.

Tusla can only act of someone reports a concern re child welfare to them. And if they were to move to take the child into care that would actually strengthen her position with regard to housing needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Heard the Med Bar has closed up, haven't been in town to confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

votecounts wrote: »
    Heard the Med Bar has closed up, haven't been in town to confirm

Yup all the info on page before this one

Just spotted the owner (L.M.) loading up a blue van with the potted plants from the Med with a few other males.

That's the top hat & tails on it then........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Just spotted the owner (L.M.) loading up a blue van with the potted plants from the Med with a few other males.

That's the top hat & tails on it then........

It will be closed for now. But watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

That pub definitely won't be closed for long. Never been in the brasserie but it always seemed to be rammed at the weekend.

I see people were dismantling and cleaning up the protest site outside the council office earlier, they were putting the pallets, tent n signs in a van. Have they given up?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,607 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I pasted it heading to work over the last few weekends and they were never there I had to laugh she was only homeless during office hours Monday to Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭EmoCourt

They definitely seem to be gone anyway. Good riddance - now the Council can get on with their job of housing people who have waited patiently for assistance.

The behaviour of the 'activists' who staged this whole farce has been disgraceful throughout. Jobless goons egging on jobless goons.

http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/2017/06/23/protest-outside-carlow-county-council/

"Mr O’Connor, who has worked with the wider Middleton family over the years, said there were four family members with three-bedroom houses in social housing."

Says it all about that family, really.

• Advertisement

EmoCourt wrote: »
    They definitely seem to be gone anyway. Good riddance - now the Council can get on with their job of housing people who have waited patiently for assistance.

The behaviour of the 'activists' who staged this whole farce has been disgraceful throughout. Jobless goons egging on jobless goons.

http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/2017/06/23/protest-outside-carlow-county-council/

"Mr O’Connor, who has worked with the wider Middleton family over the years, said there were four family members with three-bedroom houses in social housing."

Says it all about that family, really.

The lead activist would also be involved with the "hub Ireland" group. They are less than reputable themselves and are little more than crooks.

Also interesting to note the clear divide emerging between those supporting her and those speaking out. Most of her support is coming from the "entitlements" brigade.

Owryan wrote: »
    The lead activist would also be involved with the "hub Ireland" group. They are less than reputable themselves and are little more than crooks.

There seems to be some link to them in this story, although they are not mentioned specifically by the Judge, but there are tidbits on Facebook which point to a link.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/bad-advice-from-unqualified-in-repossession-cases-very-costly-says-judge-35897490.html

A bunch of spiteful anarchists, useful idiots and crackpots who think they represent the working class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

"The Hub Ireland" and all of their ilk are offshoots of the whole "freeman of the land" nonsense that took off during the recession. There's a lengthy thread over on legal discussion about them. They're not too dissimilar to the land league who were involved in Gorse Hill though their popularity has declined massively due to their abject failure to deliver in court and Judges as above showing the idiocy of listening to their "advice". They always advocate representing yourself and inventing ridiculous nonsense that usually "proves" that the financial institution has no entitlement to the property because they misspelled a word once in a letter or something equally ridiculous. I used to find it all fascinating for a while at the stuff they came up with but when you see vulnerable people take their advice and lose their homes its just depressing.

Not surprised to see their involvement in this and the blocking and deleting of comments is class tactics from them though Carlow Housing Network seem to be much more aggressive with it. I see the womans sister and another supporter on Facebook who are doing neither Karen or themselves any favours with their comments and behaviour.

Saw a load of people sitting in deck chairs outside the doors of what was KCLR's office there across from the fountain I was wondering what they were protesting there.

Then watching the 9pm news I saw half the country is queuing up outside ticketmaster shops for Ed Sheeran tickets to go on sale tomorrow morning.

The Supervalu there is a ticketmaster agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Anyone know what pub in Dublin the Med owner took on? Someone mentioned it a few posts back, said it hadn't been doing the expected trade.

EmoCourt wrote: »
    There seems to be some link to them in this story, although they are not mentioned specifically by the Judge, but there are tidbits on Facebook which point to a link.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/bad-advice-from-unqualified-in-repossession-cases-very-costly-says-judge-35897490.html

A bunch of spiteful anarchists, useful idiots and crackpots who think they represent the working class.

The same woman is "in charge" of both the housing protesters and the local hub.

The same woman is "in charge" of both the housing protesters and the local hub.

The gentleman mentioned in the indo article who has had his house repossessed a few days ago seems to be the same bearded lad down at the protest, who is also part of this Hub group.

...and they talk about vested interests among Politicians :rolleyes:

It's a shame with all of their legal expertise they didn't realise that it was a bad idea to default on a mortgage after two years.

https://www.facebook.com/1524399237868236/videos/1665451723762986/

The High Court has said today the the building knocked down overnight a few months back on Dublin St will have to be rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

Anyone know what pub in Dublin the Med owner took on? Someone mentioned it a few posts back, said it hadn't been doing the expected trade.

It wasn't a recent thing. The same company ran Toast in Rathmines. That closed quite a while ago, but the debts appear to have dragged the Med down with it. For now, anyway.

I see people were dismantling and cleaning up the protest site outside the council office earlier, they were putting the pallets, tent n signs in a van. Have they given up?

Appears so.

They think it's all over; let's hope so!

The council've since put in five of the square plant pots that they dot around the town in their stead; looks a helluva lot better than what was there for the past three weeks.

Just wondering the why they've done it now though?

Do they realise the game is up? Because if so why're they taking a legal case against the council? The council're due up to have their say next Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Appears so.

They think it's all over; let's hope so!

The council've since put in five of the square plant pots that they dot around the town in their stead; looks a helluva lot better than what was there for the past three weeks.

Just wondering the why they've done it now though?

Do they realise the game is up? Because if so why're they taking a legal case against the council? The council're due up to have their say next Wednesday.

I wonder have they been advised to do so by their legal team? Will the councils response to her claims be reported on from court?

Was in that new place on Kennedy Ave. Cibo today (no idea how to pronounce it!).

Had a pizza slice, well, slab then. €3.50 plus a jar, yes a JAR of water.

Square plate (notions much lads?) for the slab, just a step up from a slate I guess?

No fork & knife either; plastic wouldn't've done at all at all; the utensils would've snapped in the dough.

Was happy enough with the quality mind.

Think there's a connection with Lilys Cake Boutique as I saw one of the guys from there behind counter Sunday; LCB had the unit in Fairgreen temporarily too & he, that guy was a regular behind there too.

Meanwhile opp. it. Four Seasons Restaurant has been renamed before it's even opened to Basil Asian Street Food.

Also Tiger on Tullow St.'s closing down this Friday; didn't last long; three quarters of a year maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

^^^^^^^
    There will be nothing left on Tullow Street shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Was in that new place on Kennedy Ave. Cibo today (no idea how to pronounce it!).

Had a pizza slice, well, slab then. €3.50 plus a jar, yes a JAR of water.

Square plate (notions much lads?) for the slab, just a step up from a slate I guess?

No fork & knife either; plastic wouldn't've done at all at all; the utensils would've snapped in the dough.

Was happy enough with the quality mind.

Think there's a connection with Lilys Cake Boutique as I saw one of the guys from there behind counter Sunday; LCB had the unit in Fairgreen temporarily too & he, that guy was a regular behind there too.

Meanwhile opp. it. Four Seasons Restaurant has been renamed before it's even opened to Basil Asian Street Food.

Also Tiger on Tullow St.'s closing down this Friday; didn't last long; three quarters of a year maybe.

Jesus, shocked about Tiger closing- they don't close down anywhere really! They'd do better in the Fairgreen, no one knew it was there I'd say.

Mirelle Interiors on Tullow st are also closing. So it's one step forward two steps back for Carlow town centre- I have no doubt in my mind it's unrealistic rents still killing things- retail has changed utterly, with the strong flight to online shopping and out of town shopping, rents are out of kilter with the new reality. Hence so many vacant retail units- this is a countrywide issue and hits Carlow particularly hard as there's virtually no tourist trade (like in Kilkenny) to fill the void with nail bars, ice cream places, coffee shops which is what's happening there.
    A large urban centre needs it's own Town Council and I really believe they should re-instated as that local representation has been utterly diluted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

So pleased for the Gates family and the tremendous support shown to them by the people of Carlow and others last night at the run/walk...must have been a couple of thousand there and a good few thousand raised towards Laura's long-term care!

Just hearing that a male was found dead on Barrow Track at around 9pm last night near Graiguecullen (so guessing Town Pk. side of boardwalk but could be heading for Websters Lock either).

PM due to ascertain cause of death; fact not much hype about it thus far indicative of them not suspecting foul play perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Nokia6230i wrote:
    Just hearing that a male was found dead on Barrow Track at around 9pm last night near Graiguecullen (so guessing Town Pk. side of boardwalk but could be heading for Websters Lock either).

It's on the town side of the river on the land along side the road. Poor fella was lucky to be found seen were the garda have sealed off.

I see there is a house on fire in St Marys park were all the scum hand around there around 11. There is a big problem around the town with abandoned house causing anti social behaviour

That's quiet shocking really they are one of the fastest growing shops in the Country.

I wonder having the huge Euro Giant shop beside them have an effect on them.

Carlow shopping centre or Fairgreen might have been a better pitch for them a lot more foot traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That's quiet shocking really they are one of the fastest growing shops in the Country.

I wonder having the huge Euro Giant shop beside them have an effect on them.

Carlow shopping centre or Fairgreen might have been a better pitch for them a lot more foot traffic.

The Carlow store is not even that big either...I'd say it's the same ole story- rents and rates out of kilter with the actual business revenues on the ground. Carlow is full of shops like Euro Giaant, Dealz, Mr. Price etc so it'd be a tough space for them being a bit more expensive than those.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    The Carlow store is not even that big either...I'd say it's the same ole story- rents and rates out of kilter with the actual business revenues on the ground. Carlow is full of shops like Euro Giaant, Dealz, Mr. Price etc so it'd be a tough space for them being a bit more expensive than those.

Pound Shops seem to make a killing in this town alright; Euro Giant has 2 Units (Tullow St. & Fairgreen), Dealz & Mr. Price're one & the same and sure now you've Centz on the Tullow Rd. and in Carlow S.C. too such is the footfall there.

We're some town for these shops and second hand + charity shops.

Pure tat in most of 'em but it's shifting sufficient units to cover their overheads.

Advertisement