Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Any sign of life with the med bar? Surely it will reopen this side of Christmas

I walk past it daily and nothing changed. Such a shame, it's the one bar/restaurant me and the missus frequented on the regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I walk past it daily and nothing changed. Such a shame, it's the one bar/restaurant me and the missus frequented on the regular.

Bizzare...I'd have thought that would be a gold mine, it's one of the places in Carlow.

road_high wrote: »
    Bizzare...I'd have thought that would be a gold mine, it's one of the places in Carlow.

Receivership.

Sadly no matter how well it may have been doing the man in charge must of not have been managing the finances well in the background, maybe financed to the hilt from property or whatever else. Some shock for the staff, I knew one of them to well from eating in there so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

From the beer thread, in relation to Wetherspoons

If I have it right, work on Camden St is going to start next, with full planning permission recently granted. Waterford and Carlow were granted planning permission quite a while ago (10 months and 2 years ago respectively), so if I was a betting man I'd say it doesn't look good for either of these locations.

Waterford and Carlow are not proceeding at present according to Tim Martin.
    (Wetherspoons founder).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104604858&postcount=2802

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

From the beer thread, in relation to Wetherspoons

If I have it right, work on Camden St is going to start next, with full planning permission recently granted. Waterford and Carlow were granted planning permission quite a while ago (10 months and 2 years ago respectively), so if I was a betting man I'd say it doesn't look good for either of these locations.

Waterford and Carlow are not proceeding at present according to Tim Martin.
    (Wetherspoons founder).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104604858&postcount=2802

No harm in that their pubs are utter ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Eyesore at Shamrock Sq. that borders Staplestown & Pollerton Roads (think was due to be a Primary Care Centre in 00s?) is up for auction at end of month.

AMV/Reserve Price of €350k > https://bidx1.com/auction/property/22195

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Eyesore at Shamrock Sq. that borders Staplestown & Pollerton Roads (think was due to be a Primary Care Centre in 00s?) is up for auction at end of month.

AMV/Reserve Price of €350k > https://bidx1.com/auction/property/22195

Its awful but who in their right mind would buy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Have to imagine parking would be an issue for any potential business too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,606 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Someone will buy it at that price and then leave it as it is a bit like Braun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Owryan wrote: »
    Have to imagine parking would be an issue for any potential business too.

I'd say it will be bought and developed pretty quickly.

There's no parking in O'Connell St. in Dublin yet plenty of businesses are able to operate there. Parking isn't essential for all businesses to be able to operate.

• Advertisement

Someone will buy it at that price and then leave it as it is a bit like Braun.

I doubt Braun is being left idle on purpose. I'd say if they could get anyone to go into it, they'd be happy with that.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'd say it will be bought and developed pretty quickly.

There's no parking in O'Connell St. in Dublin yet plenty of businesses are able to operate there. Parking isn't essential for all businesses to be able to operate.

Did you just compare the capital city with Carlow :confused:

That will be knocked with the intention to develop and it will get no further than a surface carpark and remain that way. Not that a car park was ever the initial intention. Cough ;)

Did you just compare the capital city with Carlow :confused:

I suppose I did. :o

But I'll stick to my guns. There are some businesses that would be able to operate on such a site without much parking outside on the street. The Fairgreen carpark is hardly a 2 minute walk away. Exit the carpark onto Barrack Street and you are almost at the site. The multi story carpark is about a 2 minute walk away also when you exit onto Tullow Street.

I suppose I did. :o

But I'll stick to my guns. There are some businesses that would be able to operate on such a site without much parking outside on the street. The Fairgreen carpark is hardly a 2 minute walk away. Exit the carpark onto Barrack Street and you are almost at the site. The multi story carpark is about a 2 minute walk away also when you exit onto Tullow Street.

Sorry but you’re behind the times. The high street is dead as we know it. If businesses are unable to stay afloat on Tullow St (where parking is not far away) then this site has not a hope. Fairgreen parking is more than 2 mins walk but that’s irrelevant, people are lazy now and they don’t want to walk especially as you can get very wet in a 2 minute period.

Covered shopping centres are what the masses want, and that wont be changing anytime soon. If money was no object then I think this site would make a nice spot for a small-medium sized hotel or mixed use offices but not retail.

Sorry but you’re behind the times. The high street is dead as we know it. If businesses are unable to stay afloat on Tullow St (where parking is not far away) then this site has not a hope. Fairgreen parking is more than 2 mins walk but that’s irrelevant, people are lazy now and they don’t want to walk especially as you can get very wet in a 2 minute period.

Covered shopping centres are what the masses want, and that wont be changing anytime soon. If money was no object then I think this site would make a nice spot for a small-medium sized hotel or mixed use offices but not retail.

I pretty much agree with what you said. To be honest, I wasn't really thinking of retail on that site. I was more thinking along the lines of offices/doctors/dentists etc. How is Eddie Rockets doing straight across the road? That has the same parking conditions as the new site would have.

And just to argue slightly, if you walk out of the Fairgreen SC onto Barrack Street (where Carpenters is), then you are hardly a minute away from that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

And just to argue slightly, if you walk out of the Fairgreen SC onto Barrack Street (where Carpenters is), then you are hardly a minute away from that site.

It would take you 5 mins to walk from Tesco to that exit and another 5 to the site in question depending on lights, and as already pointed out that's far too long for today's consumers.

In any event there is plenty of parking right across the road (Dublin road)

Had a look at the site today as I passed hadn't really taken much notice of it over the years if I'm being honest.

I could see someone building a lot of apartments and over a few shops on the site.

Year & 8 and a bit months ago (3rd week in February 2016) or so the NDLS moved from Frazers Garage (I think....) to Graigue S.C. where it is now.

There were issues with accessibility as it was up a stairs and, if you were mobility impaired/horizontally challenged etc. there was no lift.

Unsure of a TL exactly but on John St. currently the NDLS has set up new offices; they're being refurb'ed over the Summer; chairs (and a wheelchair lift!) installed and cubicles for PCs etc. on site too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

What's with all the gardai and checkpoints around the town this morning?

• Advertisement

Big round up going on the vans are picking up loads this morning and bringing them to court.

All will be back out this afternoon no doubt.

Op. Storm; was on the wireless this morning; they rounded up a few wanted on warrant prior to it going public.

They've a public information stand in the Fairgreen & they're out in the IT also.

So I guess somebody sees some sort of potential in it, sold for €372,000.

https://bidx1.com/auction/property/22195

You would put a fair amount of 1 bed flats in that space to rent out or sell going up 3 or 4 stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

So I guess somebody sees some sort of potential in it, sold for €372,000.

https://bidx1.com/auction/property/22195

Another Car Park perhaps?:confused:

Another Car Park perhaps?:confused:

I doubt it will become a car park. But even if it did, it would be better than the eyesore that is there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Can any of you guys recommend me a cheap all day car park for a weekday that's near the centre (fairgreen, barrack st. etc.)?

Something that I can park in from like 9am to 9pm or so. Thanks!

ECookie13 wrote: »
    Can any of you guys recommend me a cheap all day car park for a weekday that's near the centre (fairgreen, barrack st. etc.)?

Something that I can park in from like 9am to 9pm or so. Thanks!

Seems cheap to me and right in the middle of town.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.836095,-6.9260912,3a,75y,350.34h,87.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9DjU9ws5pc1DvpHNqZl10A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ECookie13

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Seems cheap to me and right in the middle of town.

Cool thanks, €10 isn't bad, but that's €10 for 7 days, so surely something cheaper around the town if anyone knows. Ill keep that in mind anyway.

• Advertisement

Well over 20 people queuing up for the opening of The Range this morning already at 8:30, absolutely FANTASTIC to see it. That retail park was a desolate place since Homebase left.

Now, there is a huge anchor tenant that should really help find tenants for the few remaining empty units.

Fair play to Currys, Army Surplus and the Pet store for sticking it out by themselves, there is no doubt that the new store will have a huge knock on effect to the foot traffic of the other stores (for the better of course).

Advertisement