Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

patrickc wrote:
    it's similar to what was at the site at the lidl road roundabout for the last few years, now there's an enormous house being built there.

Part of the same family I belive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Court reports in this weeks paper indicate the guy sitting at Dealz is a convicted armed robber & burglar.

Be the lort!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Court reports in this weeks paper indicate the guy sitting at Dealz is a convicted armed robber & burglar.

Be the lort!
    yet the guy makes more money begging and being on the dole than most do working. Crazy Country

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

votecounts wrote: »
    yet the guy makes more money begging and being on the dole than most do working. Crazy Country

And lauded as some kind of hero. Whereas anyone working or trying to better themselves are knocked and penalized.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I see building works or at least clearing taking place at the abandoned commercial building just at the end of the boardwalk. Any ideas on plans? I saw a housing developer van in there last week. They're hardly building houses so close to the river ��

Also the field alongside the boardwalk for sale. If any developer plans on putting up apartments I'll be the first to voice my opposition. It's a disgrace what has been allowed to be built alongside the river and around the castle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The old Celtic Linen site?

I think they may have just been boarding it up for the winter to stop anti social behaviour going on inside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭DancingHomer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

votecounts wrote: »

The same guy acts as if butter wouldn't melt in his mouth

In relation to the attack (Gda. described it as a "serious incident" on Wednesday morning; they gave no details at all), it's since come out that it was an assault.

How the information is being put out reminds me of the lady who was found in the funeral home on Pollerton Rd.

Gda. handled that one brilliantly; they didn't let on there was a rape involved out of deference to the family but also in interests of catching the suspect.

Just wondering are we looking at a similar scenario here?

The same guy acts as if butter wouldn't melt in his mouth

Bizarrely within a few days of his court case (which would've been last Wednesday) he was back in his usual spot; that said there were foot patrols on Monday and Tuesday who moved him on.

I don't get though why only four dates used; he's there seven days a week like and at it since 2015 or 2016.

Am currently trying to find out the details of his convictions, esp. the ones mentioned in the paper.

But f**k me begging in Carlow must be lucrative; him with his 150 & there's 8-10 others at it outside Centra, in Dinn Ri car park, at ALDI, in Hanover Retail Pk. and that's before you've quite a number who come up to you on Tullow St., College St., Barrack St.; in some cases M & F couples, others on their own etc.

There's not one of 'em homeless either and, I stand to be corrected on this, but I don't think any of them're staying in SVDP Mens Hostel either.

Still "Where's Wally?", well he's not hanging round outside of Dealz and if he wants to stay out of prison he'll have to suck it up until January the 2nd or 3rd.

• Advertisement

The old Celtic Linen site?

I think they may have just been boarding it up for the winter to stop anti social behaviour going on inside it.

Yeah, they've done a right job on it; not so sure I'd be kipping in it or using it as a shooting gallery though.

So many times I've seen rats & cats there because people're feeding the wild cats and with it being so close to the river you've got the rodents too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Carlow is really becoming rougher every day coupled with the similar attack a few months ago. Bring bank the death penalty for the attacker. I hope and pray the victim recovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Cava seems to be back open in the evenings, just the bar as far as I can see.

Saw that; better to be trading as a going concern than do what's happened to the Med & remain closed and lose any regular clientele you've built up.

Still, if it's just a pub and no food then where's its niche coming from now?

Thought it strange it reopened after being closed 2-3, maybe 4 weeks but it does make business sense.

It's on market for €320k; Auction on Dec. 12th I think.

In other news Umbertos is getting a refit; not sure if they've a new name for it or when it's going to reopen.

Pizza Napoli, the new name for Cafe Roma on Tullow St. is being tiled currently; would expect it open by Christmas time at latest; they're currently hiring staff.

Looking like Mimosas will be opening "soon"; outside's had a paint job and whenever shutters're open it seems to be fitted out with chandeliers hanging and the place lighting inside.

St. Brigids Nursing Home on Dublin St./at Court Pl. has sold.

€1.3 Million & incl. the property fronting onto Barrow track which is separated from Celtic Linen by the Andy Murphy Rd.

Will be interesting to see if it's developed in next few years or just left sit there to rot some more and sold on when local land prices increase > https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/carlow-town-site-on-river-barrow-sells-for-1-3m-1.3298509

As an aside has the field there ever been searched for stolen property/drugs etc.? Excellent hiding place like.

St. Brigids Nursing Home on Dublin St./at Court Pl. has sold.

€1.3 Million & incl. the property fronting onto Barrow track which is separated from Celtic Linen by the Andy Murphy Rd.

Will be interesting to see if it's developed in next few years or just left sit there to rot some more and sold on when local land prices increase > https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/carlow-town-site-on-river-barrow-sells-for-1-3m-1.3298509

As an aside has the field there ever been searched for stolen property/drugs etc.? Excellent hiding place like.

I'd say it was searched when the dead body was found there a few months back but I wouldn't think it is regularly searched.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

If that site is developed properly has potential to breath new life into that part of town- personally I think it would have been great if some part of the IT campus went in there but I think its the perfect location for a 4 star hotel looking out on the river as part of a mixed use high desnity scheme- I also think if the existing road was set back from the riverfront would create a proper boardwalk feel - this is the attractive part of town that development should be focused on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If that site is developed properly has potential to breath new life into that part of town- personally I think it would have been great if some part of the IT campus went in there but I think its the perfect location for a 4 star hotel looking out on the river as part of a mixed use high desnity scheme- I also think if the existing road was set back from the riverfront would create a proper boardwalk feel - this is the attractive part of town that development should be focused on.

This is the attractive part of the town that as been ruined by high density accommodation. I would agree there could be potential in a hotel but if anything this area needs it is space it has been subject to ridiculous planning decisions for long enough now.

An attractive low rise open plan development would be far nicer with something of a main square and coffee shops etc would bring this area to life. as with most things though a developer will want his return and on a compact site he will no doubt be looking at high rise development while I will be the first to lodge my opposition.

Why aren't Carlow's Councilers & TD knocking on Apple's front door saying look if Galway don't want your data centre we have an equivalent site size (Bruan) for you to use.

Forget the pro's and con's of having it at least it for now it would be good to see the Council being proactive in trying to do something for the town.

Why aren't Carlow's Councilers & TD knocking on Apple's front door saying look if Galway don't want your data centre we have an equivalent site size (Bruan) for you to use.

Forget the pro's and con's of having it at least it for now it would be good to see the Council being proactive in trying to do something for the town.

Braun site definitely not suitable. I understand these things need to be located in a cool area like the middle of a forest.
    Would much prefer that site put to better uses than that.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    Braun site definitely not suitable. I understand these things need to be located in a cool area like the middle of a forest.
    Would much prefer that site put to better uses than that.

We have the Sugar Factory site then.

At the moment and for the last decade both sites are no use so what better use will there be if no one tries to find a use for them.

There are plenty of data centers in Dublin nowhere near the middle of forests.

The point is it seems Carlow like many towns are waiting for companies to come to them instead of being proactive and going knocking on the doors.

We have the Sugar Factory site then.

At the moment and for the last decade both sites are no use so what better use will there be if no one tries to find a use for them.

There are plenty of data centers in Dublin nowhere near the middle of forests.

The point is it seems Carlow like many towns are waiting for companies to come to them instead of being proactive and going knocking on the doors.

Sugar factory mightn't be a bad be but I really do remember reading there was very specific technical reasons why the Athenry site was chosen- it was a lot to do with the cool, wet climate of the west and even micro climate of the site surrounded by forestry. I have no idea about ones in Dublin but that is why they were looking at Athenry.
    Carlow would be much drier and warmer than the site in Galway.
    Also, infrastructure like strong electricity supply was another.

I agree re the Local Authorities though...I know every thing is compared to Kilkenny but they are very pro active in encouraging new investment of all kinds. Look at https://www.investkilkenny.ie/ and they appear to be doing lots as regarding promotion and working with companies and state bodies. Carlow sorely needs a similar focal point. Carlow co council are certainly not going to do it successfully.
    You need an umbrella brand to go out and promote rather than waiting around. I'm not aware of similar in Carlow

Well there's some amount of quangos in Carlow & I can't but think they're either getting in each others way or are duplicating roles and duties.

Thinking of Carlow PPN (Public Participation Network), LEO Carlow, Carlow Chamber of Commerce (to win an award from them being a member helps as does being nom'd & second'd by a member.....) CCDP (Dev. Partnership) and then there was the short-lived Carlow Town Team (a talking shop who promised great things at launch in Town Hall in 2012 or 2013 but failed to deliver) who seem to've morphed into Love Carlow with much the same outcome. And sure then there's Carlow Tourism with its Barrow Blueway drive which has many of aforementioned bodies as members either individually or collectively..........

In theory all working with each other; in reality each trying to out do each other to justify their existence as bodies not to mention individual roles and employment.

Meanwhile the benefits to non members of these groups, to the town and county in general and its development are minute.

The Sugar factory site has been empty for 5 years now after it took about 5 years to fully demolish.

The Braun site was sold over a year ago and will probably sit empty for another 5 years.

The site by the Barrow had set empty for close to 10 years and was sold this week and will probably lay empty for years to come.

I would take an Apple, Google, Amazon data center on any of those site as at least the something is happening in the town and it is showing progress and growth.

Well there's some amount of quangos in Carlow & I can't but think they're either getting in each others way or are duplicating roles and duties.

Thinking of Carlow PPN (Public Participation Network), LEO Carlow, Carlow Chamber of Commerce (to win an award from them being a member helps as does being nom'd & second'd by a member.....) CCDP (Dev. Partnership) and then there was the short-lived Carlow Town Team (a talking shop who promised great things at launch in Town Hall in 2012 or 2013 but failed to deliver) who seem to've morphed into Love Carlow with much the same outcome. And sure then there's Carlow Tourism with its Barrow Blueway drive which has many of aforementioned bodies as members either individually or collectively..........

In theory all working with each other; in reality each trying to out do each other to justify their existence as bodies not to mention individual roles and employment.

Meanwhile the benefits to non members of these groups, to the town and county in general and its development are minute.

Probably a very valid point re all the quangos trying to justify their existence while achieving very little..which comes back to my idea of a focused, centralised body to promote and win invest in the town and county.

All the rest appear to be tinkering around the edges but achieving very few big wins. Jesus, even the proposed new sugar factory is proposed to be (albeit right on the border) in co Kildare. Which is nuts given the vast IDA investments there and multiples more jobs than Co. Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Would a huge data centre make much difference economically to Carlow?

I know there's a fair bit of employment when the centres are being built, but they don't require many people once they are up and running.

I'm not knocking the idea, I'm just asking the question.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Would a huge data centre make much difference economically to Carlow?

I know there's a fair bit of employment when the centres are being built, but they don't require many people once they are up and running.

I'm not knocking the idea, I'm just asking the question.

Most people (bar the usual anything everything loons) up in Athenry seem to be pro building it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Easy know the silly season has started, trying to get parking at the fairgreen is mad.

Owryan wrote: »
    Easy know the silly season has started, trying to get parking at the fairgrounds is mad.

Did anyone every think that is the most ridiculous car park design? One main entry point and is continuously clogged by people trying to get as close as possible to Tesco and stopping there. Then you go over near the Bridge st and there's usually dozens of free spaces. They could have put another entry point over at the roundabout there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Owryan wrote: »
    Easy know the silly season has started, trying to get parking at the fairgrounds is mad.

Silly question. Where is the fairgrounds?

Advertisement