Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

I am going to start to do a couch to 5k for the New Year and was thinking of using the track at Askea I want to do it on my own no boot camps.

A couple of questions if anyone could answer them that would be great.

Is the track open to the public or do you need to be a member of the club?

If you need to be a member does anyone know who or where I should contact?

So Paulies Boot Camp's not for you then?

Having watched various videos of workouts up in Carlow Town Hurling Club & much and all as I **need** to lose weight (roll on April/Easter when the IT Gym opens up its doors to the public) I just couldn't be putting up with his er, "enthusiasm".....

BOOM indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Fit4life at SLOTS is 3€ per person for the week or €5 per week for family. They usually run the fit4life 2 nights a week Tuesdays & Thursdays I think, details will be on their Facebook page. They also do a s&c class after one of the runs. Great value for money, great encouragement & support. Numerous 5k apps on line too which are great & easy to follow. Best of luck with, you will not regret your decision, it’s 1 of the best things I ever took up!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

My problem with groups is I work nights so my time for running is usually morning or afternoons that's why I was looking at doing it my myself as the majority of all these boot camps are the evening times when I'm at work.

I'll find their Facebook page and email them to see what the story is to just use the track.

Thanks everyone.

My problem with groups is I work nights so my time for running is usually morning or afternoons that's why I was looking at doing it my myself as the majority of all these boot camps are the evening times when I'm at work.

I'll find their Facebook page and email them to see what the story is to just use the track.

Thanks everyone.

You could use the outside pitch at Eire og or pal, both are suitable for running on. When I started I used oak park, started on the small walk/circle & upped it from there. Track around the pitch in st pats college too which is tarmaced & nice to run on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

denis160 wrote: »
    You could use the outside pitch at Eire og or pal, both are suitable for running on. When I started I used oak park, started on the small walk/circle & upped it from there. Track around the pitch in st pats college too which is tarmaced & nice to run on.

Actually St Pat's is a great idea thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭DancingHomer

I thought i'd get away with it today. I'd walk into Carlow town and do some shopping without some emaciated, tracksuit-clad, learning disabled, waste of sperm crossing the street to ask me for money for a Sandwich.

Maybe next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,603 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Town seemed very quiet earlier considering it’s Christmas.

The barracks had about 5 people in it.

Dinn Ri was no busier than a usual Saturday evening. Maybe things will liven up later on.

I'd ask who only it could be any one of 8-10 or 12 I can think of sadly.

They're getting every benefit going yet still persist on topping up their income and add sob stories.

Still baffled yer man at Dealz continues there; guarantee he's not telling those hoodwinked into giving him money what he's done.

He got a new jacket recently too I see; would put my house on it that wasn't bought from his winnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,603 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    I'd ask who only it could be any one of 8-10 or 12 I can think of sadly.

They're getting every benefit going yet still persist on topping up their income and add sob stories.

Still baffled yer man at Dealz continues there; guarantee he's not telling those hoodwinked into giving him money what he's done.

He got a new jacket recently too I see; would put my house on it that wasn't bought from his winnings.

Curious. What has the dealz guy done?

• Advertisement

In the paper a few weeks ago (Tuesday the 21st of November so from previous weeks District Court sitting) for being a convicted armed robber & burglar too.

Also that he'd been found on one occasion with €150 (but, to balance that out only had a tener on him on another occasion; my guess is the former was at the end of his working day, the other when he was only starting out? Either that or he'd already hived off that days takings because, from observation I don't see him working alone).

Garda involved charged him with "harassing, intimidating or obstructing a person while begging without a permit (didn't know you could get a permit to beg......!) on Tullow St. & Potato Mkt. Carlow on several occasions".

Four separate occasions in 2016 were quoted (10th & 21st of June, 3rd of July & 28th of August).

Each time he was asked to leave he did so but returned shortly afterwards to resume his begging.

Gda. said when he first arrested him he found 150 on him while on another occasion (21st of June) he had €10 in coins.

His Solr. argued that Mr. X hadn't truly obstructed pedestrians on those occasions and therefore his client wasn't guilty as charged.

However the judge said that he couldn't accept a "partial obstruction" as grounds for dismissal and that Mr. X had indeed impeded the passageway on each occasion.

Gda. Insp. then told the court that Mr. X had THIRTEEN previous incl. a SENTENCE FOR ARMED ROBBERY and another for BURGLARY.

JD then adjourned the case until Wednesday the 3rd of January next for the preparation of a probation report. However he warned that if Mr. X was to avoid a custodial **he would have to cease begging** and cooperate fully with the probation services.

(Note; I'm not sure what the rules are on naming individuals mentioned in the paper incl. the defendant, Gardai (pl.) involved etc. or the defendants address but PM me if names're reqd. please. Similarly the defendants address is also published and again I'm omitting it here as unsure of protocol)

He was for what it's worth convicted of begging.

He has resumed his activities in light of his conviction with seemingly no concerns as to the courts instructions.

I've Googled his name with and without his address but I can find nothing relating to the armed robbery & burglary.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/agency-rides-to-rescue-of-barrow-track-qgfcptnmh

Agency rides to rescue of Barrow track

Waterways Ireland has defended its plans for a 115km shared walking and cycling track along the length of the Barrow towpath, a scenic riverbank walk crossing Carlow, Kildare and Laois.

In response to “significant concerns” raised by planners in the three counties, the agency has submitted further information about the project.

In March three councils asked Waterways Ireland to justify using an “unbound” hard-surface cycle lane along part of the 115km route and to explain the impact on riverbank ecology.

Last week the agency said the “compacted stone and dust unbound path” that runs along 97.9km of the route adheres to “well established, recognised standards” for similar “slow tourism” projects around the world. It had considered using a grass surface, reinforced using a plastic grid, but grass would become “unsightly” and “patchy”, leading to an uneven surface for walkers and cyclists.

Waterways Ireland says the chosen route largely follows the existing marked way “so as to minimise both environmental and economic impacts”. The choice of road surface “will provide access for a wider range of users, along all sections of the trail, providing enhanced safety and accessibility in all weather conditions”.

The agency said the 2.5m width of the path was chosen to “minimise the environmental impacts and negate disproportional construction costs for the proposal”. It said the width of the proposed path was like other trails along the north Shannon, the Shannon-Erne canal and the Royal Canal. It argues 2.5m is the preferred width for “low volume” usage, noting it expects fewer than 1,500 users a day at any point on the trail.

The project’s impact on wildlife and water quality is said to be minimal, while flooding will be no worse than usual.

Opponents of the plans, including broadcaster Olivia O’Leary, claim a track from Lowtown in Co Kildare to St Mullins in Co Carlow will destroy the unspoilt beauty of the riverbank for walkers.

Save the Barrow Line, set up last year to oppose the project, argues the route should be marketed as an Irish version of the Camino de Santiago, the popular pilgrimage trail in northwestern Spain, instead of a cycling track. O’Leary has said Waterways Ireland’s plans will turn a leafy riverbank into “the grey of suburbia, of a parking lot”.

“We are all in favour of more walkers and canoeists and cyclists and anglers,” O’Leary has said. “But the grassy towpath is the green frame for the river. Why destroy the very beauty we want visitors to see?”

The three councils are due to make their decisions on the project by the end of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

i know the next sale is tomorrow as well as river island, anyone know is there any other sales on tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

votecounts wrote: »
    i know the next sale is tomorrow as well as river island, anyone know is there any other sales on tomorrow.

Don't know about carlow but I'd you venture to kk these are open and there's a next too
    https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/26055652_1554684414579320_6215381361526472131_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=2a9e74e775e097fad04c4d16b035f02e&oe=5ACF1EA3

How about that, bad parking in carlow.....never 😂😂
    Which estate is that? Up on the athy road?

denis160 wrote: »
    How about that, bad parking in carlow.....never ����
    Which estate is that? Up on the athy road?

I've no idea. Doesn't ring a bell.

The convicted armed robber & burglar who sits outside Dealz making his fortune?

Was up in court Wednesday; previously warned to desist as one condition to avoid jail.

Judge clearly easily fooled as he's back out since (indeed back in position same day!) and tapping away.

Crime definitely pays be it €10 or €150 in his case............

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭griffin100

I thought i'd get away with it today. I'd walk into Carlow town and do some shopping without some emaciated, tracksuit-clad, learning disabled, waste of sperm crossing the street to ask me for money for a Sandwich.

Maybe next time.

I had it in Haddens car park this afternoon. Him and her scumbags in matching track suits looking for a 'favour' of free money. Not as bad as watching their tribal colleagues fighting outside of Dealz on Christmas Eve. I'm starting to keep my kids away from the Tullow street area, what with the dog sh1t and junkies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

Yes since the methadone clinic went into Dympna's 6/7 years the town has turned into a walking dead zombie town.
    So many zombies walking around the town asking to borrow a euro like they would ever give it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yes since the methadone clinic went into Dympna's 6/7 years the town has turned into a walking dead zombie town.
    So many zombies walking around the town asking to borrow a euro like they would ever give it back.

Am I right in saying a lot of the south east come to Carlow for this? I know Kilkenny doesn't have a Meth clinic, not sure about Waterford or wexford.
    I'd imagine they are avoiding having one at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

road_high wrote: »
    Am I right in saying a lot of the south east come to Carlow for this? I know Kilkenny doesn't have a Meth clinic, not sure about Waterford or wexford.
    I'd imagine they are avoiding having one at all costs.

there's a methadone clinic in every south east county, Kk included

some have as many as 5 clinics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

patrickc wrote: »

Is there not one up at the clinic near St Marys Cathedral.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

patrickc wrote: »

I thought I remember reading that there wasnt one in Kilkenny, the junkies had to go to Carlow. Could be one now, that’s a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

What the clinics bring is addicts and addicts bring is dealers.
    So what both of them bring is a lot more drugs into the town.
    The drugs bring more zombies its a drug money circle.
    We very rarely go into the town centre now because of the constant harassment from the zombies.

PeterCasey wrote: »
    Is there not one up at the clinic near St Marys Cathedral.

it's at the back of the good shepherd

road_high wrote: »
    I thought I remember reading that there wasnt one in Kilkenny, the junkies had to go to Carlow. Could be one now, that’s a few years ago.

the clinic in KK is I think 7 years open

the clinic in Carlow is the second longest open in the country outside Dublin, think it's 13/14 years open now

What the clinics bring is addicts and addicts bring is dealers.
    So what both of them bring is a lot more drugs into the town.
    The drugs bring more zombies its a drug money circle.
    We very rarely go into the town centre now because of the constant harassment from the zombies.

I won't be giving up on the town centre because of them - it'll just result in more boarded up shops and a self-fulfilling cycle. Businesses making a go of things in the town deserve support. Nice places like Cafe 500. I'll just get good at telling the zombies to **** off in language they can understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I won't be giving up on the town centre because of them - it'll just result in more boarded up shops and a self-fulfilling cycle. Businesses making a go of things in the town deserve support. Nice places like Cafe 500. I'll just get good at telling the zombies to **** off in language they can understand.

I've never had an issue with junkies in Carlow. I'm from a bigger town mind so would probably be more used to seeing these skeletons rolling around. I wouldn't have thought there's an issue with them though.

Is that cafe 500 any good? I meant to call in when it was Harmons pub and it closed before I got the chance which was a shame as it looked like a nice spot.

Advertisement