Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Where is cafe 500?

As for the "zombies" a male/female duo asked me for a euro for tea in Tesco carpark. They were going around knocking on car windows. A young wan was looking for bus money in Aldi at the bus park.

Normally i would just tell them to go away but it's starting to get annoying now, they are becoming ever present.

The chap from the top of the town who normally haunts Aldi, i haven't seen him around recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭DancingHomer

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I've never had an issue with junkies in Carlow. I'm from a bigger town mind so would probably be more used to seeing these skeletons rolling around. I wouldn't have thought there's an issue with them though.

Is that cafe 500 any good? I meant to call in when it was Harmons pub and it closed before I got the chance which was a shame as it looked like a nice spot.

Cafe 500 is really nice, there's a busy atmosphere about the place on a weekend night, and the food is great. Proper Italian Pizzas...you won't find pineapple or chicken on them. The Green Barn in Athy is a nice treat too.

As for the begging, i don't know if they're actually heroin addicts. I've never seen the types you'd see in Dublin, six stone and roaring at each other on Abbey Street, but i've also had beggars in Dublin who look respectable too.
    My own experience in Carlow has been lads crossing the street three times in as many months, to ask me for money. Once on the Athy road, once on Kennedy Avenue and once on Tullow Street. I've no idea what's going on with the number of native beggars, but it doesn't seem to fit with the fact that Carlow is a pretty quiet town in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I find the Garda presence really lacking on the ground in the town centre. I never see them on the beat, ever. You see the odd car but that's it.
    Again compared to Kilkenny (which is a lot less rough and anti social) I regularly see them in pairs on the beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Cafe 500 is really nice, there's a busy atmosphere about the place on a weekend night, and the food is great. Proper Italian Pizzas...you won't find pineapple or chicken on them. The Green Barn in Athy is a nice treat too.

Caf00 is delicious, if a bit small and cold (they leave the door open).
    The carbonarra is worth having.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Owryan wrote: »
    Where is cafe 500?

As for the "zombies" a male/female duo asked me for a euro for tea in Tesco carpark. They were going around knocking on car windows. A young wan was looking for bus money in Aldi at the bus park.

Normally i would just tell them to go away but it's starting to get annoying now, they are becoming ever present.

The chap from the top of the town who normally haunts Aldi, i haven't seen him around recently.

Guy from ALDI? If his initials are SD & he's a tall but scrawny f****r his hangouts're sometimes outside of entrance to Dinn Ri on Tullow St. (apart from sitting down in front of the trolleys @ ALDI) but also, and I observed it today, he takes up position in Hanover Retail Pk.; sometimes up towards Homestore where he'll sit down at the edging between car park & shop which is what he was also doing today at Woodies.

• Advertisement

A few weeks ago I saw a beggar sitting right at the door to the Petrol Garage at Highfield, beside O'Hanrahans. Some lad with a Beard sitting there on a Saturday morning with a paper cup in his hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Where is cafe 500?

its in where deanos used to be? besides the old ray whelan office

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭BabyWillis

votecounts wrote: »
    Where is cafe 500?

its in where deanos used to be? besides the old ray whelan office

That’s the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

Where is cafe 500?

As for the "zombies" a male/female duo asked me for a euro for tea in Tesco carpark. They were going around knocking on car windows.

If she is the blonde one just be careful she has stabbed two people the boyfriend who is with her is dangerous as well.
    She also has a brother who demands a euro off people in town to get a bus to Dublin is unstable himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Ok, I'm in Carlow most weekends during the day, and at night maybe 1 in 3.
    But I gotta say I never seen anything like a lot of the problems that you guys are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Ok, I'm in Carlow most weekends during the day, and at night maybe 1 in 3.
    But I gotta say I never seen anything like a lot of the problems that you guys are talking about.

+ 1 on that, I see the guy outside Dealz sitting quietly and there is a junkie I see up around Raths from time to time but that's it. I used to see him and his girlfriend in Tullow Street in the past but not seen her for ages

+ 1 on that, I see the guy outside Dealz sitting quietly and there is a junkie I see up around Raths from time to time but that's it. I used to see him and his girlfriend in Tullow Street in the past but not seen her for ages

Yeah, just a friendly, gentle reminder that that guy sitting quietly outside of Dealz isn't so friendly.

It's all an act lad; he's a convicted armed robber + burglar, was told to desist from begging as a condition of avoiding jail.

Was up again last Wednesday and must've complied (or not been detected/caught despite having been there daily since last court appearance) as he's been back every day since too....

Am convinced they're all in cahoots with each other, all Irish and all in a gang on this begging lark.

Depending on if there are in prison or not there has been about 10 junkie beggars all over Carlow town.
    From those who sit at shops to those who walk all over town demanding a euro.
    They all have different styles of doing it.
    There are 3 women and about 7 men doing it.
    Then you have the old lad on Tullow street who begs for money to gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,603 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Saw a new low yesterday evening around 5pm in fairgreen car park. Young lads around 16/17 years old wearing tracksuits- socks tucked into the bottoms-going around knocking aggressively on car windows and shouting demands for a euro or two euro. Seemed to pick on women more so than men. Sadly a few seemed to give them change-this will only encourage them.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

You never ever see any Garda presence in the town. It does not take much for this behaviour if unchecked to go beyond the point of it becoming widespread and difficult to come back from.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Yeah, just a friendly, gentle reminder that that guy sitting quietly outside of Dealz isn't so friendly.

It's all an act lad; he's a convicted armed robber + burglar, was told to desist from begging as a condition of avoiding jail.

Was up again last Wednesday and must've complied (or not been detected/caught despite having been there daily since last court appearance) as he's been back every day since too....

Am convinced they're all in cahoots with each other, all Irish and all in a gang on this begging lark.

Saw that in the Nationalist but having lived in East London, Essex, Philadelphia and Limerick in the past, trust me when I say Carlow does not have a big issue with this.

Having said that, it has got more noticable. There was a guy shouting and roaring outside the cathedral one Sunday morning last year and another girl actually was going around inside asking people at mass for money,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I see there are some works going on at the Braun factory. Just on the roundabout looked to be opening up an entrance or something.

Saw that in the Nationalist but having lived in East London, Essex, Philadelphia and Limerick in the past, trust me when I say Carlow does not have a big issue with this.

Having said that, it has got more noticable. There was a guy shouting and roaring outside the cathedral one Sunday morning last year and another girl actually was going around inside asking people at mass for money,

Not sure of who the guy is (could be same lad as at Dealz before he begins his shift there maybe? He does hit up the Cathedral after Dealz closes at 6pm ahead of 6:15pm Mass) but I ****do**** know who the female is and she's a regular at it.

She goes in and taps inside and outside; from Bestfield and is also regularly at her Centra pitch on Potato Market.

Got a Euro.

Do you have change for a fifty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I see there are some works going on at the Braun factory. Just on the roundabout looked to be opening up an entrance or something.

I was passing earlier and wasn't paying much attention but I think that they are just repairing the sinage there inside the fence. It had fallen down / become damaged in some of the previous storms/high winds. The machinery is for digging in the posts etc.

Couple things.

Clúid're building social housing beside town park; don't know who got the gig contractor wise but the site's being cleared currently.

Anyone with a link to PP etc.?

Also, todays Nationalist indicates a local Cllr. (un-named; I know who it is mind) gave a, and I quote ""glowing" character reference" for a soldier who assaulted two men in the Foundry.

Thought that'd gone the way of putting down the PP or Principal of your Primary, National or Secondary School as a referee on your CV......

The Councillor should be named and shamed if they are using the title of Councillor while giving a reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

The Councillor should be named and shamed if they are using the title of Councillor while giving a reference.

Why? Leaving the allegation aside, is a councillor not an elected position That represents the people?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Councillor is a representative of the people giving a reference for an accused in a public court of law using the title of Councillor yet his/her name is being withheld while the accused and victims are named.

I think myself it is a very valid question to ask why the Councillors name is being withheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Moved to Carlow 6 months ago, so far so good but one thing I have found is the abundance of dog poo on paths & walkways.
    I walk my son to school & have to dodge piles everyday, my neighbour has dog poo outside their front door as it opens out to a public path. I reserved my car in Aldi car park last week but the had to move as I couldn't get to the booth of the car to get my shopping bags out as there was poo on the path I'd reversed up to.
    This is just a few examples, do others find this a problem or have I just been unfortunate?

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Moved to Carlow 6 months ago, so far so good but one thing I have found is the abundance of dog poo on paths & walkways.
    I walk my son to school & have to dodge piles everyday, my neighbour has dog poo outside their front door as it opens out to a public path. I reserved my car in Aldi car park last week but the had to move as I couldn't get to the booth of the car to get my shopping bags out as there was poo on the path I'd reversed up to.
    This is just a few examples, do others find this a problem or have I just been unfortunate?

Yes it is an absolute pest in Carlow and I've yet to see one bin allocated for dog poo bags. You can thank our ethnic minority for this :rolleyes:

I'd say if you requested the stats on fines handed out it would be 0% or very close to it.

I see what looks like either a gym or a gym equipment sales place going in over where Hughie Doyle furniture used to be. Looks like decent equipment going in so can't be sure which it is.

Hardly Ben Dunne sneaking in quietly??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I see what looks like either a gym or a gym equipment sales place going in over where Hughie Doyle furniture used to be. Looks like decent equipment going in so can't be sure which it is.

Hardly Ben Dunne sneaking in quietly??

Nah it's vitality fitness moving in there from current location over the lotus Chinese..
    They've moved most the old stuff from town out am hoping they get some newer stuff also..

• Advertisement

tommycahir wrote: »
    Nah it's vitality fitness moving in there from current location over the lotus Chinese..
    They've moved most the old stuff from town out am hoping they get some newer stuff also..

Ah right that's more a lifting tin type of place than a gym. The equipment I saw looked new although I only drove passed.

Advertisement