Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Fella preaching Islam at the taxi rank this afternoon. A few local “characters” debating away with him. Does anyone know how long this has been going on?

Was he doing any harm? There were bible bashers outside Bethany House spreading their beliefs yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,601 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Owryan wrote: »
    Was he doing any harm? There were bible bashers outside Bethany House spreading their beliefs yesterday.

No not doing any harm I was just wondering has it become a regular thing. I never noticed it in Carlow before tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

The man @ the rank may've been from one of the 2 Mosques parallel to it.

Like the Jehovahs Witnesses on Barrack St. I've seen Bible Bashers (2) outside of Carlow Shopping Centre trying to convert people with a 15 minutes soapbox.

They're based out of the Victory Church in Delta Centre/Strawhall.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,601 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    The man @ the rank may've been from one of the 2 Mosques parallel to it.

Like the Jehovahs Witnesses on Barrack St. I've seen Bible Bashers (2) outside of Carlow Shopping Centre trying to convert people with a 15 minutes soapbox.

They're based out of the Victory Church in Delta Centre/Strawhall.

“Bible bashers” bit disrespectful. Wouldn’t dream of calling yer man today a “Koran basher”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

With opening up of The Range I wonder what the future holds for Carlow town centre. Not that The Range opening is necessarily a bad thing but it does point to out of town being where the prevailing wind is blowing. Tullow St is devastated. Not much retail on Dublin St. Mish mash on Castle St. The old shopping centre got an unexpected lift with Penneys going in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

holyhead wrote: »
    With opening up of The Range I wonder what the future holds for Carlow town centre. Not that The Range opening is necessarily a bad thing but it does point to out of town being where the prevailing wind is blowing. Tullow St is devastated. Not much retail on Dublin St. Mish mash on Castle St. The old shopping centre got an unexpected lift with Penneys going in.

It's the same with most towns country wide. Villages retain their epicentre but as villages become towns and large towns the business tends to move to the peripheries. It's nothing unusual and business tends to change in the town centres from shops to pubs and eateries as can be seen in Carlow also. The run down shops will no doubt be a result of excessive commercial rates and the council trying to cash in.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭BabyWillis

Why are people obsessed with Tullow street and Dublin street? Things move on and most of the premises on these streets are no longer suitable for the needs of current retailers but a lot of people on here seem think money should just be pumped into these premises in the hope of bringing back the good old days of 20 years ago.
    The reality is that the fairgreen is now the town centre.

Few years ago (2014 I think) there was a Carlow Town Team launch in Town Hall; all the usual big wigs/hangers on from the council and the various quangos were present along with ITC SU and the IT itself were represented.

Talk of ITC SU having a hub in the town; never happened and I couldn't see a reason for one then or now (Tullys doesn't count!).

Carlow College itself did open a hub on Tullow St. but it only lasted a year, maybe two.

Mention was made of living over the shops; ostensibly a good plan yes and the amount of space over various units on Tullow and Dublin St. is unreal.

However this would require not just local planning but also national co-operation and thus the idea has rested.

Carlow Town Team has now been subsumed into Love Carlow, an initiative/another name for Carlow Chamber of Commerce.

When crotty's old building is lying vacant for so long you have to ask is there any serious desire to redevelop Tullow st. Likewise, when you look at all the empty buildings around town like the old l&n or the eircom building it really does give the town a depressing feel.

You just have to look at the road surface, it's been re-dug and patched up so many times it's a joke.

Whatever happened to the plan to put a cover Tullow St?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

First the plan for the Barrow Track was refused, now the Borris viaduct has been closed to sightseers. Does Carlow have a self destruct button?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

madmaggie wrote: »
    First the plan for the Barrow Track was refused, now the Borris viaduct has been closed to sightseers. Does Carlow have a self destruct button?

Isn't the viaduct closure a health and safety issue? If someone had a accident there it could cost the council alot.

Carlow hit the self destruct button a long time ago to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

From what I read on The Nationalist, the council had big plans for the viaduct. Surely they would have checked out any potential safety problems before making decisions on the future of the structure. I wish for once there was a good news story for the town or county, it all seems so negative. I agree, the closure of the viaduct may well have been done to prevent compensation claims. People in Borris put in a lot of work into clearing the area, and providing a park, it's depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Is there a Renenue office in Carlow??

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Is there a Renenue office in Carlow??

Green shopfront on R.H.S. on Staplestown Rd. beside Fast Eddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Green shopfront on R.H.S. on Staplestown Rd. beside Fast Eddies.

Brilliant, thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Anyone know what time the St. Patricks day parade usually starts in Carlow?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

votecounts wrote: »
    Anyone know what time the St. Patricks day parade usually starts in Carlow?
    Thanks

Carlow Parade starts at 3.30pm this year from Perry's Car park. Reviewing stand is at Haddens Car Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

I see the same 30/40 were arrested again yesterday in Operation Thor.
    They are no doubt back out today and will be picked up again in 6/8 weeks for the same thing.
    What a waste of Gardai time if the courts won't actually punish these people for there crimes.
    It must be heartbreaking the Gardai to put so much time into gathering all the evidence only for Judges not following through because of sob stories.

Headed up town for the parade. Thought there was a good buzz about the town and having the big screen and entertainment for the kids was a nice touch.

Pity about the cold and the usual shaving foam messers.

Headed up town for the parade. Thought there was a good buzz about the town and having the big screen and entertainment for the kids was a nice touch.

Yeah there was a good atmosphere and the screen for the match was good craic.

As with every other year though it hits a time I refer to as pikey hour and it's time to get out of dodge. I wouldn't fancy being involved in security today.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Yeah there was a good atmosphere and the screen for the match was good craic.

As with every other year though it hits a time I refer to as pikey hour and it's time to get out of dodge. I wouldn't fancy being involved in security today.

There were a good few from an element of society around alright. Given their dress code they must've been freezing.

The Big Screen was an unreal addition this year; you could see it from the stage/viewing stand (though not much else was; I pity those judging the floats & walking groups!) and it was fairly visible from most areas around that side of car park and there was a fair crowd in attendance.

Pity the musician/s up on the stage afterwards who kicked into gear almost as soon as the game ended; I think people would've stuck round for the post mortem on TV3 given the success but the sound was changed over immediately.

Unsure if many stayed in the end due to the cold and sporadic flakes of snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭DancingHomer

I see there's now a Caravan parked up on waste ground, along the Barrow Walk, at the corner of Montgomery Street.

Great to see the Council protecting the 'wildlife' along the Barrow Track from any nasty Blueway tourism and potential improvement.

I see there's now a Caravan parked up on waste ground, along the Barrow Walk, at the corner of Montgomery Street.

Great to see the Council protecting the 'wildlife' along the Barrow Track from any nasty Blueway tourism and potential improvement.

That's in there now a fortnight; I noticed it during the er, "big snow".

That site is private property; it used be a piggery & Dept. of Ag. owned it; Thomas M. Byrnes Auctioneers sold it late 2017.

I'm presuming they burst open the first set of gates on R.H.S. as you come down Montgomery St. though last few days I've seen the pedestrian gate within it which the M & F Couple living there were using for access has been chained & padlocked.

I did speak to them on the day of Storm Emma as they'd a horse outside with no blanket or shelter, no fodder, nuts or even water and grass was hard got but they did resolve this subsequently in fairness to them; indeed the man of the house so to speak was waiting for a relation, the owner of the horse according to him, to come down with a blanket and nuts etc.

Not sure what the county council can do in such a scenario; they're doing no harm to nobody in fairness to them; the site's effectively derelict/abandoned and like I said, it's in private hands now.

Not sure what the county council can do in such a scenario; they're doing no harm to nobody in fairness to them; the site's effectively derelict/abandoned and like I said, it's in private hands now.

These lads seldom travel alone. If nothing is done it won't be long till the entire troupe follow suit. I'm still amazed they haven't set up shop on the new road out by FruitHill Manor. Perhaps the lack of amenities and services put them off :D

Last Summer there was an assault which left a woman unconscious on the grounds of Healys Funeral Home on Pollerton Rd.; turns out the perpetrator of this had also committed a sexual assault/rape upon her too.

He's pleaded guilty and expressed remorse but the content of the Independent report alone are horrific.

He'll get the 12.5 years minimum hopefully (life sentences for rape're unusual and the most recent one was, I think appealed on grounds of severity) but because of above a portion will be suspended no doubt.......plus he'll get the standard, automatically granted remission.

Link > https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-who-raped-and-seriously-assaulted-woman-left-her-with-lifechanging-injuries-court-hears-36738252.html

Last Summer there was an assault which left a woman unconscious on the grounds of Healys Funeral Home on Pollerton Rd.; turns out the perpetrator of this had also committed a sexual assault/rape upon her too.

He's pleaded guilty and expressed remorse but the content of the Independent report alone are horrific.

He'll get the 12.5 years minimum hopefully (life sentences for rape're unusual and the most recent one was, I think appealed on grounds of severity) but because of above a portion will be suspended no doubt.......plus he'll get the standard, automatically granted remission.

Link > https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-who-raped-and-seriously-assaulted-woman-left-her-with-lifechanging-injuries-court-hears-36738252.html

Filthy bastard a shotgun to the back of the head would be to good for that monster.

Remorse my bollox he has over 30 previous convictions for assault.

I'd love to get 5 mins alone with a hammer and that ****er he'd be sorry then alright pure filth. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Nokia6230i wrote:

I would love if he served even half that. That poor lady will never fully recover and that dirt bag will be back on the streets after a handful of years.

• Advertisement

iano.p wrote: »
    I would love if he served even half that. That poor lady will never fully recover and that dirt bag will be back on the streets after a handful of years.

The problem with sentencing is this.

He's pleaded guilty, has expressed remorse and wrote a letter of apology; they're all mitigating factors.

So whatever he gets there's going to be a suspended portion of sentence built in.

PLUS he'll automatically qualify remission which is, I think one third.

It's like a Brucies Bonus; I mean whatever about merits (light at end of tunnel, give person a goal to work to, lessen chance of POs getting attacked, encourage rehabilitation/reduce recidivism etc.) of this it's a joke that you can get both a suspended portion of sentence AND remission.

Remission is automatically qualified for too; you don't have to gain or earn it by being co-operative in prison, engaging in education, counselling etc.

Will be interesting to see do KCLR cover this (they rarely do crimes for some reason) or is his face on front page of Nationalist next Tuesday.

Having been involved in a Circuit Ct. case in Carlow recently the Nationalist'd no presence at all; they're a joke when it comes to reporting at times.

Advertisement