Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

So s**t suddenly got real today; 4 premises were raided in an investigation into prostitution.

Also across the constituency nail bars, restaurants & takeaways were raided in an investigation into human trafficking.

One lady was arrested and she appeared in the District Court this afternoon; no idea of a name or in which premises she was picked up; it's an immigration issue relating to an expired visa afaik.

Anyone anything else to add?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I was reading Europol and Interpol were involved with this as well they were also involved with the big drugs find and raid 6/7 weeks ago on the Tullow rd.

Bit of an odd one but anyone know where one might borrow or get the loan of a staple gun?

Would only need it for a short period to fix some posters that keep getting ripped down; they're laminated A4 ones.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Bit of an odd one but anyone know where one might borrow or get the loan of a staple gun?

Would only need it for a short period to fix some posters that keep getting ripped down; they're laminated A4 ones.

Thanks.

You can buy one in the range for about €10.

Putinbot wrote: »
    You can buy one in the range for about €10.

Thanks; didn't think they'd be that cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

Anyone know which would be the best pub in the town to watch the champions league final tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Anyone know which would be the best pub in the town to watch the champions league final tomorrow night?

Depends what sort of vibe your after? Tully’s will be packed I’d say so get there early if you want a seat. Barracks or Dinn Ri are massive so you should get a seat handy enough and plenty of screens. Not sure what scraggs would be like, haven’t been in ages. For craft beer Tully’s would be my choice but it’d probably be a bit too packed for me tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

There will be a decent crowd in Teach with plenty of banter so I'd go there..

Three Miraculous Medals found at the count centre today (in a Tinryland box).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Three Miraculous Medals found at the count centre today (in a Tinryland box).

In a similar vein, the woman at the voting station commented to me that it was nice I had brought my kids with me, in fact a lot of people had done so she said.

Might have something to do with the fact that the schools were closed so they could be used as polling stations.

• Advertisement

It may have done. Don't know if Askea GNS or BNS were open (you'd feel short-changed if you were a pupil or staff member there) but I vote/d in St. Josephs and St. Laurence O'Tooles has been the polling station for the other part of the town for a few referendums now.

Think Green Rd. N.S. is another one.

With SLOT being used and the Town Hall being available and other suitable venues in the town the days of using Primary or National Schools (Secondary Schools don't seem to be used locally; nor are either Third Level College which are both lying idle currently; the Barrow Centre would be an ideal polling station; Cobden or Dining Hall in Carlow College too perhaps or any other of the bigger lecture halls in there too) must surely come to an end.

I know in Borris for example, the National School hall is used yet the Town Hall lies unused.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well done to the Carlow footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Well done to the Carlow footballers.

Fantastic match, great win & well deserved, well done lads!

Eigse's on (well, near over now) this weekend; kicked off Friday evening/night @ 6pm.

Opinions on it?

Is it dying on its?

Festival of Writing and Ideas on in Borris House & the Stephouse Hotel also overlapped; into its 7th year.

Is our county too small to hold 2 Festivals on the one weekend or do neither clash in terms of clientele?

For me Festival of W&A had the bigger pull in terms of line up.

As an aside, the open air cinema on Friday night; people were paying into see the Goonies, something like €6 or €12 yet so many others were watching it for free as the gate out into Penny Lane was wide open and the front lawns beside the Cathedral offered a decent enough vantage point given size of screen.

I'd be looking for a refund on the night if I'd paid; nobody should bother theirs paying next year; organise sponsorship for the screen; St. Patricks Day Parade'd a big screen and didn't charge anyone yet Eigse do?

Lastly Eigse've a f/t office and I'd guess a staff of 8-10 f-t & p/t staff and all we get is a once a year 2.5-3 day festival.........?

Also to note Eigse're a CHARITY.....I saw volunteers (without whom it wouldn't go ahead) out shaking buckets; I don't think I'd be minded to make a donation for something that probably doesn't represent value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Eigse's on (well, near over now) this weekend; kicked off Friday evening/night @ 6pm.

Opinions on it?

Is it dying on its?

Festival of Writing and Ideas on in Borris House & the Stephouse Hotel also overlapped; into its 7th year.

Is our county too small to hold 2 Festivals on the one weekend or do neither clash in terms of clientele?

For me Festival of W&A had the bigger pull in terms of line up.

As an aside, the open air cinema on Friday night; people were paying into see the Goonies, something like €6 or €12 yet so many others were watching it for free as the gate out into Penny Lane was wide open and the front lawns beside the Cathedral offered a decent enough vantage point given size of screen.

I'd be looking for a refund on the night if I'd paid; nobody should bother theirs paying next year; organise sponsorship for the screen; St. Patricks Day Parade'd a big screen and didn't charge anyone yet Eigse do?

Lastly Eigse've a f/t office and I'd guess a staff of 8-10 f-t & p/t staff and all we get is a once a year 2.5-3 day festival.........?

Also to note Eigse're a CHARITY.....I saw volunteers (without whom it wouldn't go ahead) out shaking buckets; I don't think I'd be minded to make a donation for something that probably doesn't represent value for money.

I’m done here waiting on a friend as we speak. Was down earlier as well, much quieter now but still decent buzz around. Having said that it’s such a poorly run event. Like you say about the cinema but as well I ordered two tickets for tonight’s gig but in the email it looks like only one. On the email it says email the box office for assistance. So I did and quite unbelievably I got an out of office reply. Not that I had mailed too late but that the person who runs that email is out of office until September. I actually genuinely thought I’d mailed the wrong place by mistake but no. So you have the box office email out of office while the event is on. That is about as ridiculous as it gets. The out of office gave anotheir email to contact which I did to which I got no reply.

It’s become far too artsy in recent years and they don’t seem to want to get decent Irish bands anymore, they also have almost no local involvement in the festival in terms of artists or musicians.

In spite of that on a summers day like today the grounds of the college are a nice way to spend an afternoon.

The festival seems to be getting shorter every year.

Same issues last year with the outdoor screening. Place is too open to charge for something like that, they would be better off leaving out buckets for donations.

A friend was at one of the gigs and was pissed off that she paid for tickets yet others just strolled in or sat outside and listened for free.

Would anyone know where I could get a push bike serviced get brakes & gears checked, mud guards and lights put on the bike as well things like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Would anyone know where I could get a push bike serviced get brakes & gears checked, mud guards and lights put on the bike as well things like that?

Cannot recommend Gary in Pedalhounds https://www.facebook.com/pedalhoundsbikeshop/ high enough, very genuine guy with a genuine interest in bikes.

Could try Coleman's on college st. He's been around for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

DrZeuss wrote: »
    Cannot recommend Gary in Pedalhounds https://www.facebook.com/pedalhoundsbikeshop/ high enough, very genuine guy with a genuine interest in bikes.

I'd second Gary in pedal hounds he's a gentleman and very reasonable prices aswell. Plenty of nice shiny bikes to tempt you also. :D

https://www.goldenpages.ie/pedalhounds-bike-shop-carlow-R93/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Rat Scabies (ex of punk band The Damned, drummer with Sid Vicious etc) was down in O'Loughlin's on Monday night. Meant to be part of the festival but was a day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

Owryan wrote: »
    The festival seems to be getting shorter every year.

Same issues last year with the outdoor screening. Place is too open to charge for something like that, they would be better off leaving out buckets for donations.

A friend was at one of the gigs and was pissed off that she paid for tickets yet others just strolled in or sat outside and listened for free.

Wasn't at the movies but overall it seemed ok, certainly not as far up it's own backside as the Kilkenny Arts Festival. A bit more low-brow

Having said that I would have liked to have seen more local acts and performers. Plenty of groups like Aspiro or Music Gen or local art exhibitions could have been involved but weren't

Big crowd down around the Cathedral and St Pats again this weekend for the diocesan family fun day. Those grounds are a great resource that are under used.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Big crowd down around the Cathedral and St Pats again this weekend for the diocesan family fun day. Those grounds are a great resource that are under used.

Definitely agree with this I wasn't even aware of the grounds behind. They could easily host more summer type festivals in there. Taste of Carlow or similar the whole place has a very laid back feel to it and could easily hold events to attract visitors.

DrZeuss wrote: »
    Owryan wrote: »
    Could try Coleman's on college st. He's been around for years.
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'd second Gary in pedal hounds he's a gentleman and very reasonable prices aswell. Plenty of nice shiny bikes to tempt you also. :D

https://www.goldenpages.ie/pedalhounds-bike-shop-carlow-R93/

Thank you I will check those out.

Does anywhere in Co. Carlow do parking for an RV?

Spotted one parked up in bus park in Carlow town this evening and was flummoxed when it came to suggesting an alternative location.

Rancho Reillys came to mind but possibly a bit awkward to get to.

Oak Pk. private car park perhaps? It's secure anyway.

Oak Pk. public's inaccessible @ night; gates're locked so whatever about getting in there's no getting out.

They do plan on going to St. Mullins which might cater for their vehicle; also Clashganny which could be a bit hairy if they meet an oncoming vehicle.

Hope they're safe in the bus park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

A couple of campers park across from the garda station most weekends. They never seem to have a problem there

Talking of RV's anyone else notice the Breaking Bad one that's been around the town for a few months now parking in different estates nearly every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Talking of RV's anyone else notice the Breaking Bad one that's been around the town for a few months now parking in different estates nearly every night.

Not sure if it's the same one but the lad that parks up outside svp in his camper van is making a fortune selling "things" out if the back each day. Most get the goods of him and go into the delict house just up from it.

Anyone go/ing to Bare in the Woods this weekend?

Unsure how much weekend tickets were but Saturday is 50 and to camp overnight's 60.

There's shuttle buses but I don't know if they're included in price; they'd want to be I guess?

O'Haras've the Beer Tent; presume like Eigse pints're 5 Euro.

The Bare in the Woods FB Page doesn't have a review section......make of that what you will but I would've thought there was one before....

Eigse also don't have a review section but here's the rub on that; there was a 1 Star Review left by someone who'd had to pay in to watch the Open Air Cinema (an absolute cod of a thing to be doing) yet she witnessed hundreds round her watching for free.

They removed the review section subsequently..........

• Advertisement

Eigse & Kathleen Funchions offices on Dublin St.'re both closed.

Signs're on it (or not as the case may be) with no indication on either premises as to where they've relocated to.

Nothing on their websites or social media platforms either.

Advertisement