Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

madmaggie wrote: »
    Any word of who will run in the southern part of the county? Probably the usual suspects. Maybe a far left or right to liven things up.

Unless Ms. Wallace takes a seat in Carlow LEA and the Father of the House as it were, Cllr. Foley in Muine Bheag steps down I think it's quite possible the same 18'll be returned........which is depressing!

Constituency wise FG Selection Night's next week; same 2 TDs going; FF've 3 and SF will only be running one so expect status quo at next GE.

Very hard to break the strangle hold; it's a big constituency for an Ind./NP or smaller party like Labour (Goresbridge SIPTU lad running; that's right on border and he'd be "well got") or PBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Constituency wise FG Selection Night's next week; same 2 TDs going; FF've 3 and SF will only be running one so expect status quo at next GE.

What have we done to deserve such useless TD's? I'd say FG will add another candidate afterwards. They've done that in the past.
    FF nearly got three seats last time which is beyond depressing as one of them is worst than the next and hold no appeal to someone educated like me who believes in bettering yourself or at least trying. All three FF are hardcore populist welfare junkies spouting easy answers. Murnane and Alyward especially are not very bright people...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Ah Nokia, you're depressing me. I'd have to look up Google to remind me what the councillors look like.

road_high wrote: »
    What have we done to deserve such useless TD's? I'd say FG will add another candidate afterwards. They've done that in the past.
    FF nearly got three seats last time which is beyond depressing as one of them is worst than the next and hold no appeal to someone educated like me who believes in bettering yourself or at least trying. All three FF are hardcore populist welfare junkies spouting easy answers. Murnane and Alyward especially are not very bright people...

Whatever ones opinions on Pat the mighty fall from grace on the day & night of the count by Sen. Murnane was something to behold.

She was so far ahead she was almost celebrating her seat on the wireless and in the count centre; well she got some land when FG transfers kept coming for Pat and the inevitability of it all began to dawn on her and her "Team Jen" as they're now known (see front pages of Carlow Nationalist and People and her social media platforms)......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Whatever ones opinions on Pat the mighty fall from grace on the day & night of the count by Sen. Murnane was something to behold.

She was so far ahead she was almost celebrating her seat on the wireless and in the count centre; well she got some land when FG transfers kept coming for Pat and the inevitability of it all began to dawn on her and her "Team Jen" as they're now known (see front pages of Carlow Nationalist and People and her social media platforms)......

Transfers shouldn't be allowed. It results in people getting elected even though other people got more votes. It's a sh1te system.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Transfers shouldn't be allowed. It results in people getting elected even though other people got more votes. It's a sh1te system.

PR is a very good system. Much more representative than simply 1st past the post.

Almost? :D
    Her supporters are clearly as thick as her- because it was perfectly obvious to anyone with an eye for these things that David Fitzgeralds 5k plus transfers weren't going to her- they logically went to Pat deering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

PR is a very good system. Much more representative than simply 1st past the post.

How so?

More people voted for Murnane than Deering. I'm not a Murnane fan by the way, just using this as an example.

Why is it better that someone got elected because their buddy got loads of votes and gave them a few thousand spares?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    How so?

More people voted for Murnane than Deering. I'm not a Murnane fan by the way, just using this as an example.

Why is it better that someone got elected because their buddy got loads of votes and gave them a few thousand spares?

She only got more no 1s...but with PR no 2,3 etc is given a weighting- as David Fitzgerald FG was eliminated his no 2s were all up for grabs and Deering got nearly all those.
    It’s not a matter of buddy’s handing people their votes- people (should have) put thought into giving Deering their No 2s as they did their No 1. That’s why parties encourage you to vote 1,2,3 for their candidates.
    In reality “Jens team” should save their ire for Mcguinness and Alyward who both made sure their own arses were covered getting elected ahead of her ensuring no transfers were available. FF votes tend to stay with the party so it was unbelievably naïve on “Team Jens” part that they didn’t see the same happening with FG votes.

Carlow IT must turn out thousands of quality educated graduates each year but the best we can muster are these shocking below par candidates. Sigh...

• Advertisement

It’s weird but in a way I actually sort of admire Wallace- at least she appears to have a bit of passion and conviction. I don’t necessarily agree with her but at least she’s not complete Magnolia like the rest.

For example I would have to compliment her work on the recent referendum. She worked hard canvassing and wasn’t afraid to nail her colors to the mast. Unlike the lazy fence sitters in FF, FG locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Well folks, just seen a house for rent up in Ardmore Gardens.. What's the area like?? I'm living in town but wouldn't be up that part of town at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Well folks, just seen a house for rent up in Ardmore Gardens.. What's the area like?? I'm living in town but wouldn't be up that part of town at all..

Not sure where it is? Is it across from Askea church, small 2 beds in a cup de sac?

Homesavers (Discount Store, Opening on Thursday the 1st of November) Recruitment Open Day tomorrow morning 10am in Turas Nua; **ALL** are welcome despite its location.

(It is more advantageous if you're a TN customer than just applying by e-mail directly mind)

Starts at 10am with a very brief 15 minute talk.

denis160 wrote: »
    Not sure where it is? Is it across from Askea church, small 2 beds in a cup de sac?

Not to worry, its gone.. viewing a house in Heatherhill Square tomorrow so fingers crossed

I haven't been in Heatons/Sports Direct since it was refurbished. I went upstairs there today to look at the clothes. Awful, won't be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

I haven't been in Heatons/Sports Direct since it was refurbished. I went upstairs there today to look at the clothes. Awful, won't be going back.

Whatever about the clothes, it’s like a maze trying to get through it on the ground floor, terrible layout & terrible clothes !

Spot on; their trousers all being done into S, M, L etc. means you end up looking for ages for your actual waist size.

Haven't had to go for shirts etc. yet but the above alone's helped make my mind up; Dunnes or Penneys it is.

Bit of a s**t storm at the Turas Nua offices this morning; people who weren't customers showed up and were refused entry to a brief talk by Homesavers who're beginning their recruitment drive..

Appears to be different levels of unemployment; you're more lucrative to Turas Nua and Homesavers if a customer it seems?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Both Turas Nua and the employer get money for taking on people who are long term unemployed hence the push towards sometimes unsuitable jobs for sometimes unsuitable candidates.

I believe Homesavers have a different day for those not on Turas Nua books (according to FB anyway!)

• Advertisement

I'm fast becoming a frequent customer of McDonagh Junction. I would love to support my own county town, but with Dunnes so far out, Heatons awful, and the town so spread out, it's way easier to head to Kilkenny. I know it's disloyal, but Carlow town has been seriously messed up.

I'm fast becoming a frequent customer of McDonagh Junction. I would love to support my own county town, but with Dunnes so far out, Heatons awful, and the town so spread out, it's way easier to head to Kilkenny. I know it's disloyal, but Carlow town has been seriously messed up.

It's funny living in KK I think the other way around. Nothing special in MacDonagh and Dunnes very boring. Much prefer a Tesco like in the Fairgreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

but with Dunnes so far out,

Seriously? Would you like it on your doorstep? Macdonagh junction isn't exactly down the road. In saying that it's something Carlow could badly do with a shopping and café centre.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Seriously? Would you like it on your doorstep? Macdonagh junction isn't exactly down the road. In saying that it's something Carlow could badly do with a shopping and cafentre.

Fairgreen?!

Fairgreen?!

True but not really the same type of Cafés that would attract the yummy mummys and costa is a bit estranged albeit the smaller branch beside argos. I'm not saying it's bad just that it could be better.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    True but not really the same type of Cafthat would attract the yummy mummys and costa is a bit estranged albeit the smaller branch beside argos. I'm not saying it's bad just that it could be better.

Well yea the restaurant upstairs now in Fairgreen is fairly rough and ready. But the place downstairs is alright.

Well yea the restaurant upstairs now in Fairgreen is fairly rough and ready. But the place downstairs is alright.

Our tastes must differ; was upstairs in Teddys this week for grub & have been to Cafe 1 downstairs regularly too (same owners/operators I think) and both're A1 to me.

Our tastes must differ; was upstairs in Teddys this week for grub & have been to Cafe 1 downstairs regularly too (same owners/operators I think) and both're A1 to me.

A few years since I was in. Seemed really downmarket sloppy affair to me and not particularly cheap either. Very canteen food feel. Defo better options about

Technically not Carlow but I see they've opened up access to the planned M9 services up passed Athy exit.

I wonder are they beginning work on it?

• Advertisement

Well folks, I'm viewing a house in Friars Green up the Tullow Rd on Monday.. Any idea what the area is like???

Advertisement