Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Well folks, I'm viewing a house in Friars Green up the Tullow Rd on Monday.. Any idea what the area is like???

Lived across the road in millennium court, afaik friars green was quiet enough, close enough to walk into town, lidl, Iceland literally 5 mins down the road, childcare centre in the estate & mostly owner occupied afaik! Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Thanks Denis, I live about 5 mins away now and wouldn't be up that way at all.. Cheers I appreciate the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Lived there about 14 years ago and was as described earlier, very quiet, mainly owner occupied and only trouble was bits of rubbish thrown over the wall down by the road to the other estates (Laurels and John Sweeney iirc).

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭He Who Dares Wins

Well folks, I'm viewing a house in Friars Green up the Tullow Rd on Monday.. Any idea what the area is like???

Lived there a few years ago and really liked it. Relative of mine did have a house burgaled there last year which was unfortunate.
    Some of the back gardens face towards the John Sweeny/Burrin manor area.
    Good luck with your viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

With a Carlow Pride Festival in the making for 2019 can anyone recall details of when the then owners of Ritz Hotel were chasing the pink pound in about 2006?

Have checked back through this thread and forum and it doesn't seem to go back far enough but I could just be passing by the thread (265 pages in this thread; 120 pages in Carlow forum.....)

Wondering did Legion of Mary object to change of use or were there any threats issued directly to then owners or what happened please?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Nokia6230i wrote:
    With a Carlow Pride Festival in the making for 2019 can anyone recall details of when the then owners of Ritz Hotel were chasing the pink pound in about 2006?

I worked on that when it was been refurbished. I can't fully remember but all most certain that was all a rumour started by a local publican. The owners never had any other intention but to open cosmo browns

So Wetherspoons is coming to town; it's location in between Scraggs & Tullys will make them buck up their ideas surely?

Latter two've had the shirt off of many a students back; this'll shake things up a bit.

Fifty jobs, €3 Million investment, opening June 2019 > https://www.carlowlive.ie/news/home/342091/total-of-50-jobs-to-be-created-as-jd-wetherspoon-starts-workon-new-pubin-carlow.html

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

MSD are also building a new plant and creating 170 new jobs.

https://twitter.com/ida_BrendanMcD/status/1052189006954414080

Attended a meeting with Sen. Murnane O'Connor today; I think she still thinks she's a Cllr. from the questions she was asking.

Brevity isn't her strong point; it's more about word count and quantity rather than quality of query.

Meeting went on but without her presence it'd've been over at least half hour earlier.

Any opportunity to speak or ask questions or congratulate somebody on something she took it no matter what relevance it had.

Makes me wonder when speaking times for politicians are totted up annually; the higher the better in theory but in hers absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Attended a meeting with Sen. Murnane O'Connor today; I think she still thinks she's a Cllr. from the questions she was asking.

Brevity isn't her strong point; it's more about word count and quantity rather than quality of query.

Meeting went on but without her presence it'd've been over at least half hour earlier.

Any opportunity to speak or ask questions or congratulate somebody on something she took it no matter what relevance it had.

Makes me wonder when speaking times for politicians are totted up annually; the higher the better in theory but in hers absolutely not.

I made the mistake of liking her Facebook page and got daily video's of her telling The Seanad how she's "massively concerned" about everything!

I un-liked!

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I made the mistake of liking her Facebook page and got daily video's of her telling The Seanad how she's "massively concerned" about everything!

I un-liked!

Count yourself lucky you'd the choice I guess?

She blocked me and others for querying why somebody, who benefits from democracy, voted to deny us a referendum.....

Her news feed is ridiculously front loaded with scheduled posts; way too many.

Whichever minion she hired, via Carlow Volunteer Centre, to do her social media for her either needs to be sacked or she needs further training.

Still think CVC carrying an ad for her (well, technically the local FF Cumann; I have the screenshots), supporting a political party effectively was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

CVC?

CVC?

Sorry; Carlow Volunteer Centre.

They hosted an ad in 2016 or 2017 (I have it if proof reqd.; mine indicates 2017 but she was elected to Seanad in Autumn 2016) for a social media volunteer.

Hours were from 2 to 4pm I think, once a week on Thursdays and it was aimed @ IT Carlow PR & Marketing students.

Shocked that the FF Cumann/Senator wouldn't throw the person a few pounds for the couple of hours initially scheduled; even if it was cash I'd've been ok with that but a Senator's not short a few bob like so why use Carlow Volunteer Centre to carry an ad for a political vacancy for a social media volunteer?

It stinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,601 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Any sign of the med reopening ?

In the mean time Is the salt bar worth a visit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I like Salt bar, not too busy and no awful loud music ringing in your ears. The selection of drinks is small in comparison to other pubs but I say that as someone who usually likes craft beers which they only have O' Haras pale ale on draft.

Anyone go to Scarefest tonight; the trial in court house and subsequent burning of witch and dancing and magician in Haymarket at Town Hall?

Feedback seems to be issues with elevation; the area slopes down to Town Hall but not a sufficient slope in terms of granting all audience a decent viewing platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Walked down took one look and went home the kids wouldn't have seen a thing and it was freezing. They could've thrown out a few seating areas and lowered those closest to the fence. Also some of the music was interesting appreciate it's not like Christmas with carols etc. A nice location for those kind of events but needs better layout. They could hold excellent food or Christmas fairs in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sheppy88

Hey all
    Not sure if this is the right or best place to post.
    I recently signed up with Adrenaline Club in Carlow for a block of fitness classes and then last week received an email saying that the business was closing with immediate effect..
    I’m quite annoyed as it paid in advance and now down money.. has this happened anyone else who knows what is going on - if it’s going to reopen or members refunded etc

I think there was a lack of investment and not enough membership take up also the owner Gary Flannery had a bad accident recently and this probably compounded everything. I haven't been up myself but it looked as though they invested heavily in equipment and staff also which presumably will now be out of work. It's a real shame as you'll be hard pushed to meet a nicer fella and he's certainly gone out of his way for numerous causes amongst many funding for Shan Tynan on her trip over to the states for cancer treatment which was successful.

As for folks like yourself I'm sure there's none more disappointed than Gary and hopefully everyone will be refunded. Have you been up to the gym? Is it closed up?Have you tried contacting Gary directly?

The email for anyone that may be interested;

"I am deeply sorry to bring the news, that as it stands Adrenaline HPL is no longer a viable business. What began with the best of intentions has unfortunately not materialised.

My concept was to bring the services of Nutritionists, Fitness Coaches and Physical Therapists together to offer a holistic approach to all members. I was very fortunate to have brought together a team I believe to be the best in their respective fields.
    This vision could only remain achievable with suitable financial investment.

I would like to acknowledge the commitment and professionalism shown by all staff members, particularly over the last 8 weeks whilst I was recovering. If at any point you come across the staff that have worked within Adrenaline, I would encourage you all to avail of their expertise.

To each and every person who supported Adrenaline, I thank you most sincerely for your support and incredible memories over the years.

I am aware that people have booked services that are no longer available, any possibility of refunds will be explored over the coming weeks.
    Glofox have been instructed not to process any further payments.

Gary."

Sheppy88 wrote: »
    Hey all
    Not sure if this is the right or best place to post.
    I recently signed up with Adrenaline Club in Carlow for a block of fitness classes and then last week received an email saying that the business was closing with immediate effect..
    I’m quite annoyed as it paid in advance and now down money.. has this happened anyone else who knows what is going on - if it’s going to reopen or members refunded etc

You should try emailing/messaging him directly regarding a refund, I know of others who had purchased 3+ class packs and are well down. He may not have wanted it to happen but I do think the signs were there. Regardless of his accident, the running side of things had quietened considerably, the spin classes with Keith were probably the busiest out there, the cardio classes busy but not as much. I wish him & the staff well & hope that they are all back doing what they do best very soon.
    Best of luck & I hope you get sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

denis160 wrote: »
    You should try emailing/messaging him directly regarding a refund, I know of others who had purchased 3+ class packs and are well down. He may not have wanted it to happen but I do think the signs were there. Regardless of his accident, the running side of things had quietened considerably, the spin classes with Keith were probably the busiest out there, the cardio classes busy but not as much. I wish him & the staff well & hope that they are all back doing what they do best very soon.
    Best of luck & I hope you get sorted.

thats a pity about Gary, from what I saw of him he was a good guy. The accident didn't help his situation but I wonder if he was in the wrong location. It's not really safe to be running out that road by the Golf course

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

I see the Seven Oaks have installed a vending machine in the darkest corner of the bar if you want a bag of Taytos and are charging 1.40 for it. Possibly the dearest crisps in Ireland!!

The Carlow Islamic Cultural Centre had a Fundraising Dinner in the Talbot recently.

With plans to purchase a property to refurbish appropriately €11,000 was raised on the night.

https://www.carlowmosque.com/carlow-islamic-cultural-centre-holds-fundraising-event/?fbclid=IwAR0VKH1cP2DKH_hOVGqEWAUSTQwqwEdfAa93EMF4jhSxO9SfOHiY_7UZcTE

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I see the Seven Oaks have installed a vending machine in the darkest corner of the bar if you want a bag of Taytos and are charging 1.40 for it. Possibly the dearest crisps in Ireland!!

The 7 Oaks is pricey in general in my experience. It’s a long time since they’ve been charging €12.50/13.50 for a carvery lunch which is a euro or two more than the Talbot. Place badly needs a major overhaul too

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I think there was a lack of investment and not enough membership take up also the owner Gary Flannery had a bad accident recently and this probably compounded everything. I haven't been up myself but it looked as though they invested heavily in equipment and staff also which presumably will now be out of work. It's a real shame as you'll be hard pushed to meet a nicer fella and he's certainly gone out of his way for numerous causes amongst many funding for Shan Tynan on her trip over to the states for cancer treatment which was successful.

As for folks like yourself I'm sure there's none more disappointed than Gary and hopefully everyone will be refunded. Have you been up to the gym? Is it closed up?Have you tried contacting Gary directly?

The email for anyone that may be interested;

"I am deeply sorry to bring the news, that as it stands Adrenaline HPL is no longer a viable business. What began with the best of intentions has unfortunately not materialised.

My concept was to bring the services of Nutritionists, Fitness Coaches and Physical Therapists together to offer a holistic approach to all members. I was very fortunate to have brought together a team I believe to be the best in their respective fields.
    This vision could only remain achievable with suitable financial investment.

I would like to acknowledge the commitment and professionalism shown by all staff members, particularly over the last 8 weeks whilst I was recovering. If at any point you come across the staff that have worked within Adrenaline, I would encourage you all to avail of their expertise.

To each and every person who supported Adrenaline, I thank you most sincerely for your support and incredible memories over the years.

I am aware that people have booked services that are no longer available, any possibility of refunds will be explored over the coming weeks.
    Glofox have been instructed not to process any further payments.

Gary."

Possibility of refunds will be explored? Doesn’t sound very promising for people that paid upfront. That’s why people are often relectant to sign up to new gyms.
    Sad for the owner as I’m sure this was the last thing he wanted on top of a horrible accident.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    The Carlow Islamic Cultural Centre had a Fundraising Dinner in the Talbot recently.

With plans to purchase a property to refurbish appropriately €11,000 was raised on the night.

https://www.carlowmosque.com/carlow-islamic-cultural-centre-holds-fundraising-event/?fbclid=IwAR0VKH1cP2DKH_hOVGqEWAUSTQwqwEdfAa93EMF4jhSxO9SfOHiY_7UZcTE

Who's the girl front and centre? She stands out like a sore thumb in that crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

Carlow Credit Union on the front page of The Nationalist with a sacking and high court injunctions.

Carlow Credit Union on the front page of The Nationalist with a sacking and high court injunctions.

Seen that, gross misconduct. The man involved has been there years remember him from credit union in burrin street!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Isn't it great to see ANOTHER discount store opening in Carlow.

Great that it brings employment and a bit more life to tullow Street but another discount strore is the last thing Carlow requires.

• Advertisement

Isn't it great to see ANOTHER discount store opening in Carlow.

Great that it brings employment and a bit more life to tullow Street but another discount strore is the last thing Carlow requires.

The Range
    Mr. Price
    Euro Giant x 2
    Dealz
    Homesavers

Is that it?

Not saying it's a lot; just curious am I missing out on any?

Homesavers'd a Recruitment Open Day in Turas Nua and those who were refused entry were told there'd be a general open recruitment day.

There wasn't..........

Advertisement