Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I passed Homesavers at 9:10am this morning no queue outside however you could see all the staff were inside the door with balloons and streamers ready to go.

Usually there is a queue outside shops open as people expect deals.

What kind of deals do bargain shops do did I miss out big or should I have gone in to be the first customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    The Range
    Mr. Price
    Euro Giant x 2
    Dealz
    Homesavers

Is that it?

Not saying it's a lot; just curious am I missing out on any?

Lots For Less in Graiguecullen

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

It looks like there may be a new development going into the boarded up area over by Woodies

http://www.eplanning.ie/CarlowCC/AppFileRefDetails/18433/0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Yer man behind It's All About Carlow.

Last Thursday he shows up at opening day to Homesavers and proceeds to live-stream a walk through he did.

Staff members and patrons visible and clearly identifiable; none of whom gave consent to be videoed by some randomer.

Watched the video; with about 3 mins. to go he's approached by a store manager to ask who he is and he initially tells the manager he's making a video and that he'd e-mailed the page before quickly correcting himself to say it was a PM.

Presuming the PM was his asking them for permission, this doesn't mean he had like.

Couldn't believe he was let carry on rest of his journey; I'd've asked him to stop recording, delete what he had and leave the store; I'd've barred him.

His reasoning was he was giving the store some publicity; I think he'll find they don't need it, they certainly don't need some lad walking around videoing anything and everybody without their consent......

His Facebook group has 8,089 members; his page has 3,461 and he's also behind this Carlow FM yoke too.

Ideas above his station? Surely if Homesavers wanted to do a launch they'd get the KCLR Lunchtime Show to do it.

Looks like c—— ha—- but don’t think it’s her

Not sure who C-- ha - is; she's not in public limelight so I won't name her here but I know who she is now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Nokia6230i wrote:

Nokia6230i wrote:
    Last Thursday he shows up at opening day to Homesavers and proceeds to live-stream a walk through he did.

At the Halloween witch trail he knocked my youngest down running to the front to live stream it. My wife went to say it to him but he ignored her. Just was mumbling he has thousands viewing and is an official with the event(lucky I wasn't there). He came into a site I was working on the other day in town asking can he look around and looking for information for his followers.

iano.p wrote: »
    At the Halloween witch trail he knocked my youngest down running to the front to live stream it. My wife went to say it to him but he ignored her. Just was mumbling he has thousands viewing and is an official with the event(lucky I wasn't there). He came into a site I was working on the other day in town asking can he look around and looking for information for his followers.

Fair sure I know the premises you're referring to and am not surprised; he posted up pics of it from a Tullow St. vantage point during the week.

Amn't surprised either he tried to come on site; unlikely he has Safe Pass, PPP etc.; someday he'll just stroll in through an open door though unannounced.

His followers'd do well to get their information from reliable sources; he must be a pain in the for Nationalist, KCLR, Carlow Live etc.

As for the Halloween Witch Trial; he's not involved in any official capacity and an e-mail to Scarefest will confirm this; expect him to be filming this afternoon at the Eist walk & Christmas lights switch on; again he's not involved in an official capacity.

Nokia6230i wrote:
    Fair sure I know the premises you're referring to and am not surprised; he posted up pics of it from a Tullow St. vantage point during the week.

I don't follow him on Facebook so don't know the man at all. Yeah I was on tullow street I never thought of emailing about the organisers about it too late now. Does privacy laws come into play with anyone live streaming an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Nokia6230i wrote: »

Staff members and patrons visible and clearly identifiable; none of whom gave consent to be videoed by some randomer.

Watched the video; with about 3 mins. to go he's approached by a store manager to ask who he is and he initially tells the manager he's making a video and that he'd e-mailed the page before quickly correcting himself to say it was a PM.

Presuming the PM was his asking them for permission, this doesn't mean he had like.

Couldn't believe he was let carry on rest of his journey; I'd've asked him to stop recording, delete what he had and leave the store; I'd've barred him.

His reasoning was he was giving the store some publicity; I think he'll find they don't need it, they certainly don't need some lad walking around videoing anything and everybody without their consent......

His Facebook group has 8,089 members; his page has 3,461 and he's also behind this Carlow FM yoke too.

Ideas above his station? Surely if Homesavers wanted to do a launch they'd get the KCLR Lunchtime Show to do it.

Where can we see this video?!

road_high wrote: »
    Where can we see this video?!

You'll have to join the group (don't worry they'll let anybody in!) first to view it but here's the link to video > https://www.facebook.com/ItsAllAboutCarlow/videos/199805790931841/

He gets spoken to by acting store manager from about 3:40 into it; videos about 6 minutes and 20 seconds long.

He's a spoofer but am still baffled about how he wasn't told to desist; no staff member or customer consented and many're visible/identifiable.

• Advertisement

I don't follow him on Facebook so don't know the man at all. Yeah I was on tullow street I never thought of emailing about the organisers about it too late now. Does privacy laws come into play with anyone live streaming an event.

Would certainly imagine Data Protection or GDPR issues're raised; but even from a manners or common sense perspective videoing someone without their consent is crass to be polite.

Who do you complain to? In this case Homesavers, or whichever premises/site it occurs on.

I'll give you an example of how it's done right; sometimes there'll be filming in Carlow Library (say, by the council); they'll put signs up at all entry points indicating this in advance in terms of specific days/dates/times; ergo if you don't want to be accidentally captured on film you simply avoid the premises at that time.

Also remember if he comes onto your premises without consent it's trespass; I'd grab his phone as it's live-streaming and turn on a cement mixer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I used to follow that page but got outta there right quick it's full of inbred carlow muppets to be honest. Also I see one lady said she didn't give permission for her childs face on camera to which he replied it's pointed at the ground when clearly it wasn't. A lesson for the new manager there, he should've been told to put down the camera or leave as soon as he said he was streaming. I'm sure home savers have their own media dept.

I also saw twinkies I'm going tomorrow always wanted to try one:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I used to follow that page but got outta there right quick

Same here. He's an accident waiting to happen. Not sure where he gets all this time from, while the rest of us are in work he's posting old photos of Carlow, and asking people what their favourite chocolate bar used to be. I'd say he's a bit simple, perhaps with mental health issues, so i've unfollowed that page.

IMO he should have been prosecuted by Tusla for sharing those livestream videos made by whats-her-name. How could he have been so stupid to share videos with thousands of followers, where she was naming social workers, her son in care, and sharing confidential calls with Tusla. She's getting her comeuppance, but everyone else who shared those calls should also get the same.

Same here. He's an accident waiting to happen. Not sure where he gets all this time from, while the rest of us are in work he's posting old photos of Carlow, and asking people what their favourite chocolate bar used to be. I'd say he's a bit simple, perhaps with mental health issues, so i've unfollowed that page.

IMO he should have been prosecuted by Tusla for sharing those livestream videos made by whats-her-name. How could he have been so stupid to share videos with thousands of followers, where she was naming social workers, her son in care, and sharing confidential calls with Tusla. She's getting her comeuppance, but everyone else who shared those calls should also get the same.

Agreed; that was absolutely car crash by all involved. I recall a comment in it saying something about legal advice being just that; that they don't/she doesn't have to take it.

The legal advice was coming from her team; the ones she presumably is paying for; if unhappy with this then surely stop using them and change law firm.......

Spot on about it being shared individually and in that group etc.; so much of it was "U alright hun?" balderdash.

I note her Justice for XY page was taken down; don't know who began it but again I doubt much thought went into it.

Does anyone know who that crowd 'Xenotta' are? There's a billboard across from the Highfield roundabout, on the O'Brien road, for Xenotta modular data centres. Nothing showing up on Google about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

Does anyone know who that crowd 'Xenotta' are? There's a billboard across from the Highfield roundabout, on the O'Brien road, for Xenotta modular data centres. Nothing showing up on Google about them.

Quick Google search shows them as a company founded in carlow in June with a registered office on o'brien road. Wondering are they connected to one of the light engineering companies around there?

Nokia6230i wrote:
    Also remember if he comes onto your premises without consent it's trespass; I'd grab his phone as it's live-streaming and turn on a cement mixer!

The local "reporter" came onto site yesterday raging I missed him. Saying he had been onto the owner of building and had permission to look and video. He was asked for to show it but his battery had died. He sent a message to the main Facebook page based in England. Needless to say he was told to feck off. He had some story about his pages and radio work with an audience of hundreds of thousands.

The local "reporter" came onto site yesterday raging I missed him. Saying he had been onto the owner of building and had permission to look and video. He was asked for to show it but his battery had died. He sent a message to the main Facebook page based in England. Needless to say he was told to feck off. He had some story about his pages and radio work with an audience of hundreds of thousands.

No PPE; ergo he shouldn't be on site; he's neck like a jockeys!

Convenient that the battery on his phone'd died alright......!

Here's what he posted this morning:

"Its all about Carlow spoke to the Pub operator JD Wetherspoon last night getting to know more about the new venture that will be arriving in Carlow soon.

The development began work on the new pub in Carlow on Monday 12 November I'm the formally known Traders Bar, in Tullow Street, and it is being redeveloped at a cost of just over three million euros.

The new pub, which will be called The Tullow Gate, is set to officially open on April 23 2019 with a total of 50 new jobs will be created.

The pub will take its name from the Tullow Gate, one of the four town gates in the old walls around Carlow, that once stood near to the site of the new pub.

The proposed design for The Tullow Gate pub incorporates one bar and customer area on the ground floor level and a second bar on the first-floor customer level.

A first-floor roof terrace, accessed via summer doors through the first-floor bar, has a partially covered space, as well as outdoor customer area, at the rear of the premises.

Wetherspoon founder and chairman Tim Martin told us: “ We are delighted that development work on the pub is to start soon. “We are confident that the pub will be a welcome addition to the town and prove popular with people of all ages. “Hopefully the new pub will act as a catalyst for other businesses to invest in Carlow.”

Exciting times ahead indeed."

All his information can be gleaned from planning permission notice/s and various articles by Carlow Live, Carlow Nationalist and KCLR yet people seem to absolutely lap it up as if he's their chief source for information.

Of the information he's published there'd be a serious bang of copy and paste plagiarism going on.

Is he getting ready to run in the next council election I wonder trying to build up a voting crowd with this Facebook page.

Things open Christmas Day.

Soup Kitchen 12:30pm Sitting (though I think people've to book)

Maxol/Mace on O'Brien Rd. 24/7 so no change on the day

Green Chilli Indian Restaurant on Dublin St. 12 Noon til 10:30pm (their normal hours, seven days a week) and it's also BYO (as is normal; they don't have a licence to sell wine/beer/spirits)

Tullow St. Pharmacy 9am-8pm (these're their normal hours seven days a week)

• Advertisement

Is he getting ready to run in the next council election I wonder trying to build up a voting crowd with this Facebook page.

Could be an option; but he'd lose his shirt if he did.

Deposit's 250 I think; not sure to get it refunded if it's a quarter of the quota or 1st Count.

It's like the Peter Casey phenomenon though; many said they'd vote for him in a General Election but the 21% or so he gained in Presidential Election doesn't automatically translate into constituency votes; many only came out and voted for him because of his Traveller comments and won't vote in a GE or LE; unsure how many in Donegal, the closest constituency to Derry for him, voted for him or if of that cohort they'd all vote in a GE for him.......

With that in mind yer man running It's All About Carlow may be in for a land if he goes as an Ind./NP candidate (no party locally'll touch him and at any rate they've all had their conventions bar SF I think); those 8,000 Likes aren't likely to even be in the Carlow LEA much less the county in general; would like to see his stats on who posts from where.

Not sure of calibre of those who aren't sitting Cllrs.; our local PBP agitator is running locally and also for General Election and Labour have a lad too; both're in Carlow LEA.

Lads can anyone recommend a decent autobody/mechanic place in and around town. I need a bit of rust work done on the van on sill and brake lines.

I was looking up a place called corcorans any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rum Ham!

Lads can anyone recommend a decent autobody/mechanic place in and around town. I need a bit of rust work done on the van on sill and brake lines.

I've got lots of work done in Corcorans and couldn't recommend them enough. Great workmanship and decent people.

iwillhtfu wrote:

I have used corcorans a few times. I found them good. My work jeep went into dermodys out near the dolmen couldn't fault them either. Price about

Unsure if people've noticed a dip in the level of begging since bye-laws came in?

Recently, incl. today, Christmas Eve, I've seen the young wan (name with held because I don't know the protocol of such things on Boards; PM me for name) outside of Centra on Potato Mkt.; a most lucrative spot.

SD (Skinny lad) on Kennedy Ave. at Carlow S.C.; this is a regular haunt of his; during the week he was a little further up on evening with a white duvet wrapped round him at Ulster Bank and was quite literally coining it in; people who're giving to this/these j****e s**m need to start asking the hard questions.

Either that or "pay it forward" as it were and hand it straight over to whoever their dealer is because that's where it's going.

Sunday morning there was a Romanian lad sat down in Cathedral Close between Cathedral yard and Penny Lane which is an area of high footfall; no flies on him.

How do I know he's Romanian? I spoke to him; he maintains he has a wife and kids and is living in Carlow; I've never seen him round those parts mind so unless he's begging somewhere else in the town.

Mass times at Cathedral (unsure what it's like for Askea or St. Clares) are a haven for the tapping brigade.

I read the Advance Technology Building is at purchase stage. Does anyone know where the chosen site is?

https://www.carlowlive.ie/news/home/354184/acquisition-underway-for-multi-million-euro-advanced-tech-building-in-carlow.html

I read the Advance Technology Building is at purchase stage. Does anyone know where the chosen site is?

https://www.carlowlive.ie/news/home/354184/acquisition-underway-for-multi-million-euro-advanced-tech-building-in-carlow.html

If I'm reading that correctly they're investing in a building for potential tenants. It smacks of a box ticking exercise by the IDA to fulfil their quota for the RPP. Surely there are enough empty buildings in Carlow as it is. I wonder do they even have a list of potential tenants?

If I'm reading that correctly they're investing in a building for potential tenants. It smacks of a box ticking exercise by the IDA to fulfil their quota for the RPP. Surely there are enough empty buildings in Carlow as it is. I wonder do they even have a list of potential tenants?

I worked in a former carpet factory, now housing a large technology team. It was horrible and depressing, with feck all windows. A good work environment matters to most high tech companies and employees. I wouldn't be surprised if it's cheaper to build from scratch than to renovate empty industrial buildings which may have contaminated soil.

This is what happens when a company moves into an old building that needs a major overhaul...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/sean-gallagher-firm-in-high-court-dispute-over-heating-system-in-dublin-premises-873567.html

They will probably end up buying Braun off Gallagher for twice what he paid for it and leave it sitting like is doing.

• Advertisement

They will probably end up buying Braun off Gallagher for twice what he paid for it and leave it sitting like is doing.

That's my fear, although I'm not sure if it's better off in Gallaghers greedy hands.

Advertisement