Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,600 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    As heard on this mornings KCLR Live Tullow LEA won't have to worry about being ready for a Trans candidate or a PBP one or both as M/x O'Keeffe is now no longer running.

The PBP Carlow & Kilkenny LE 19 Candidate Launch is on tonight in Seven Oaks @ 7:30pm; me thinks Richard Boyd Barrett who was on KCLR Live this morning in Part One/First Hour and who also was at an IT Carlow SU "Meet the Politicians" event @ 1pm Lunchtime today will be somewhat underwhelmed by attendance; the smallest of the upstairs function rooms (Rossmore suite) is being used.

They shout a lot, make some noise and throw their weight around @ various protests on & off line but they don't gain traction at the polling booths, in the polls etc.

Would love to know their membership numbers locally and nationally but the viewing figures for Wallaces live stream launch as I mentioned in 4043 were fairly embarrassing; is this a sign of how she's perceived locally, regionally and nationally?

My guess is the constituents that they aim for and that complain about everything as much as the PBP type parties are also the least likely to actually use their right to vote and sit at home complaining about everything instead of actually going to a polling booth and casting a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Do others on here find that parties only target certain areas? Out here it's the two main parties, as it's a farming area, rarely see a Labour person, never SF. Jennifer was out here three times last general election. PBP lady would get short shrift. I know a candidate from one of the two main parties didn't bother going to a council estate as he thought the residents wouldn't be his demographic. You can't assume everyone in one area is of one mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

madmaggie wrote: »
    Do others on here find that parties only target certain areas? Out here it's the two main parties, as it's a farming area, rarely see a Labour person, never SF. Jennifer was out here three times last general election. PBP lady would get short shrift. I know a candidate from one of the two main parties didn't bother going to a council estate as he thought the residents wouldn't be his demographic. You can't assume everyone in one area is of one mind.

Its funny you should say that we had a family death a couple of years ago the local counciller called he targated the people in the family that he felt he was going to get a vote from. I just live outside his area so I was barely looked at , as regards the siblings that came from Dublin, Australia ,etc, they were just allien to him a brother of mine who is a silent partner in a business locally he lives in Dublin he when he got wind of the business starting up the counciller was on kclr, he photo was on kilkenny people about the new jobs in the area since he got elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

Got a fair shock when I heard what happened Fr John Cummins last night, he was a nice man who I got to know well over the years. Seemingly there is a special mass tonight (Thursday 31st) in the Cathedral as funeral arrangements are not yet finalised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Got a shock myself Fr John was a good priest and a good man. I got to know him years ago and he always stopped for a chat no airs or graces about him. He will be missed by a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

Was a lovely ceremony, Fr Ruairi spoke very movingly about Fr John, the arrangements are as follows.
    Funeral of Fr John Cummins Reception of remains to Church of the Most Holy Rosary, Abbeyleix at 6.30pm on Fri 1st of Feb 2019 Reposing until 9pm, concluding with Night Prayer. On Saturday Requiem Mass at 12 pm on Sat. After requiem mass he will return to family home in Newbridge. There will be mass on Monday at St.Conleths followed by burial.
    Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭votecounts

Great result in the hurling by Carlow, wish i'd been there

Was a lovely ceremony, Fr Ruairi spoke very movingly about Fr John, the arrangements are as follows.
    Funeral of Fr John Cummins Reception of remains to Church of the Most Holy Rosary, Abbeyleix at 6.30pm on Fri 1st of Feb 2019 Reposing until 9pm, concluding with Night Prayer. On Saturday Requiem Mass at 12 pm on Sat. After requiem mass he will return to family home in Newbridge. There will be mass on Monday at St.Conleths followed by burial.
    Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis

yeah, in fairness the got it spot on. huge crowd at it. The clamping saga was a bit sad though, one of the priests got done. I presume it is in the old L&N carpark that the issue seems to be

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Interesting IT article in relation to a Carlow Man who became a founding father of the US. From Ballintemple near Ardattin, Ballintemple is an interesting part of Carlow in itself.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/the-carlow-man-who-became-a-us-founding-father-and-one-of-the-biggest-slave-owners-1.3789490?fbclid=IwAR31Tuv56dpxK0iaoKSDw4_VlYHXnhCH7oFeSQGLeQUh8OQKk-NYr11tFu4#.XGMKGbQ70vk.facebook

So Walter Lacy is retiring, John Cassin has thrown the toys out of the crib and walked from SF and is now running as an independent and with the poll topper last time round (Jennifer MOC) out of the race, the council elections are starting to get interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

So Walter Lacy is retiring, John Cassin has thrown the toys out of the crib and walked from SF and is now running as an independent and with the poll topper last time round (Jennifer MOC) out of the race, the council elections are starting to get interesting.

On top of this there's a Billy Nolan running in Tullow LEA; he's from Ballon.

Nationalist article says he was FG in past but none of local Cllrs. say he was.

However he ran in 99, 2004, 2009 & 2014; 2004 was Labour, others were Ind.

In Carlow LEA with Cllr. Lacey stepping away & JC going rogue as it were (SF wanted to run two candidates locally; this risked a SF seat was Johns thinking; now they'll probably lose that seat altogether; I don't know who their remaining candidate is mind) Ms. Wallace (who had yet another bucking protest outside council on Monday!) might fancy her chances.

On another note TWO ex FG Cllrs. who lost seats in 2014're hoping to get nom's @ selection convention @ end of month; nominations to be received by this Saturday Lunchtime if this is to happen.

Looking to the south of the county & Cllr. McDonald's not happy with TWO FF Candidates being added to the ticket; one's from Tinnahinch, a part of the county I doubt Mr. McDonald is even aware of!

Lastly, Peadar Toibíns Aontú're in town is night week I think; will be interesting to see do any LE 19 candidates come from that or if any of the other new parties (not all registered incl. Aontu) such as Renua (R), Identity Ireland (R), National Party (U/R), Irexit (U/R); in Co. Kilkenny ex SF Cllr. Melissa O'Neill from Mullinavat launched her LE 19 campaign at Irexit conference in Rhu Glenn Hotel....as an Ind. candidate......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I agree with Wallace again (shock horror!) on the need for a Women’s refuge in Carlow. Otherwise women and families in already distressed and vulnerable circumstances have to get to Kilkenny. I can imagine that could be difficult with no car or limited means.
    I don’t agree with PBP but think she’d shake things up majorly in the council. She’s very active and seems to have a lot of time to devote

Four Star Pizza to open in the petrol station across from the Credit Union.

Four Star Pizza to open in the petrol station across from the Credit Union.

Luigis re-opening up there again soon as well.

That’s two chippers a Chinese and a pizza place all within a stones throw of each other there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Is that where he's spending his time now? I thought I hadn't seen him on Boards for a while.

Someone was telling me today that Fergal Browne thinks the council should buy the Braun site and turn it into the new Graveyard.

What a fcuking joke that site is tuning into 10 years empty now.

The sugar factory site empty for 12 years now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Anytime I see new places of employment being opened I think "why isn't that in Carlow". The sad truth being nobody is arsed about Carlow.

Well if the a councilor is calling for a major industrial site to be turned into a graveyard that pretty much sums up his attitude to Carlow.

Carlow is now a graveyard when it comes to major industry employment.

Full story here on Carlow Live (since that p***k in It's All About Carlow won't share it because he disagreed with the journalist accurately reporting on a drugs seizure in January in the same area as the Manor he lives in; he'll inevitably nick the story mind...) > https://www.carlowlive.ie/news/home/366301/the-site-isn-t-attractive-concerns-expressed-over-future-of-former-braun-plant-in-carlow.html?fbclid=IwAR3o3021BMpIDmTqg-SFQpbH6upYIn8ZkbKn2BPuRxpM83T62Z8RfAARwy4

It's pure s***e PR from a Cllr. to want it as a graveyard since it's been lying there idle for 10 years now; the analogy is akin to Carlow being twinned with Dole!! (Would love to know the thinking behind that one at council level; was it just because a trip to France every couple of years was on the cards?)

As ever some of the comments under the story relate to utilising it for social housing; you get a house, you get a house, we all get a house apparently??

These duckers don't seem to grasp fundamentals; the area's zoned industrial & commercial, there'd be serious environmental studies to be done in terms of cleaning up the site not to mention the white shining teeth of Sean Gallagher that beamed out from front page of Nationalist in 2015'd have to be cleaned multiple times over to sell it to council; it would not be financially feasible.

As for this obsession with social housing, I'm not sure how bad it is in the county but in the town everyone seems to bucking want some; it's embarrassing!

"See that empty site there yeah? They should put social housing on it" "But it's private property" "Yeah but still the Govt./Council....".

It's like in KK, or KKK as I prefer to call it now; when the Mosque & More was being planned for all the shouts were there should be social housing on the site......which is a private development in an industrial area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

"the site isn't attractive for investors"

How is he coming to that conclusion? Is it being given to him by the owners of the site, who might want it re-zoned residential? It shouldn't be re-zoned for housing because that'd reward the owners who have done nothing with it since buying it 2015.

The council should impose the full vacant site levy, if they're not already doing so.

Manufacturing isn't coming back to Ireland though, unless it's bio-tech/pharma, like MSD.

It's an excellent location - for a hotel, or south-east convention centre, or offices. It needs capital investment though, and Clyde don't seem to have any. If their treatment of Nokia in Blanchardstown is anything to go by, i don't think any company would want them as landlords.

Anyway, there was talk of them putting together a master plan for the site. I wouldn't be writing it off yet.

Route for this years Carlow town's St. Patks Day Parade's changed along with time.

It's put back by half an hour (or even an hour; can't remember if it was 3 or 3:30pm last year) to 4 O'Clock.

Gathering, for the third year running, in Perrys Cash & Carry Car Park (Penneys lies vacant yet still they don't use it......) and proceeding up Kennedy Ave.

No viewing stand on Kennedy Ave. this year.

When it reaches the roundabout it turns left onto Potato Mkt., turns left again onto Tullow St. Lwr. and then right onto Dublin St. and then left again down Centaur St. and into Haymarket where there'll be a viewing stand (guessing it'll be in front of Town Hall or Church of Ireland Community Building but either way it's a moot point; they have to be close to the action despite their elevated position on back of a lorry).

This year there'll be a St. Patks Festival across both Saturday the 16th and Sunday the 17th and Haymarket'll be closed off form 8am-8pm both days.

All the usual s***e'll be there from face-painting to other kiddie stuff and over-priced hot-dogs/warm beer etc. But in all seriousness I do like that they're trying to make a go of it, do something different much like they did for Scarefest & Christmas Market.

Spoke to a Farmers Market regular and he said they were quoted €75 for a stall; madness that is.

Why would you leave your regular pitch, for which you're also paying, to be charged another €75?

They should be being encouraged and not discouraged; if the committee believe in this then surely for the first year they should write off the 75 (to add I don't know if that's per day or covers both days) for Farmers Market stallholders at least if not for all maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Anytime I see new places of employment being opened I think "why isn't that in Carlow". The sad truth being nobody is arsed about Carlow.

But are the people of Carlow arsed about Carlow I'd ask? There's a particular apathy surrounding politics in Carlow (and Kilkenny) whereby the ordinary joe-soap is very apolitical and sees little connection between the vegetables they keep sending to Dail Eireann and local investment-
    you go to almost anywhere else and the locals are fiercely tuned into to getting "stuff" for their constituency. Especially places in Munster and the west of Ireland- they relentlessly lobby and get politicians into positions of strong influence. We just don't seem to want to do that here unfortunately.
    Guarantee if this was in Kerry or Mayo (both far more peripheral locations) the Braun factory would be up and running with something new. To listen to Cllr Browne in all seriousness talking (seriously i gather) about a cemetery extension on to this valuable site beggars belief.
    Carlow needs a strong political champion along the lines of those Healy Reas or something like that. It's the only way central govt will listen

Harsh and cold reality is that low skilled manufacturing like Braun will never return to Carlow or Ireland when the same skills can be got in the Far East at a fraction of the cost.

Where Carlow has failed is in the back office, service and software industries. With the exception of Unum I can't think of any Financial Services or software companies that have located in the town. Distance from the Airport is an issue for multi-nationals but the big one for me is a lack of decent office space. Braun is only of any use for a warehouse, anything else would cost a fortune to develope as it's age and design are against it. I'd expect Braun to be demolished in the next couple of years. Why would a company spend big money when they can get turn-key properties in the bigger cities and towns.

Carlow needs someone to develop office space.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

Lack of office space is an issue in the town. I always thought Carlow would be a good location for a call centre. Depending on the company they can be a good employer. Would be better than a minimum wage retail job anyway.

I had a look at IAAC there on Facebook. In the group some guy started a thread giving out about double yellow lines on Henry St. Some lad replied blaming the EU for it! Kinda sums up the page.

Moghead wrote: »
    Lack of office space is an issue in the town. I always thought Carlow would be a good location for a call centre. Depending on the company they can be a good employer. Would be better than a minimum wage retail job anyway.

Kilkenny has the likes of the VHI, Naas has one of the big banks, even places like Enniscorthy have large service firms, Carlow has nothing

Padraig Amond has been called up to the provisional Irish squad by Mick McCarthy.

Todays/This years St. Patks. Day Parade in Carlow town has the theme of "Diversity" in it.

Which makes a change from "It's not that bad is it?" or "It's a bit **** isn't it?" and "Is it over yet?" and indeed "Is that all there is to it?".......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Todays/This years St. Patks. Day Parade in Carlow town has the theme of "Diversity" in it.

Which makes a change from "It's not that bad is it?" or "It's a bit **** isn't it?" and "Is it over yet?" and indeed "Is that all there is to it?".......

I think they should have gone for "roughest town in Ireland", what a horrible day it was.

Advertisement