Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

road_high wrote: »
    Think that candidate also moved up from cork- must be the Wallace effect!
    I’d imagine surely if Wallace doesn’t get elected this time there’s no point and she won’t run again after that. With SF on their arse she has a good opening into that anti everything vote.

Ming 'The Merciless' Flanagan must have ran in 10 elections before he got elected.

Never say never. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Has anyone else seen the guy cycling around the town in all the high viz gear.

On the back of his flash jacket it has State Street written on it with council and Garda also there.

What job is he doing?

Saw him today as it happens; not sure what he does but that hi-viz jacket is an unusual mix of "sponsors"; front of it however is Mens Shed logo so maybe they all contribute to running of those groups nationally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Nokia6230i wrote:
    Saw him today as it happens; not sure what he does but that hi-viz jacket is an unusual mix of "sponsors"; front of it however is Mens Shed logo so maybe they all contribute to running of those groups nationally.

I think I was talking to this chap one day as I was heading back from lunch. If it's the same man I think he has special needs a nice chap full of questions about what we were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

So I was told this evening that the cinema at Penneys, I still call it Superquinn, is closing again. Any truth to that or total malarkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

So I was told this evening that the cinema at Penneys, I still call it Superquinn, is closing again. Any truth to that or total malarkey.

I hope not I personally prefer this one over the other one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,600 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see The Med bar is back up for sale again.

That must The the third time in the last year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Did you see it advertised or just looking at signs because one sign has said For sale and the other Sold for the last year or so.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Did you see it advertised or just looking at signs because one sign has said For sale and the other Sold for the last year or so.

The sold sign is now down off it and for sale sign is back up.

Back on market for €700,000; I think it sold the once within past year or so for €660,000.

Spec here > https://www.myhome.ie/commercial/brochure/the-med-bar-restaurant-112-115-tullow-street-carlow-town-carlow/4063490

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Back on market for €700,000; I think it sold the once within past year or so for €660,000.

Spec here > https://www.myhome.ie/commercial/brochure/the-med-bar-restaurant-112-115-tullow-street-carlow-town-carlow/4063490

So annoyed it closed, myself and herself loved to go Brasserie 15 for wine and steak and not pay a fortune. Few drinks in the bar and it was always a good night.

Med bar didn’t close down for the lack of custom, mis-management did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That is really odd. Anyone know what is going on there? Is there a chance LM is looking to get back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

That is really odd. Anyone know what is going on there? Is there a chance LM is looking to get back there.

Doubt it as he's involved in Salt Bar AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Did they take the furniture out of it? I'd swear the tables etc were on display in the last sale ad.

Looks like both buildings have been gutted in those pictures anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

christ - this thread is turning into a bitching thread

Sounds like a very personal legal matter. Not appropriate for sharing on a news site alright. The lady has had difficulties that are her own business

Looking @ them the risk of another incarceration's imminent sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HenryWoods

I've been lurking Boards for years and this thread has been on the go for 10 of them.
    I have mostly read the entire thread.
    Carlow is still as miserable as it ever was.
    I can safely say this, being from Muinebheag and all.

HenryWoods wrote: »
    I've been lurking Boards for years and this thread has been on the go for 10 of them.

I spent nearly 2 years working in Carlow, drove me to an almost depressed state.

Shocking how little investment the place gets, paths are in bits, buildings are dilapidated. There has been next to no town planning, Fairgreen built in isolation to other shops, Tullow St becoming filled with discount shops, bookies and chemists in between all the empty units.

Little to no tourism, no nice hotels, nothing to do in the town other then drink. Few nice restaurants but Road House is the most famous place to eat.

I think there is some hope but it will take investment. The Pennys site must get redeveloped into the proposed shopping centre…it’s highly unlikely at this stage but if it is built the people will come. Think about the next nearest shopping centres, Portlaoise, Newbridge, Waterford. A half decent SC would do wonders for the town.

And before people start moaning about shopping centres killing the high street, the high st is already dead.

All of what you said could easily apply to Bagtown and other small towns in Carlow.
    We could probably write a book about it, but it would be miserable to write and depressing to read.

I spent nearly 2 years working in Carlow, drove me to an almost depressed state.

Shocking how little investment the place gets, paths are in bits, buildings are dilapidated. There has been next to no town planning, Fairgreen built in isolation to other shops, Tullow St becoming filled with discount shops, bookies and chemists in between all the empty units.

Little to no tourism, no nice hotels, nothing to do in the town other then drink. Few nice restaurants but Road House is the most famous place to eat.

I think there is some hope but it will take investment. The Pennys site must get redeveloped into the proposed shopping centre…it’s highly unlikely at this stage but if it is built the people will come. Think about the next nearest shopping centres, Portlaoise, Newbridge, Waterford. A half decent SC would do wonders for the town.

And before people start moaning about shopping centres killing the high street, the high st is already dead.

Take out Carlow there and put in 50 other small towns around the Country and you could be talking about all of them with that post.

• Advertisement

Muinebheag? Yeah, we'll have to knock them ideas out of you; don't be "poshifying" Bagenalstown......

But yeah, Carlow town has some severe limitations to be fair; anytime I'm asked I'll recommend tourists to the N80 and also the south of the county, Altamount Gardens but outside of Oak Pk. Public & Private there's little enough.

Saying Arts Festival is not enough; it's what now, 3-4 days maximum.

Tourists can hit up Museum (2 hours maybe), Courthouse (for photos), Oak Pk. as I said, Town Pk. (bag of yokes and a few cans), Barrow Line/Track North or South but that's going away from the town.

Other than that? IT Carlow if you're a student (and then Tullys/Scraggs/Foundry) and Carlow College for their lovely library & grounds and cricket during Summer.

Summerfest? Meh...

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Muinebheag? Yeah, we'll have to knock them ideas out of you; don't be "poshifying" Bagenalstown......

Aha. There are many here who think that Muinebheag is the Irish translation of Bagenalstown.
    Although I've never heard it called 'Baile Na Bagenal.'

I was in Carlow Town Saturday last, I wasn't shopping, so I had very little to do.

Take out Carlow there and put in 50 other small towns around the Country and you could be talking about all of them with that post.

You say that as if we should throw up our hands like there is no solution.

In any case I dont agree with you, Carlow is a large town (25k ish pop). Athlone is very compariable size wise and I've been there multiple times for weekends away etc, its a destination.

Carlow just seems bereft of investment, planning, anything that might benefit it's future. I mean, The Woodford Dolmen is probably the only have decent hotel in the locality and it's not even that decent or even in the town.

In any case I dont agree with you, Carlow is a large town (25k ish pop). Athlone is very compariable size wise and I've been there multiple times for weekends away etc, its a destination.

Carlow just seems bereft of investment, planning, anything that might benefit it's future. I mean, The Woodford Dolmen is probably the only have decent hotel in the locality and it's not even that decent or even in the town.

I’d rate the dinn ri the talbot and seven oaks over the dolmen.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sonewhat true but definitely not as bleak as all that, Carlow is a strong business town with a lot of strong employers.
    On the restaurants I’m not sure where you’ve been going to but there’s loads of great places to eat. The roadhouse is dire- was in it about ten years ago and never again.
    Fairgreen is as good as the Portlaoise SC except that has an underground car parking. Carlow itself is infinitely better town than Portlaoise which is admittedly is a pretty low bar to set as a comparison

Don’t like Athlone at all it’s a kip but they’ve been making the most of what they’ve got with a couple of good hotels in the town plus activities around the Shannon etc.
    Carlow has a much better streetscape

I’d rate the dinn ri the talbot and seven oaks over the dolmen.

Talbot is the best hotel in Carlow. Seven oaks needs a major refurb, it’s stuck in 1993.
    Dunno what the Clink place is like but the car park doesn’t look very enticing

So apparently there was a Jobs Fair in Fairgreen last Thursday from 10am-5pm..........anyone go?

It was open to public obviously but ordinarily DEASP send out letters to their clients "inviting" them to sign in at or from a particular time like say 12 Noon to 1pm Lunchtime etc.

On this occasion it appears they operated a random selection; not sure what unemployment figures are locally countywide but would guess 3-4,000; surely an SMS to all would've caught everyone and been more economical?

Nothing in todays or last weeks paper about it and nothing on wireless that I picked up either......

I do think it could be hosted elsewhere esp. as it can be assumed a lot there, those "invited" on this occasion by random selection, are unemployed and not everyone wants people to know their business.

Can't see why Texas Warehouse or Talbot Hotel or Seven Oaks etc. couldn't host it; it'd be more discreet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Talbot is the best hotel in Carlow. Seven oaks needs a major refurb, it’s stuck in 1993.
    Dunno what the Clink place is like but the car park doesn’t look very enticing

Great food in The Clink. Cocktails are nice as well.

Advertisement