Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

So while certain businesses remained open in terms of takeaways (D&Gs on Potato Mkt., Subway, Carlow Takeaway on Barrack St., Metro Grill on Tullow St. & Billy Bunters on Staplestown Rd. are the ones I can think of r/n) others've now decided to do same; La Boheme from their social media page indicated they reopened on Friday the 3rd of April; Mimosa're reopening this Wednesday & Yummy Noodles've reopened tonight.

Mimosas previously opened from 5-9 Wednesday the 25th of March to Saturday the 28th of March respectively & the cars were lined up on both sides of the street all the way down to La Boheme each night.....strange they then decided to close following the announcement that weekend and've now decided to reopen under same circumstances......

Same/similar for Yummy Noodles/La Boheme and any others reopening for takeaway only.

Looking @ Mimosas page tonight people're lapping it up & they'll be out the door from Wednesday.

Yet nothing's changed in interim in terms of guidelines, advice from HSE/Govt. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I went down to Mimosa for a takeaway the Friday night it was open. 3 cars parked outside including mine and that was at 7ish so a busy period. Much smaller menu than normal, i'd say only 8 or so options. Around 4 people inside waiting for food, all of us well spread out. Food was brought from kitchen and left on a table, paid via card online and got a text to come down and collect. The guy waiting inside and getting orders ready wiped down the counter, door handle and table the food was left on anytime someone came in or took their food and left. While I was there the phone was ringing constantly even though you had to order online, the guy said they had to stop taking orders for the night as they couldn't fulfill them due to skeleton staff and stock. Couldn't really fault them in terms of adhering to the guidelines, certainly seemed more organised than i've seen Luigis and Billy Bunters were. They're just down the road from me and anytime i've passed in the last few weeks have been busy in the evenings at least.

I think the reason Mimosa closed is they were unsure on the Friday what the new restrictions were, as were many other businesses like them. I assume they are better prepared in terms of stock and staffing for the rush they're likely to have this weekend so are re-opening. I'm glad they are, people need to be able to treat themselves and things are grim enough. I'd much rather a mimosa than a chipper and La Boheme is terrible in comparison, its basically chipper food in tapas portions, do not understand its appeal.

I went down to Mimosa for a takeaway the Friday night it was open. 3 cars parked outside including mine and that was at 7ish so a busy period. Much smaller menu than normal, i'd say only 8 or so options. Around 4 people inside waiting for food, all of us well spread out. Food was brought from kitchen and left on a table, paid via card online and got a text to come down and collect. The guy waiting inside and getting orders ready wiped down the counter, door handle and table the food was left on anytime someone came in or took their food and left. While I was there the phone was ringing constantly even though you had to order online, the guy said they had to stop taking orders for the night as they couldn't fulfill them due to skeleton staff and stock. Couldn't really fault them in terms of adhering to the guidelines, certainly seemed more organised than i've seen Luigis and Billy Bunters were. They're just down the road from me and anytime i've passed in the last few weeks have been busy in the evenings at least.

I think the reason Mimosa closed is they were unsure on the Friday what the new restrictions were, as were many other businesses like them. I assume they are better prepared in terms of stock and staffing for the rush they're likely to have this weekend so are re-opening. I'm glad they are, people need to be able to treat themselves and things are grim enough. I'd much rather a mimosa than a chipper and La Boheme is terrible in comparison, its basically chipper food in tapas portions, do not understand its appeal.

Fair point esp. the bit in bold; using that logic & that argument I'm surprised others haven't, so far, taken the plunge; thinking of the various pubs that do food for example, the Bake Cafe on Tullow St., Bea Nice etc.

This might be the start of something in terms of reopening & some premises, like hotels, might have a second look in terms of what they can & can't do on the accommodation or culinary side of things.

The main problem is that it was all advice & guidelines etc.; no prohibition orders were made & some just closed because they simply couldn't run a premises doing social distancing (Foundry for example); the grey areas've left a lot in limbo.

I guess the issue will be how lax will the various premises become in terms of social distancing even when they're all only doing takeaway.

I'd still be shockd if Scraggs/Tullys reopened in any shape (though Scraggs isn't a food pub to be fair) or any other pub in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Subway closed last week and has not reopened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Fair point esp. the bit in bold; using that logic & that argument I'm surprised others haven't, so far, taken the plunge; thinking of the various pubs that do food for example, the Bake Cafe on Tullow St., Bea Nice etc.

This might be the start of something in terms of reopening & some premises, like hotels, might have a second look in terms of what they can & can't do on the accommodation or culinary side of things.

The main problem is that it was all advice & guidelines etc.; no prohibition orders were made & some just closed because they simply couldn't run a premises doing social distancing (Foundry for example); the grey areas've left a lot in limbo.

I guess the issue will be how lax will the various premises become in terms of social distancing even when they're all only doing takeaway.

I'd still be shockd if Scraggs/Tullys reopened in any shape (though Scraggs isn't a food pub to be fair) or any other pub in the town.

Any pub that attempts to re-open will be received extremely negatively unless its to do takeaway service like the others are doing. I don't foresee any pub re-opening in any capacity until they are all advised to. The Vintners are fully behind the governments decision and it would be commercial suicide in the long run for a pub to re-open now. Look at all the negative publicity those few pubs in Cork and Limerick got a while back when they were still letting lads in the side doors. Not worth the risk.

Tullys is a drinking pub first and foremost, the lunches and sandwiches are just a small part. I could see Dinn Ri maybe opening its carvery menu for takeway but doubt that would be commercially viable to be honest. Brooks is doing a takeaway menu so i expect will be the extent of that premises opening.

I do think some smaller places may re-open, think Lennons might possibly look at re-opening for takeaway food soon. We've not got Pimento, Lemongrass, Mimosa and La Boheme open and doing takeaways so a bit of choice there at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 SeanKeat

Hi,
    Does anyone have a list of what's now opened for takeaways since the new regulations were brought in Tuesday night.
    Have tried a few, Mimosa, Weeping Thaiger. No phones being answered Wednesday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Mimosa is open from 5. Online orders only https://my.flipdish.com/mimosabardetapas

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Brooks open for takeaways as well. https://www.dinnri.com/index.php/food-to-go-menus/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

D_BEAR wrote: »
    Mimosa is open from 5. Online orders only https://my.flipdish.com/mimosabardetapas

Ordered from them last night, they've a great system going. You pick the time you roughly want to collect, they send you a text 10 minutes before it's ready. Was in and out in 10 seconds, no other customers there at the time.

• Advertisement

Thanks again. Sick of cooking at home now... will be a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

Smoque also doing delivery in Carlow town. More details on their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/smoquecarlow/

Thanks for the info, appreciate the inputs.
    Household is getting tired of my cooking...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

Lemongrass also open for takeaways

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Can't get over the number of people out and about around the town today, definitely the busiest I've seen it since the restrictions were introduced.

Dominos's re-opened too. Dinn Ri're doing carvery via Brooks (only I think). La Bohemes Takeaway options seem to be a Friday & Saturday, maybe Sunday thing unless I'm reading their social media wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Cw85 wrote: »
    Can't get over the number of people out and about around the town today, definitely the busiest I've seen it since the restrictions were introduced.

Interesting. Drove through Carlow town today (don’t know the road name but passed by Mcdonalds with the fountain on the left hand side then up Barracks street) and the good lady wife remarked it was almost as busy as a “normal day” before this curse of a virus.

I don’t know what to say - do Carlow ppl feel the worst has passed/won’t affect them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

Interesting. Drove through Carlow town today (don’t know the road name but passed by Mcdonalds with the fountain on the left hand side then up Barracks street) and the good lady wife remarked it was almost as busy as a “normal day” before this curse of a virus.

I don’t know what to say - do Carlow ppl feel the worst has passed/won’t affect them?

Really? I parked in the Dinn Ri carpark at the fountain at 4pm today to pickup a takeaway from the Lemongrass. The area was empty. It was nothing like a normal day in the town.

Carlow County residents are doing better than most neighbouring counties for infections.

Carlow - 1.18% of Ireland population - 0.3% of Ireland infections
    Kilkenny - 2% of Ireland population - 1.4% of Ireland infections
    Laois - 1.71% of Ireland population - 0.7% of Ireland infections
    Kildare - 4.54% of Ireland population - 4.1% of Ireland infections
    Dublin - 26.5% of Ireland population - 54% of Ireland infections

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Death rates per million of population Ireland 65

Still very high here.

Ireland is ranked 13th highest deaths in the world by million people.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Really? I parked in the Dinn Ri carpark at the fountain at 4pm today to pickup a takeaway from the Lemongrass. The area was empty. It was nothing like a normal day in the town.

Carlow County residents are doing better than most neighbouring counties for infections.

Carlow - 1.18% of Ireland population - 0.3% of Ireland infections
    Kilkenny - 2% of Ireland population - 1.4% of Ireland infections
    Laois - 1.71% of Ireland population - 0.7% of Ireland infections
    Kildare - 4.54% of Ireland population - 4.1% of Ireland infections
    Dublin - 26.5% of Ireland population - 54% of Ireland infections

Those figures are a load of bollix due to the lack of testing/delay in results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Those figures are a load of bollix due to the lack of testing/delay in results.

Every county is impacted by testing delays. You think the delays are localised to Carlow lol?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the way counties are marked many carolivians could be marked as kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Two healthcare workers from St Lukes have died from Covid-19, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Nickyc1

Anyone have a name for someone who does patio paving at a reasonable cost locally ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭HanFiredFirst

I was out for my walk today and the amount of PPE gear gloves and masks just discarded on the paths and roads all over the town is disgraceful, I also noticed and increased about of dog crap on paths as well some people just have no respect for the rest of mankind at all.

Anyone at ALDI Saturday afternoon/evening? Can't remember specific time r/n but there was a bit of a set-to between the security guard there & one of the towns "characters"; he'd seemingly nicked a bottle of Coca Cola & was challenged & him & security got some digs/slaps in before he moved off.

His Misssus was in line in another queue as it happens too; she paid for the items in her hand......

No Gda. were called which was unusual; the couple "live" across the road in the squat on Kennedy Ave.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

I was out for my walk today and the amount of PPE gear gloves and masks just discarded on the paths and roads all over the town is disgraceful, I also noticed and increased about of dog crap on paths as well some people just have no respect for the rest of mankind at all.

agree with the amounts of gloves and masks. The Nationalist reports residents on Green Lane have been complaining about the petrol station there and gloves blowing around from people using them when filling their car .

However it staggers me to see the amount of people not knowing how to use PPE. Queuing outside Supervalue on Saturday I must have counted 3 or 4 people who took off one glove, then used their bare hand to take off the 2nd glove and then pulled down a mask with their bare hand also, If there was any CD19 on any of these, their bare hand was now covered in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Anyone at ALDI Saturday afternoon/evening? Can't remember specific time r/n but there was a bit of a set-to between the security guard there & one of the towns "characters"; he'd seemingly nicked a bottle of Coca Cola & was challenged & him & security got some digs/slaps in before he moved off.

His Misssus was in line in another queue as it happens too; she paid for the items in her hand......

No Gda. were called which was unusual; the couple "live" across the road in the squat on Kennedy Ave.

Which security guard was it?

FHFM50 wrote: »
    Which security guard was it?

Usual lad that's there; Nigerian guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭HanFiredFirst

Wasn't that squat knocked down last year there is not many places left to squat around there now. Still a load of lads tapping around at the garages and supermarkets just wearing gloves and masks none of them homeless either.

Advertisement