Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Wasn't that squat knocked down last year there is not many places left to squat around there now. Still a load of lads tapping around at the garages and supermarkets just wearing gloves and masks none of them homeless either.

Nope; this is the one which is owned by Carlow Estates & secured PP for student accommodation on site in 2019; Walshes Yard is official title I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭HanFiredFirst

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Nope; this is the one which is owned by Carlow Estates & secured PP for student accommodation on site in 2019; Walshes Yard is official title I think.

That is the place I was thinking about alright and was pretty sure the old cottage in there was knocked down last year so there is actually no building on the site now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭HanFiredFirst

A couple of Carlows finest joining John Walters and Gemma O'Doherty outside the high courts today challenging the Covid-19 laws all hugging it out and not caring about the health and well being of every other citizen of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ManFromCarlow

Hi does anyone know a garage open for a call out my car will not start the battery looks dead. It will not jump from a jumper battery or another car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Hi does anyone know a garage open for a call out my car will not start the battery looks dead. It will not jump from a jumper battery or another car.

Mb recovery in town will sort you out.

• Advertisement

iano.p wrote: »
    Mb recovery in town will sort you out.

Cheers I'll give them a call.

Cheers I'll give them a call.

I can pm you the number of needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'll second MB Recovery he sorted me out in seconds today.

iano.p wrote: »
    I can pm you the number of needed.

Cheers again I found them there on Facebook and I'll give them a call.

A couple of Carlows finest joining John Walters and Gemma O'Doherty outside the high courts today challenging the Covid-19 laws all hugging it out and not caring about the health and well being of every other citizen of Ireland.

One of them has GOT to be initialled AR surely?

Not a Scooby Doo who others might be though apart from one with initials DO'C perhaps?

Other than that I've no clue.

• Advertisement

The "Road to Nowhere"; at least that's what I think it's called anyway......what's its current status?

The one I'm referring to is down by Eire Og; the River Burrin on R.H.S. with Linear Walk to L.H.S. & John Sweeney/the Laurels/Willow Pk. further up that way too.

Was down that way today & there's a barrier erected; a mound of clay & then you're on a road; is there an exit out to somewhere down at the end?

What road does it lead out onto? Blackbog Road maybe?

Why's it never been completed?

Strikes me as a type of No Go area at night & if I was Gda. Siochana I'd be tearing my hair out at not being able go any further by car down than the bollards that lead into a development on R.H.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

No exit at the end, big gates/railing once you walk down it to the very end.

I've walked it during the day, its quiet then as it borders on farmland. There are some horses being kept down there at one side and there was a homeless guy in a tent but not sure if he is still there. Clearly some activity of a night with the remains of bonfires on part of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

So what's Woodies like this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 GreenRdBoy

About 9.30 there was a queue of around 20 at Woodies. Hopefully things will be calm during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Could do with getting a few bits in Woodies but I'll be avoiding it for the next while until the novelty wears off.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Could do with getting a few bits in Woodies but I'll be avoiding it for the next while until the novelty wears off.

Queue again there today but I went to Declan Byrnes on Sleaty Road in Graiguecullen. Nice and quiet and I got all I wanted. He used to do wood and timber only but has small hardware as well as timber yard

I know Elverys, JD Sports & Brand Max/USC (formerly Heatons) are shut but is there anywhere else I could get a decent pair of runner/sneakers/trainers?

Even a €20 or similarly priced pair'd get me by til whenever they open; been pounding the streets for last two months but footwear is unsuitable; even a shoe shop'd be fine right now; amazing the things you miss when you need them.

May well end up in Woodies or Dempseys to get a pair of work shoes; am wearing the ones I have down; it's like being out canvassing for a General Election.

Loathe to go online as I'm fat/flat footed & prefer to try before I buy for comfort/length too but willing to change my mind if no other options at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭natc

I know Elverys, JD Sports & Brand Max/USC (formerly Heatons) are shut but is there anywhere else I could get a decent pair of runner/sneakers/trainers?

Even a €20 or similarly priced pair'd get me by til whenever they open; been pounding the streets for last two months but footwear is unsuitable; even a shoe shop'd be fine right now; amazing the things you miss when you need them.

May well end up in Woodies or Dempseys to get a pair of work shoes; am wearing the ones I have down; it's like being out canvassing for a General Election.

Loathe to go online as I'm fat/flat footed & prefer to try before I buy for comfort/length too but willing to change my mind if no other options at this time.

Only place I can think of is Dunnes at the moment. Not sure if they do runners but it’s probably your best bet right now if you want to try before you buy. I’ve ordered footwear from Elverys online recently and was only waiting a couple of days for delivery. They have a quick turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Sketchers are doing a 25% off sale at the moment so have a google of their site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Great to see Lidl got the go ahead to build in Bagenalstown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

natc wrote: »
    Only place I can think of is Dunnes at the moment. Not sure if they do runners but it’s probably your best bet right now if you want to try before you buy. I’ve ordered footwear from Elverys online recently and was only waiting a couple of days for delivery. They have a quick turnaround.

Dunnes do runners. Not the best but the for the moment they're grand. Decent price as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

going mad for a game of golf to get out of the house, now that im not commuting I can get out for a round in the evening.

You need to be a member in Carlow? Is the 9 hole deerpark open to the public? Killerig is also members owned so non members not allowed but it slightly outside the 5km limit.

Quinnagh par 3 is perhaps I could get a game there anywhere else?
    tks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

going mad for a game of golf to get out of the house, now that im not commuting I can get out for a round in the evening.

You need to be a member in Carlow? Is the 9 hole deerpark open to the public? Killerig is also members owned so non members not allowed but it slightly outside the 5km limit.

tks

nine hole in deerpark would be your best bet. It's a very casual set up and a decent trip around, should be all the better for not being abused the last couple of months.

tks

Killerig closed about 6 months ago bur Quinagh open. It's only available if pre-booked via email.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

thanks, i like quinnagh its a nice course and the owners are friendly- re deerpark do you just turn up at the back car park and pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

thanks, i like quinnagh its a nice course and the owners are friendly- re deerpark do you just turn up at the back car park and pay?

Yes that's how it used to be during working hours. If no ones at the shed you're supposed to go around to the clubhouse and pay but I usually just put the money in an envelope and put it under the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Quinnagh par 3 is perhaps I could get a game there anywhere else? tks

If you ever fancy a round then gimme a shout.. My usual playing partner is out with a bad back and I miss playing a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

Folks

Would anyone know anywhere around town where you might get thin lengths of steel rod say 6mm thick around 2metres long?? tried phoning the usual suspect like doyles etc but no joy...cheers

celticsfan wrote: »
    Folks

Would anyone know anywhere around town where you might get thin lengths of steel rod say 6mm thick around 2metres long?? tried phoning the usual suspect like doyles etc but no joy...cheers

Try Stuart Bailey out the portlaoise road.

• Advertisement

Was in Homestore & Woodies today; Homestore're not allowed sell homewares such as bed linen, cuplery, delph/delf etc & have these areas cordoned off within the store; down the end of Hanover Pk. Woodies had no such cordons around their cups/plates etc. and although I wasn't in either for such items I'd imagine they could be purchased no problem; bit of an anomaly in the different phases in this regard perhaps?

Queuing system for both and Right Price Tiles was moving along nicely I felt; the Tesco queue today was quite lengthy but with social distancing it may well've looked worse than it actually was.

Social distancing & queuing might be grand in todays fine weather but there'll be many a grumble at Fairgreen when it starts spilling rain like it did Friday evening or begins to turn cooler in the Autumn.

For what it's worth Bookstation on Tullow St. reopens this Monday morning the 25th of May @ 9am and, I think Halfords might be too?

Tailors such as Alan Cashin on College St. & the one on Charlotte St.'re due to reopen on Monday the 8th of June.

Coleman Cycles're back but with no Mondays for now; Tuesdays to Saturdays 10am-5:30pm; ring ahead or PM the page to arrange a time to drop off or collect; he got me out of a hole yesterday (again!) with my bike chain having become rammed in where pedal is & I will continue to go to him for's long's he's there; Halfords might have the size to browse but Walter is always there unlike Halfords bike mechanices (in my experience).

Advertisement