Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I did and Shaws both had really soft pillows not a good firm support one.

I'm up in Dublin on Saturday and I have a look when up there.

Try Arnotts when you are up. Very top floor you might find one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

Allens too is worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I got very comfy pillows in Woodies. In a big box in opposite the tills.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Found just what I was looking for in Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Anyone know of any 1 or 2 Bed Flats to let please let me know; the ones on DAFT're out of my price range sadly; would take an annex or Granny Flat; budget'd be about 580 currently (with Rent Allowance) & HAP is a given; can raise 1st Months Rent + Deposit no problem & have good references.

Don't drive, no pets, don't smoke/drink/do drugs; lead a fairly boring life & so longs've I've internet & can use the oven etc. I'm happy enough.

• Advertisement

Signs're on it, or off it as the case may be, that Mr. Snips on Barrack St. has shut up shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Signs're on it, or off it as the case may be, that Mr. Snips on Barrack St. has shut up shop.

It was put up for sale on Facebook page about a month ago.

"FOR SALE: Mr Snips Barber Shop.
    Spacious 3 station barber shop, in business 8 years in Carlow town. All fittings included.
    PM if interested. Serious enquiries only."

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

anyone got any idea why the Garda helecoptor seemed to be doing laps of the town this morning?

Unsure if any plans for the site but the overgrowth/scrubland that borders the Barrow track/boardwalk & is part of Blue Nuns/Sacred Heart Nursing Home is being/has been somewhat cleared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

Unsure if any plans for the site but the overgrowth/scrubland that borders the Barrow track/boardwalk & is part of Blue Nuns/Sacred Heart Nursing Home is being/has been somewhat cleared.

I was curious about that place a while ago and did a folio search to see who bought it when it went up for auction. It was bought by a pair of nordie property developers. They were around during the celtic tiger and built some sh*te apartments in Dundalk that needed remediation works. Anytime I hear of any nordie developers I shudder at the thought... ours were bad enough but those crooks from across the border gave us Priory Hall.

Anyway, the council seem to have made a balls of putting that site on the vacant site register and I think the developer won his appeal. Its up on the pleanala website. I won't be holding my breath waiting for something to happen there.

This crowd own the site, I believe.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dundalk-residents-face-eviction-on-fire-safety-grounds-1.2629953

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=ScallionAyter;114119872

Anyway, the council seem to have made a balls of putting that site on the vacant site register and I think the developer won his appeal. Its up on the pleanala website. I won't be holding my breath waiting for something to happen there.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dundalk-residents-face-eviction-on-fire-safety-grounds-1.2629953[/QUOTE]

That, the bit in bold. Stands to reason that by clearing the site it counts in planning law that there's been work done on it to avoid being added to said register if the council get their ducks in a row?

Site out on Kilkenny Rd. opposite Dolmen might also come under similar if construction doesn't begin properly again on it; I know some ground works were done & foundations laid but both P.P. & Derelict Sites Orders could both be extended & avoided respectively if some noticeable work is done there; wall of bricks might even suffice legally.

As an aside No. 1 Haymarket is either to go on DSO list or be taken into charge by the council; saw a notice re same in the paper on Tuesday & also it's on the black hoarding in addition to previous orders.

I was curious about that place a while ago and did a folio search to see who bought it when it went up for auction. It was bought by a pair of nordie property developers. They were around during the celtic tiger and built some sh*te apartments in Dundalk that needed remediation works. Anytime I hear of any nordie developers I shudder at the thought... ours were bad enough but those crooks from across the border gave us Priory Hall.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dundalk-residents-face-eviction-on-fire-safety-grounds-1.2629953

Planning permission on the Nationalist this week for 78 appartments including a 6 story block on Montgomory Street, is that the same one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Planning permission on the Nationalist this week for 78 appartments including a 6 story block on Montgomory Street, is that the same one?

Have you a link to the planning application? I'll be raising a complaint. That area is already ridiculously over developed another high-rise flat complex is not the way forward.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Have you a link to the planning application? I'll be raising a complaint. That area is already ridiculously over developed another high-rise flat complex is not the way forward.

Is that not the Athy Rd. site @ Tanner Hall no? South East Builders Ltd.'ve PP gone in for there recently.

afraid not, spotted it in this weeks Nationalist

afraid not, spotted it in this weeks Nationalist

Just saw the sign this evening as I was passing; place was an abbatoir/Dept. of Ag. site & is currently occupied by a few caravans.

Derek Devoy Ltd. is developer seeking PP for 78 Apts. on site.

Baffled as to why he never (and it's 2-3 years since that site sold I think?) secured the place.

Edited to add it hasn't gone live on Carlow Co. Co. site yet.

Just saw the sign this evening as I was passing; place was an abbatoir/Dept. of Ag. site & is currently occupied by a few caravans.

Derek Devoy Ltd. is developer seeking PP for 78 Apts. on site.

Baffled as to why he never (and it's 2-3 years since that site sold I think?) secured the place.

Edited to add it hasn't gone live on Carlow Co. Co. site yet.

I don't see it on the eplanning page. Do you have an application number? I may spin down there tomorrow and take a pic of the planning app.

Is this the site across from the old Celtic Linen site?

Is the site big enough for 78 Apartments if it is they will be tiny one beds and god help anyone squashed into them.

I don't see it on the eplanning page. Do you have an application number? I may spin down there tomorrow and take a pic of the planning app.

No app. number in the PP in the paper (nor is there for Play Together which also has PP in for their Athy Rd. site).

Highlights include it's to be divided up into 3 Blocks (Units A, B & C) ranging in height from 4-6 Storeys.

Intermediate public spaces between each block & associated landscaping link the communal amenity spaces of the site to the Barrow Track (guessing this will mean an exit onto and maybe communcal entry from the Barrow Track too?).

38 Car Parking Spaces to be included to rear/NW of the site bordering Hazel Ct. Apts. which're to be screened off from same with a boundary wall & trees.

Provision also for 40 Bicycle parking spaces distributed around the site.

Block A to the south has a gross internal floor space of 2,040 Sq. Metres & is comprised of 3 1 Bed Units, 16 2 Bed Units & 2 x 3 Bedroom Units = 21 Units.

Block A will also include ancillary circulation & plant room & ranges in height from 4-5 Storeys.

Block B is middle of site & has an internal GF space of 2,589 Sq. Metres. & is 3 x 1 Bed Units, 22 x 2 Beds & 2 x 3 Beds; a total of 27 Units....

This will be 6 Storeys high.

Block C is to the North of the site (bordering the car park I imagine?) & has an internal GF space of 2,842 Sq. Metres. 8 x 1 Beds, 22 x 2 Beds with **NO** 3 Beds so a total of 30 Apts. for that block with ancillary circulation & plant room spaces & ranges in height from 4-6 Storeys.

Is this the site across from the old Celtic Linen site?

Is the site big enough for 78 Apartments if it is they will be tiny one beds and god help anyone squashed into them.

See my post above but also to add this there was a Celtic Linen site development planned & okayed in 2010 from a different developer which never proceeded; I presume PP lapses after 5 years if no activity on site?

http://www.eplanning.ie/CarlowCC/AppFileRefDetails/096247/0

"38 No. apartments with a 2,030m2 medical centre, 698m2 convenience retailing and 131 basement car spaces. The building varies in height from 3 to 5 storeys over basement with landscaped plazas and associated works."

• Advertisement

Ridiculous putting these high rises there. They inevitably end up in disrepair as can be seen by pretty much all the apartment blocks in the local area.

There's several applications on that larger site that is being cleared among them a hotel and supermarket. I don't see any recent applications but it may not be up to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

Not sure really. I dont think it's the same site. This is the one I'm referring to.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/carlow-town-site-on-river-barrow-sells-for-1-3m-1.3298509?mode=amp

The area I shaded in blue is the one I'm thinking of.

The big one ringed in red was due to have a hotel put in there if I remember correctly and the reason the council compulsory bought up land to put in the road.
    lz3i5et.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Is that the old Greenvale Pork & bacon site?
    The area I shaded in blue is the one I'm thinking of.

The big one ringed in red was due to have a hotel put in there if I remember correctly and the reason the council compulsory bought up land to put in the road.
    lz3i5et.jpg

denis160 wrote: »
    Is that the old Greenvale Pork & bacon site?

Correct; the Greenvale Pork & Bacon site is the one in green; I had it that was Dept. of Ag. or an abbatoir til these past few posts........

Cue Mr. Devoy having to bribe current occupants off the site me thinks.......?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

There isn't enough apartments in town as it is, and very few that are built to modern standards. If they are built well I'd much rather live there than in a 1 off house in the country. We need to be encouraging people to live in the town and developments like this are part of the solution to our dying town.

There isn't enough apartments in town as it is, and very few that are built to modern standards. If they are built well I'd much rather live there than in a 1 off house in the country. We need to be encouraging people to live in the town and developments like this are part of the solution to our dying town.

Apartments are the solution. How?

Montgomory Street is a haven for drug use & dealing throwing in another 78 apartments just continues to turn that area it into a Ballymun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Apartments are a good thing to have in general but I can't see the point in building more when the ones thst are there are falling into disrepair.

• Advertisement

Montgomory Street is a haven for drug use & dealing throwing in another 78 apartments just continues to turn that area it into a Ballymun.

I see they finally knocked that outhouse on the other site for sale. They have been shooting up in their for months.

It would be great to see the original plans for a hotel and plaza etc go in down there but apartments are certainly not required. The area is already over developed as it is. It would be nice to have seen a skate/bmx park go into a part of that larger site they're clearing.

Advertisement