Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Rathvilly Gaa closed diwn today due to number of local cases. Anybody got any idea how many there are?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

racso1975 wrote: »
    Rathvilly Gaa closed diwn today due to number of local cases. Anybody got any idea how many there are?

I saw on the nationalist online there was 4 in Carlow, where I don't know

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

6 more today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Page 12 of todays Carlow Nationalist features an interesting clarification on a court case; the defendant had actually wished to clarify the fact he didn't actually plead guilty to keying his ex-partners car; the paper'd reported he had pleaded guilty.

"You the lad who keyed your exes car?" "Well I was convicted of it but I didn't actually plead guilty...."

Baffling to've sought such clarification I would've thought?

Whatever about yesterdays paper being tomorrows fish & chip paper, last weeks paper is recycling by now & the court case would've been forgotten by majority of people a week later.

Save this news report; I think it's the first and only time, Oireachtas TV excepted, we'll see our local TD on national television; looking back on the candidates for the General Election from this side of the constituency it really was a Hobsons Choice; a glorified Cllr. is what our current TD is & that's being generous > https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2020/0811/1158652-coronavirus-restrictions-midlands/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Electing people based on their location within a constituency isn't how politics should be conducted.

Electing people based on their location within a constituency isn't how politics should be conducted.

I didn't vote for our local TD; she's the ubiquotous (sp?) Parish Pump Politician; full of hot air & waffle.

If you thought Pat Deering was bad etc.......

I Voted Malcolm Noonan 1 based on his party & his politics & his active campaigning on various issues locally & nationally over the years since before he became a Cllr. in 2004; I also voted John Paul Phelan & I think that was it.

Fact neither're Carlow based didn't enter into equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

In fairness, she raised a valid point about a "buffer zone", It's bonkers that the Talbot is in lockdown and Aldi in Gragiue can operate as normal since it's in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭votecounts

In fairness, she raised a valid point about a "buffer zone", It's bonkers that the Talbot is in lockdown and Aldi in Gragiue can operate as normal since it's in Carlow.
    aldi has been open all along as it provides an essential service as does Dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

6 more cases in Carlow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭fits

And more on the way.

Anyone know a locksmiths who might like a nixer? Bought a Yale 5 Lever Deadlock for €32.99 & am being quoted €60-€80 to fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Anyone know a locksmiths who might like a nixer? Bought a Yale 5 Lever Deadlock for €32.99 & am being quoted €60-€80 to fit.

Give Coakley glass a ring. Declan is the lad he is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Graigue bridge

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

iano.p wrote: »
    Give Coakley glass a ring. Declan is the lad he is very good
    He did a job for us this week and I'd definitely recommend him too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

Just wondering about the Technological University thing. Will certain courses in Carlow disappear down to Waterford after the merger? i.e Software courses?

Is there a risk that Carlow will get a bunch of ****ty courses and give away the computing, science and engineering courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Hey lads, I'm looking to get a skip in save me searching any idea of the cheapest deals in town?

The only ones I know of are O'Tooles and Ray Kavanagh

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Hey lads, I'm looking to get a skip in save me searching any idea of the cheapest deals in town?

The only ones I know of are O'Tooles and Ray Kavanagh

Ray Whelan and O Tooles as far as I can remember are around the same price. The small one is around 100 the big one I think is 250.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

Just wondering about the Technological University thing. Will certain courses in Carlow disappear down to Waterford after the merger? i.e Software courses?

Is there a risk that Carlow will get a bunch of ****ty courses and give away the computing, science and engineering courses?

on the basis of the announcement this week of new STEM buildings (not sure if it was a rehash of an old announcement) then the answer is probably no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

on the basis of the announcement this week of new STEM buildings (not sure if it was a rehash of an old announcement) then the answer is probably no.

That's the announcement that originally prompted my question. The new building is mainly for health sciences, I think. But Waterford IT have also announced a new building for Computer Science and Engineering that's twice the size of the new Carlow building.

• Advertisement

I have a feeling Carlow is going to get the raw end of the deal here and have for a long time. Carlow has worked hard to be where they are and this deal could undermine that. I would be surprised if Carlow keeps the engineering courses at all. We would be better staying as we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭votecounts

anyone know of specials these days in pubs. a burger and a pint, etc
    looking for somewhere on sat
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks like Burger King is gone.

There is a sign up saying new Business coming soon from Applegreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

They weren't in a good location anyway.

And with college being mostly online this year the sales would have dropped substantially.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

FHFM50 wrote: »
    They weren't in a good location anyway.

And with college being mostly online this year the sales would have dropped substantially.

It didn't look very appealing from the outside. When passing, you'd wonder if it was actually open it's so dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

I had BK last week it wasn't up to it's usual standard IMO

Sad to say I have never been in burger king Carlow, if I was away somewhere I would pick it over any other but the one in here I always forget about.

Can't imagine Tyndall College & CIFET relocating out the road would've helped BK; recall in a Sth. Co. Kilkenny Village I attended Secondary School in & the £1 School Specials kept the thing going; school shut & it closed along with a sweet shop right beside it.

Always felt walking into it that the amount of soil required to bring the foundations to right level so as not to injure (?) the nearby properties in terms of height must've been a fair amount.

The ITs Main Restaurant/Cafe shuts around 2:30pm so they would've had some benefit from that subsequently but with the current situation of how many'll be on campus how often/what hours being unknown this didn't help BK locally.

As an aside New York Pizza opening on Kennedy Ave. in the unit on L.H.S. as you go down into Mr. Price/Kellys Pharmacy/McDonalds; they're due to open in September; last unit there was a coffee shop I think? Can't remember was it a brand/franchise but it's vacant quite a few years now.

D&Gs is opening under new management soon; the new management is Cafe Roma owner; been a fan of Cafe Roma since it reopened so will be getting into D+Gs when it gets going again.

On a different note you could win €100 if you fill out this Carlow Town Parking Technology Survey > https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5LY7J9B?fbclid=IwAR2BQzILu2ntJrY6CT4XcI7qYKpiQeQy12zPq98K6biFMrpJJYXXwmZW3w4

Option 6 asks to list preferences in terms of how to pay; I put coins in at 4 because amount of eh, "characters" approaching looking for €1 in such circumstances might be reduced........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    last unit there was a coffee shop I think? Can't remember was it a brand/franchise but it's vacant quite a few years now.

I recall a Bagel Factory franchise in there at one point I always thought it was a bit above it's station for Carlow which is sad but true for a town that does little to entice the mammy brigade and an actual shopping centre.

Fair enough I get the arguement that a shopping centre kills off the town feel but for christs sake I wish they'd do something to enhance the town feel if they're so set against a shopping centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Scrapping the MyCarlow plan was idiotic

Advertisement