Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

fits wrote: »
    Thats not really fair.

Why is it not fair to ask questions? What a strangely subservient attitude.

He's brand ambassador for Dacia but he doesnt get reduced rates elsewhere.

You seem to have a unique skill of knowing the answer to questions without ever needing to ask in the first place.
    If he did Im 100% sure he would be open about it.

Now contradicting yourself.
    I've really enjoyed the posts about his travels. He was in Kerry the week after we were and the weather was amazing, lucky sod.

I don't enjoy posts about non-weather stuff. That's the point. I have zero interest in two separate posts plugging an overpriced Celtic tiger hotel in Waterford. No interest whatsoever. Nothing to do with begrudgery. If Evelyn Cusack finished her weather report with a glowing recommendation for Ballyfin Demense in Laois i'd find it equally strange.

Yes, i'm free to ignore the the CW page, just as CW is free to turn his subscribers off his service with plugs for 5 star hotels in other Counties. It's a judgement call - on both sides.
    Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Three, more power to him if brands, shops, companies do reach out to him to utilise his & his partners network & reach for their own ends; to me neither he, they (as a couple) or the brands etc.'re doing anything wrong.

Nah, don't agree with that glowing sentiment about social media influencers at all. We get bombared with enough adverts and product placement throughout the day without stealth advertising wrapped up as innocuous, matter-of-fact blogging. It's right down there with sponsored rankings on Amazon. It erodes trust and damages your brand for short term gain.

Anyway, it looks like CW has answered the same query from some other poor soul on twitter who had the audacity to ask, and was quickly labelled a troll :confused: so that's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

Villain wrote: »
    Well it was more the account I was referring to and I'm not sure how you came to think because I don't.

I also offer a completely free service that people can easily ignore :)

I like your weather reports and how you pitch the possibility of some weather event coming which is very useful to us involved in farming and not something Met Eireann could do given their remit . What you do is very helpful to us when it comes to making harvesting decisions .
    I was harvesting Monday night and I had my phone with the Met Rainfall Radar map and I could see the rain coming in and I went up the field and next thing the windscreen and lights got covered in flies which is always a sign that the rain is a few minutes away .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Sth. Leinster Citizens Information Centre've PP gone in for change of use for from retail to retail to commercial in the unit opp. Paul Whites Chemist & in between it & Dealz; it was formerly a Carlow College information hub & has hosted the annual Lions Club book sale up til this year > http://www.eplanning.ie/CarlowCC/AppFileRefDetails/20292/0

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yes, i'm free to ignore the the CW page, just as CW is free to turn his subscribers off his service with plugs for 5 star hotels in other Counties. It's a judgement call - on both sides.

Exert your judgement so. But there’s no need to be directing unfounded accusations at CW. And they do stink of begrudgery by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

Exert your judgement so. But there’s no need to be directing unfounded accusations at CW. And they do stink of begrudgery by the way.

You have very low expectations if you think a stay in a hotel 100km down the road is something to be jealous about.

The accusation was not unfounded at all. He's driving a branded car, was very quick to setup a gofundme for his crashed drone, and has asked for donations towards the cost of the weather website subscription. He's quick to hold out the hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Any chance we can stop the witch hunt now and move on?

Schools back tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

He's driving a branded car, was very quick to setup a gofundme for his crashed drone, and has asked for donations towards the cost of the weather website subscription. He's quick to hold out the hand.

So what?? If he can monatise his hobby, good for him. No one is forcing you to donate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

So what?? If he can monatise his hobby, good for him. No one is forcing you to donate.

We love a bit of begrudgery in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

You have very low expectations if you think a stay in a hotel 100km down the road is something to be jealous about.

The accusation was not unfounded at all. He's driving a branded car, was very quick to setup a gofundme for his crashed drone, and has asked for donations towards the cost of the weather website subscription. He's quick to hold out the hand.

and more power to him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Can we move it along? Carlow Weather has answered his critics .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

Saw there's two objections to penneys new plans 😔 Surely it would make more sense that there needs to be 100 objections for something like this before they review it!

HugoIrl wrote: »
    Saw there's two objections to penneys new plans �� Surely it would make more sense that there needs to be 100 objections for something like this before they review it!

Think 100's too high a bar; can only think of Barrow Blueway situation & €3 Million Mosque Dev. in Kilkenny to've exceeded & approached that figure respectively.

Are the details of the 2 Objectors up on council website and what're their arguments against; I presume they're both locals, neighbours at the very least.

With the Mosque there were people from Co. Tipperary & Athy objecting to the Calls to Prayer (which weren't actually part of the plan....) on Noise Pollution grounds; now even if the 5 Calls to Prayer were to've been part of the plan, hearing them from Cappawhite & Athy'd be a fair leap ha ha!

Think 100's too high a bar; can only think of Barrow Blueway situation & €3 Million Mosque Dev. in Kilkenny to've exceeded & approached that figure respectively.

Are the details of the 2 Objectors up on council website and what're their arguments against; I presume they're both locals, neighbours at the very least.

With the Mosque there were people from Co. Tipperary & Athy objecting to the Calls to Prayer (which weren't actually part of the plan....) on Noise Pollution grounds; now even if the 5 Calls to Prayer were to've been part of the plan, hearing them from Cappawhite & Athy'd be a fair leap ha ha!

Well if a cap of 20 or 50. Saw details on the nationalist. One is from Leighlin Road and the other is from Fenagh (guessing he/she may have a business premises nearby)

Haha how can ppl not even in the county object like that!

Well if a cap of 20 or 50. Saw details on the nationalist. One is from Leighlin Road and the other is from Fenagh (guessing he/she may have a business premises nearby)

Haha how can ppl not even in the county object like that!

Because that's the way the laws are written. Someone from Letterkenny who has never been in Carlow can legally object to a Carlow development.

A cap of 20 or 50 isn't a good idea either. Supposing myself and yourself were neighbours in the middle of nowhere with nobody else living near us. Then I decided to build a monstrosity beside you and you objected but there was nobody else living nearby to object. Do you think your appeal shouldn't be heard because you haven't 20/50 other objectors?

Unfortunately or fortunately the laws have to be written so that they apply to everyone evenly.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Because that's the way the laws are written. Someone from Letterkenny who has never been in Carlow can legally object to a Carlow development.

A cap of 20 or 50 isn't a good idea either. Supposing myself and yourself were neighbours in the middle of nowhere with nobody else living near us. Then I decided to build a monstrosity beside you and you objected but there was nobody else living nearby to object. Do you think your appeal shouldn't be heard because you haven't 20/50 other objectors?

Unfortunately or fortunately the laws have to be written so that they apply to everyone evenly.

I would think objections on a sliding scale. Depending on size of a project and location. So two neighbours in the middle of no where one objection is sufficient. A large scale commercial project in a town 20 to 50 objections would make more sense. Just a thought is all.

I would think objections on a sliding scale. Depending on size of a project and location. So two neighbours in the middle of no where one objection is sufficient. A large scale commercial project in a town 20 to 50 objections would make more sense. Just a thought is all.

That leaves things very grey though. Sliding scales aren't black and white. The law likes to be black and white.

I think it's stupid that someone who couldn't point Carlow out on a map can object but that's the system we are stuck with and I reckon it won't be changed any time soon.

You commonly see examples of it where certain environmentalists object to projects that are on the other side of the country from them. I think some lad from Galway is particularly known for it.

It's also a common tactic by businesses to object in order to delay or stop a competitor from opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Notmything

Do they still have the coin counting machine in supervalu in Carlow?

I saw one of those lads that robbed the petrol station at Tinryland two years out walking the streets over the weekend the court system in this country is terrible less than two years for armed robbery where shots were fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I saw one of those lads that robbed the petrol station at Tinryland two years out walking the streets over the weekend the court system in this country is terrible less than two years for armed robbery where shots were fired.

Small lad, looks like he could still be in primary school?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

Notmything wrote: »
    Do they still have the coin counting machine in supervalu in Carlow?
    Yeah they do. it is moved over to the off licence section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Notmything

Yeah they do. it is moved over to the off licence section

Thanks for that.

The Traveller encampment at bottom of Montgomery St. where there's PP gone in for apartment complexes has been vacated & bollards erected preventing entry.

I thought we were passed these days but sure enough coming through town this evening around 18:30 there was a queue of about 15 people outside the auctioneers.

https://kclr96fm.com/queue-expected-outside-carlow-auctioneers-tonight-before-tomorrows-house-sale/

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I thought we were passed these days but sure enough coming through town this evening around 18:30 there was a queue of about 15 people outside the auctioneers.

https://kclr96fm.com/queue-expected-outside-carlow-auctioneers-tonight-before-tomorrows-house-sale/

Saw similar numbers myself; queuing on R.H.S. from Courthouse side of her shop.

Cool enough night to be queuing; is there no other way, like an online portal or lottery system to do this?

Something like Ticketmaster?

Saw similar numbers myself; queuing on R.H.S. from Courthouse side of her shop.

Cool enough night to be queuing; is there no other way, like an online portal or lottery system to do this?

Something like Ticketmaster?

It was an interesting assortment of characters in the queue. I'm not sure I'd be wanting some of them as neighbours and I'm sure some of those in the queue were having second thoughts. I'm sure one guy I saw walking up to the queue thought they were waiting for drugs.

I'd say they're all half frozen this morning but some seemed well prepared eating from plates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

what's going in where BK was? I see new seats inside and plants etc outside

patrickc wrote: »
    what's going in where BK was? I see new seats inside and plants etc outside

Saw that myself looks to be opening as something else although one person did say they were just renovating the existing burger king. It'll probably be a Chinese takeaway or barbers because Carlow is badly in need of those :rolleyes:

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Saw that myself looks to be opening as something else although one person did say they were just renovating the existing burger king. It'll probably be a Chinese takeaway or barbers because Carlow is badly in need of those :rolleyes:

Which reminds me; Wangs/Ongs on Tullow St. is becoming Georges Takeaway; New York Pizza on Kennedy is "Opening Soon" and Food Time is going where D&Gs was is opening this Thursday the 1st of October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

Which reminds me; Wangs/Ongs on Tullow St. is becoming Georges Takeaway; New York Pizza on Kennedy is "Opening Soon" and Food Time is going where D&Gs was is opening this Thursday the 1st of October.

Georges and Food Time will probably do fine.

New York Pizza won't last long with Apache across the road.

• Advertisement

FHFM50 wrote: »
    New York Pizza won't last long with Apache across the road.

If they do stone baked pizzas I'd say they'll do well. Apache pizza is ****e imo

Advertisement