Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Cw85 wrote: »
    Another new barbers open where little piggies and Barbero barbers was, it's called Crown Cutz. Staff look like they are all about 15 though haha

I'm looking forward to the new season of Narcos Mexico where we find out 90% of the barbers in Ireland are money laundering fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

I'm looking forward to the new season of Narcos Mexico where we find out 90% of the barbers in Ireland are money laundering fronts.

And.......another one has opened across the road from the aforementioned premises on Tullow St.

It's where Mileys Barbers used be & Olivias Barbers was too.

Barber Wars here we come; snippers at dawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    So Dunnes've secured their injunction > https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2020/1203/1182176-dunnes-stores-mr-price-court/

The case is now adjourned til the New Year & Dunnes might bring a motion on what products constitute groceries since the term is so vague; as it is the injunction covers food which includes confectionery & bottled water.

They should just cut to the chase and confirm it is just the products that they are selling cheaper than them, so everything basically

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

So Dunnes've secured their injunction > https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2020/1203/1182176-dunnes-stores-mr-price-court/

The case is now adjourned til the New Year & Dunnes might bring a motion on what products constitute groceries since the term is so vague; as it is the injunction covers food which includes confectionery & bottled water.

Dunnes are greedy feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

patrickc wrote: »
    Dunnes are greedy feckers

Not really it's pretty common for anchor tenants to use their weight and demand certain rights it's the reason there's no one selling similar in the fair green Tesco would do the same and woodies have their park, doyles in theirs etc.

If Dunnes didn't win and decided to shut down the Carlow store it would be more of an issue imo. Mr.Price would've been well aware of these often unspoken terms in retail parks before signing their lease.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Not really it's pretty common for anchor tenants to use their weight and demand certain rights it's the reason there's no one selling similar in the fair green Tesco would do the same and woodies have their park, doyles in theirs etc.

If Dunnes didn't win and decided to shut down the Carlow store it would be more of an issue imo. Mr.Price would've been well aware of these often unspoken terms in retail parks before signing their lease.

Thank you! So few people commenting on this on social media can't grasp this concept.

And amount of people who think Mr. Price are small fry is embarrassing; they mustn't've got out of Carlow much; they've large stores down the N80 in both Bunclody & Enniscorthy alone & have a total of 51 Stores nationwide.

Maybe a betterway of explaining it to some might be to say if Dunnes weren't there and it was Euro Giant or Dealz opened in Barrow Valley Retail Pk.do they not think that Mr. Price, as the assumed, for this argument, anchor tenants would in all likelihood have signed up to an exclusivity covenant with retail park oweners/management to be the only ones allowed sell discounted goods?

As for those calling on people to boycott Dunnes in Carlow? Yeah Jimmy from Co. Cork lad, I'd say they'll miss your custom alright......

And.......another one has opened across the road from the aforementioned premises on Tullow St.

It's where Mileys Barbers used be & Olivias Barbers was too.

Barber Wars here we come; snippers at dawn!

Should've just edited my post but still here goes.

So it appears Barbero 57 are reopening in the Tullow St. Barbers unit so right across from the one they'd occupied (now Crown Cutz) albeit briefly earlier on in the year.....unusual & bizarre state of affairs after putting a lot of work into the former Miss Piggys shoe shop..

I don't get it; is it turf wars on a barbershop scale?

Edit to say, Barbero 27 only opened up at end of February as per their Facebook page, had to shut due to Govt. guidelines 2-3 weeks later.....and never reopened again?

Head scratcher is that; be curious to see the lease/agreement with landlord for rent, length of tenancy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Head scratcher is that; be curious to see the lease/agreement with landlord for rent, length of tenancy etc.

https://propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr-com.nsf/eStampUNID/UNID-C3AE6F8D7AA8919E80258521005D733B?OpenDocument

D_BEAR wrote: »

A lot of retail leases are now moving to turnover based leases so landlords can retain tenants and tenants can continue through these closures. I wonder would there be a small profit to be made (albeit fraudulent) in this with start up grants etc being handed out.

Very interesting P.P. in Nationalist this week; 38, 39, 40 & 43 Tullow St. where 11 x 1 Bed Apartments're being sought for by MESD Ventures Ltd.

Google tells me one of those units already has an occupant on ground floor which will be unaffected as the plans are for 1st Floor; currently this is (vacant) office space so change of use has to be applied for.

Communal areas also including laundry rm., bicycle storage/general storage rm., refuse storage area, ancillary services area with use of existing ground floor entrance (in between Paul Whites Pharmacy & what is used for storage by them currently but which has previously housed a Carlow College hub & a Lions Club Book Sale, Photographic Soc. Exhibition etc.

That other unit I'm referring to on ground floor? P.P. has been sought by South Leinster Citizens Info. Centre for a premises; unsure where that's at in the system.

• Advertisement

With Muine Bheag LEA currently having one of the highest Covid 19 rates in the country I'm not so sure about the optics of our local radio station doing an O/B this Monday from 10am-12 Noon & 12 Midday to 4 O'Clock; I know there'll be social distancing at the events (Reas Dept. Store) but still and all like?

https://kclr96fm.com/22-cwkk-582-nationally-6-deaths/?fbclid=IwAR0xT8aZbtFgGBUAhPoLLdymUkSV_AjFGGVxqhXLNRTbweN0DcPoc4ya40k

Fast Cracked Phone Repairs currently of Burrin St. opposite to Supermacs're moving to fill the vacant unit on Kennedy Ave. beside Carphone Warehouse that was formerly Axa Insurance; they'll be in from end of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,595 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There seems to be a major crime scene up by the fire station. Road taped off Garda camera crew recording.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

There seems to be a major crime scene up by the fire station. Road taped off Garda camera crew recording.

A young chap got knocked down on his way to school before 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

Fire brigade and Gardai on Burrin St.

FHFM50 wrote: »
    Fire brigade and Gardai on Burrin St.

Chimney fire outbound as per a KCLR News Report following day.

On a different note have to hand it to Graiguecullen-Killeshin & Carlow Cathedral Parishes. Christmas Eve Masses began @ 11am this morning in G-K & will be on every 2 hours since then up to & including Polish Mass @ 11pm.

That's 7.

In CC it's every 2 hours since 4 & up to & incl. 12 Midnight. Another 6.

50 x 13 = 650 is however just over capacity of Carlow Cathedral for a single Mass (620).

But it's symbolic nonetheless. And a serious effort by Bishop Nulty/Priests.

Reference to falling income was made by one of the Padres in Carlow Cathedral (unsure which Masses it was at but given they're all effectively repeats it could've been any & all & perhaps is a message they have to get out; we can all bang on about Vatican riches but at the end of the day Parishes're a business ultimately & have various overheads, offices to run, Bishops & Priests to pay etc.); they/he did say however they have been making cut-backs to try balance this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

Chimney fire outbound as per a KCLR News Report following day.

On a different note have to hand it to Graiguecullen-Killeshin & Carlow Cathedral Parishes. Christmas Eve Masses began @ 11am this morning in G-K & will be on every 2 hours since then up to & including Polish Mass @ 11pm.

That's 7.

In CC it's every 2 hours since 4 & up to & incl. 12 Midnight. Another 6.

50 x 13 = 650 is however just over capacity of Carlow Cathedral for a single Mass (620).

But it's symbolic nonetheless. And a serious effort by Bishop Nulty/Priests.

Reference to falling income was made by one of the Padres in Carlow Cathedral (unsure which Masses it was at but given they're all effectively repeats it could've been any & all & perhaps is a message they have to get out; we can all bang on about Vatican riches but at the end of the day Parishes're a business ultimately & have various overheads, offices to run, Bishops & Priests to pay etc.); they/he did say however they have been making cut-backs to try balance this out.

There was no mention of money or a collection at the mass we attended

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

It was mentioned the week before if my memory is correct.

Lots of people forget that the Parishes employ staff (not just the priests) and have a lot of fixed costs such as public liability insurance, heating and lighting, most of which have not been reduced. It's not just the mass collection income that is down, the bingo and lotto were big fundraisers as well and all of that has stopped. No income either from the shop or parish centre so they are getting well hammered.

Most of the parishes now facilitate online payment via their websites, including the Cathedral Parish

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

Anyone been down the NCT centre lately?? motor due in shortly,presume we aren't allowed into the lunchbox sized waiting area...do they have a shelter for customers to wait outside if its bucketing down rain or what kinda setup is it?

celticsfan wrote: »
    Anyone been down the NCT centre lately?? motor due in shortly,presume we aren't allowed into the lunchbox sized waiting area...do they have a shelter for customers to wait outside if its bucketing down rain or what kinda setup is it?

Oh you're allowed in alright and it does still be crammed. Covid apparently waits at the door up there ffs :rolleyes::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

Oh you're allowed in alright and it does still be crammed. Covid apparently waits at the door up there ffs :rolleyes::mad:

May dig out the auld hazmat suit so :)

celticsfan wrote: »
    May dig out the auld hazmat suit so :)

Fire the keys at them it's no more than they do and out the door asap. It must be a terrible depressing job working for NCT they're all miserable up there. I regularly leave the work vans into Dooleys and they're sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

We plan on doing a bit of renovation and build an extension next year, and I want to get the ball rolling and have a chat with an architect.

I'm a draughtsman myself so know what i'm talking about, but am way too busy to get the drawings done myself.

None of the work I do is local, so wouldn't know who'd be best to deal with, so i'm looking for some recommendations please.

Deliveroo're now doing deliveries for ALDI; don't know if just Hanover store or Graiguecullen, Bagenalstown.

Do Deliveroo staff themselves have to go in & select the items or do ALDI staff pick & have them ready for delivery?

Not sure of additional cost for shopper; not a service I need to use but I'd imagine during various lockdowns, isolation periods etc. this is a Godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Deliveroo're now doing deliveries for ALDI; don't know if just Hanover store or Graiguecullen, Bagenalstown.

Do Deliveroo staff themselves have to go in & select the items or do ALDI staff pick & have them ready for delivery?

Not sure of additional cost for shopper; not a service I need to use but I'd imagine during various lockdowns, isolation periods etc. this is a Godsend.

Aldi staff pick the shopping. They collect and deliver it for you.

I'd use that just to avoid the queues. I don't know why they refuse to install self service checkouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

Fire the keys at them it's no more than they do and out the door asap. It must be a terrible depressing job working for NCT they're all miserable up there. I regularly leave the work vans into Dooleys and they're sound.
    Never had any bother up there although you would hear customers complaining about small things . I am in every year with an 19 year old car with 250 K miles on it . This year I had a broken spring so I had to come back for suspension retest @€;27

Bog Man 1 wrote: »
    Never had any bother up there although you would hear customers complaining about small things . I am in every year with an 19 year old car with 250 K miles on it . This year I had a broken spring so I had to come back for suspension retest @€;27

A lad I know in town had his car in for test recently. Tester came out to bring car in whipped around and nailed a kerb damaging the wheel in front of him. Denied it altogether, your man was lucky not to get pulled out of the car. A witness and cctv footage reviewed and NCT owned up to damages.

Golden Grill will be (re) opening on Dublin St. next week > "NEW CHIPPER OPENS UP ON DUBLIN STREET DESPITE THE LOCKDOWN" > https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2021/01/09/new-chipper-opens-up-on-dublin-street-despite-the-lockdown/?fbclid=IwAR1iEY8BdezdtlihtVvEM5g52WTYJPWll94wCDKXWRq6Krke03PHlJz78js

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

Anyone know what happened to the young Irish lad who was begging in town for years. Often outside Centra, Aldi, Penneys,etc,...

I think his first name was Cormac. Wanted to know if he got clean or just went to another county.

Advertisement