Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Notmything wrote: »
    As a graduate of the college (in the last 5 years) i can honestly say that some lecturers very definitely try to influence students political views towards the left side of the irish spectrum. In particular the idea that multinationals/capitalism/for profit are bad and should not be accepted by society. There was a clear bias towards left leaning beliefs and values, to the extent that if you challenged the lecturers beliefs you put your grade at risk.

FWIW i was replying to the assertion that Wallace had nothing to do with the college, i pointed out she had graduated from there. I had many of her lectuerers so not at all surprised at her beliefs

One PBP member ran for LE in Kilkenny last May; unsure if any of other lecturers're PBP members but 2-3 other lecturers're 100% in the bracket of your description; one has been elevated in their position in last year or two going by local media appearances.

Was a bit surprised a few years back to learn of an LGBT Soc. in the college; wonder when/what year it started or if it's still ongoing and if much of a "demand" for it?

Anecdotally Cllr. Wallace when a student there she wasn't particularly politicised; then she'd an oppo to confront Enda Kenny on Tullow St. when he was on walkabout; best guess is that was ahead of 2015s Bye-Election; there's a pic of her pointing her finger at him.

Any update on the lad due to be deported in late 2019/early 2020; they, the college, got behind him, held a protest @ Dept. of Foreign Affairs backed by USI & at least 2, maybe 3-4 Lecturers spoke at it; bus load went up to it.

Disappointed to hear you feel/felt your grades might be down-graded/at risk if you didn't ascribe to group-think that your lecturer doesn't share; if you felt it then it's safe to say others did & do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    One PBP member ran for LE in Kilkenny last May; unsure if any of other lecturers're PBP members but 2-3 other lecturers're 100% in the bracket of your description; one has been elevated in their position in last year or two going by local media appearances.

Was a bit surprised a few years back to learn of an LGBT Soc. in the college; wonder when/what year it started or if it's still ongoing and if much of a "demand" for it?

Anecdotally Cllr. Wallace when a student there she wasn't particularly politicised; then she'd an oppo to confront Enda Kenny on Tullow St. when he was on walkabout; best guess is that was ahead of 2015s Bye-Election; there's a pic of her pointing her finger at him.

Any update on the lad due to be deported in late 2019/early 2020; they, the college, got behind him, held a protest @ Dept. of Foreign Affairs backed by USI & at least 2, maybe 3-4 Lecturers spoke at it; bus load went up to it.

Disappointed to hear you feel/felt your grades might be down-graded/at risk if you didn't ascribe to group-think that your lecturer doesn't share; if you felt it then it's safe to say others did & do too.

I doubt you'll find a college in the country without an LGBT society, why wouldn't there be or why wouldn't there be demand for it?

Real Life wrote: »
    I doubt you'll find a college in the country without an LGBT society, why wouldn't there be or why wouldn't there be demand for it?

My bad; I meant in the context of Carlow College being a college Catholic in its ethos having an LGBT Soc.; I was suitably impressed being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Notmything

My bad; I meant in the context of Carlow College being a college Catholic in its ethos having an LGBT Soc.; I was suitably impressed being honest.

In my experience the college while having a Catholic ethos did not push it down students throats, religious occasions were acknowledged including other religions.

Spicemax an Asian/Multi Ethnic convenience store is to open where Coxs Take Out/Next Door Off Licence was; fit out's underway & should be trading within a fortnight to three weeks maximum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Bog Man 1 wrote: »
    They

St Patrick's College, secondary school in Carlow, has also seen its large shareholding of 628,000 shares drop in value from highs of €11.7m to around €314,000.

College president Fr Caoimhin O'Neill said the shares had been a nice earner for the school.

"We purchased them for £20,000 in 1969 and they had proved to be a wise investment that yielded good dividends," he said.

St Patrick’s is 3rd level, not a secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I see a big picture of Mattress Mick has gone up up at the Range retail park beside screwfix which still shows no sign of opening.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I see a big picture of Mattress Mick has gone up up at the Range retail park beside screwfix which still shows no sign of opening.

Was there yesterday in Army Surplus Warehouse; that's some spot in itself but would've loved to've gone round the houses in Four Lakes Retail Pk.; Screwfix certainly compliments & indeed competes with ASW.

Mattress Mick is due to open "sometime" in April; had thought Easter but with An Tanaiste now saying non-essential til end of that month........

Still when both're open it'll mean pretty much every unit filled in the park; Army Surplus Warehouse, Currys-PC World, Maxi Zoo, Screwfix, Mattress Micks, the Range, Supermacs; that's impressive for a place that was looking like a white elephant for a few years.

Was there yesterday in Army Surplus Warehouse; that's some spot in itself but would've loved to've gone round the houses in Four Lakes Retail Pk.; Screwfix certainly compliments & indeed competes with ASW.

Mattress Mick is due to open "sometime" in April; had thought Easter but with An Tanaiste now saying non-essential til end of that month........

Still when both're open it'll mean pretty much every unit filled in the park; Army Surplus Warehouse, Currys-PC World, Maxi Zoo, Screwfix, Mattress Micks, the Range, Supermacs; that's impressive for a place that was looking like a white elephant for a few years.

Yeah that's some spot spot for a wander alright but the majority of stuff is cheap Chinese stamped tat, grand for single use but not a whole lot more. Screwfix will be great with there click and collect it's very handy. Prices are good also.

Matress mick should do well there's not really a whole lot similar in town. Still no word on Jysk opening over at Dunnes probably down to non essential also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

About 8 Garda cars and 2 vans came into Ashfield estate (Black Bog Road), all with the sirens on. Only stayed for a few minutes and left. I'm guessing drugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

FHFM50 wrote: »
    About 8 Garda cars and 2 vans came into Ashfield estate (Black Bog Road), all with the sirens on. Only stayed for a few minutes and left. I'm guessing drugs. Don't understand why they needed so many of them .

Maybe there was a pile of them because they expected trouble?

FHFM50 wrote: »
    About 8 Garda cars and 2 vans came into Ashfield estate (Black Bog Road), all with the sirens on. Only stayed for a few minutes and left. I'm guessing drugs. Don't understand why they needed so many of them .

That sounds like the arguement some people make when they see five police men tackling one man. They aren't there to provide a fair fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Beauchamp Bagenal

That didn't take them long... https://kclr96fm.com/kclr-live-are-carlow-people-falling-prey-to-extremists/
    KCLR is the most miserable station on the airwaves.

In other news, it's all bad news in Carlow.
    Quite a few tragic deaths recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Notmything

That didn't take them long... https://kclr96fm.com/kclr-live-are-carlow-people-falling-prey-to-extremists/
    KCLR is the most miserable station on the airwaves.

In other news, it's all bad news in Carlow.
    Quite a few tragic deaths recently.

Oh dear god, what a load of bs. Stephanie was one of my lecturers. She would see anyone who doesnt bend over and accept unquestionaly her beliefs as far right. *my view

From the KP (RTE News also carried it); man living in Tullow past 7 years **charged** with money laundering offences (Nationalsti'll probably carry it Tuesday; it & the KP're part of same newspaper group; KCLR haven't run with it yet either) >
    https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/616302/man-charged-with-money-laundering-following-kilkenny-garda-investigation.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

On another, unrelated note, some in passing may've seen works going on in the unit at Riverdell on ground floor level below Polonez on R.H.S. before the "Monolith" & the restaurant that was formerly Boardwalk?
    Vacant space is being converted into apartments; don't know how many or specifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,592 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Carlow town is getting an extra €5m on top of the already announced €10m that was announced last week from the Urban Regeneration and Development Fund to go to the Carlow 2040 plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

that new director in the council, Michael Rainey, moved from Laois County Council.. He's very much a do-er

Just saw The Otterholt Hostel owner Archbold is applying to build student accommodation on the hostel site.

He has a sign up on the entrance to the hostel.

A 6 Story with 184 bed spaces
    A 5 Story with 145 bed spaces
    A 4 Story with 95 bed spaces
    A 4 Story with 88 bed spaces

Along with new marina and other works down at the barrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Just saw The Otterholt Hostel owner Archbold is applying to build student accommodation on the hostel site.

He has a sign up on the entrance to the hostel.

A 6 Story with 184 bed spaces
    A 5 Story with 145 bed spaces
    A 4 Story with 95 bed spaces
    A 4 Story with 88 bed spaces

Along with new marina and other works down at the barrow.

Handy place to live if you are a student. That's an awful lot of stuff crammed onto that site though.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Handy place to live if you are a student. That's an awful lot of stuff crammed onto that site though.

Where's that site? I see it there now, that building is an eyesore as it stands.

Seems a ridiculous amount of housing for students, the college isn't that big.

• Advertisement

The way its worded there if that is right bed spaces that sound more like bunk beds dormitory than individual or double rooms. Even at 60 euro a week per head at a 26 week college year plus 5 weeks holidays to keep the bed thats roughly 950k a year in rent not bad going.

Also how long before the council end up paying for one of those blocks to put up some of the towns undesirable that that they are already paying him for already staying in his hostel along with paying the owners of the charlotte rooms for one floor there and a few of the b and bs around the town. The council are paying out fortunes renting rooms around the town for those most landlords wont touch.

I'm wondering is the student housing just going in where the hostel/house and grounds are now or will it go on the far side of the Burger King/Chipper where the land there is being cleared out and looks like it's getting made ready for some sort of development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

Anyone know of someone in Carlow town selling a second hand bike ? (Adult Male)

Something simple , low in price. Just for getting around.

PM me - Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭votecounts

Was talking to a neighbour who would be in his late 70s and he was saying he has got no word from his doctor about his his 1st jab. Do anyone know if there has been many in the 75-79 given appointments yet.
    I know about the delays so was just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

votecounts wrote: »
    Was talking to a neighbour who would be in his late 70s and he was saying he has got no word from his doctor about his his 1st jab. Do anyone know if there has been many in the 75-79 given appointments yet.
    I know about the delays so was just wondering

I know that alot of folks around Fenagh have got their vaccinations already in the 70+ age range. I would recommend that your neighbor contact his GP to get an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭natc

My GP is expecting to vaccinate all patients 75-79 next Monday and Tuesday. Along with giving the second doses to over 85s who were all ready vaccinated. They said this is reliant on getting the supply they request and reckon they will not get what they request on this occasion so may have to wait a bit longer to cover all that group.

I guess it depends on where your friend is located and the level of demand in the area from GPs. HSE will only release so much to each area I guess. It’s pot luck really which is no comfort to anyone older and vulnerable awaiting vaccination

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭votecounts

natc wrote: »
    My GP is expecting to vaccinate all patients 75-79 next Monday and Tuesday. Along with giving the second doses to over 85s who were all ready vaccinated. They said this is reliant on getting the supply they request and reckon they will not get what they request on this occasion so may have to wait a bit longer to cover all that group.

I guess it depends on where your friend is located and the level of demand in the area from GPs. HSE will only release so much to each area I guess. It’s pot luck really which is no comfort to anyone older and vulnerable awaiting vaccination
    Neighbour would be from Carlow Town and his GP would be based on the Staplestown Road. When I next talk to him, I'll advise him to ring

When is the vaccination centre at the IT due to open and start?

• Advertisement

When is the vaccination centre at the IT due to open and start?

In a fortnights time as per Page 6 of this weeks paper; no specific day/date/times mentioned but give or take week after Easter Bank Holiday Monday I guess or following week.?

Advertisement