Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

• Is it true that Kathryn Thomas' Dad owns the Carlow shopping centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Guess how many times our TD for the constituency/county mentions the coffee outlets name?

Clue 1: It's less than once.

Guess how many times our local TD mentions the location of the branch?

Clue 2; It's less than once.

Glorified Parish Pump Politician is what she is; her delivery, diction is pathetic & stunted & if this is her attempt at acting she'd be better off resigning & going to a drama school; like you'd start off a clip like this saying "I'm here at......on......beside....opposite to....around the corner from....." to "place" the location of the business you're fawning over surely?

Basic s**t like.

Cringeworthy stuff https://www.facebook.com/MurnaneOConnorTD/videos/410912933847038

Can't fathom the fawning over her across certain social media platforms; she must've got a quare lot of people a house.......!

More Ukrainians arrived today; not naming premises other than centre of town.

Busload, or half thereof, dropped off.

It's getting to stage that accommodation providers who took a hit to income during Covid're making hay while this situation proceeds; guaranteed income instead of relying on a tourist season where bednights aren't always guaranteed.

Of the venues I'm aware of which're in use 4 are accommodation providers; accommodation means they've a guaranteed income for x amount of weeks or months.

Some residents're better off than others; one centre provides free grub for breakfast, lunch & dinner; others're self-catering; I'd apply for a swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,522 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks like Penny’s is close to opening now it looks fully stocked inside and the final finishing touches are being done outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭votecounts

• Registered Users Posts: 60,522 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Haven't seen any announced.

If I was to guess I would say the June Bank Holiday weekend would be a good opening weekend for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

Someone on Facebook said June 14th

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is there any thing else going into the Penneys site? Was talk of a whole new shopping centre but understood that was canned in favour of a cheaper revamp

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

I see the Chairperson of the county council is retiring, maybe they'll get someone in who might do something instead of just going for photo-ops with signs for things

• Advertisement

Heard, from site security, Sunday the 5th of June; that could of course be day & date Bennett Construction do handover & they've to be off site, contracts concluded?

Getting to point we open a book on this......

Would imagine all staff know at this point; no doubt our local TD will be front & centre doing a ribbon cutting, photo op etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

• Owners owed people money I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CraftBeer

Looks like the entire building got a nice tan.

People in the apartments above very lucky they were not burnt to death by those who started the fire when caught they should be charged with attempted murder as they knew what they were doing starting the fire it would not have been manslaughter

The 2 shops left & right were shut today; Polish one reckons it'll be open tomorrow (Wednesday) but they'd've had to chuck a large amount of stock out since power was cut; anything like meats etc. in fridges & freezers'd've spoiled & defrosted.

Hair salon; saw front door glass was smashed/had cracked due to heat + their signage got burnt too; inevitably smoke damage & maybe electrical too & of course the smell will have to be got rid of before clients can return.

Fresh Bites, the next unit up from them was also closed today; they'd have stuff in fridge & maybe freezer too which would've caused them to shut for the day too.

Can't fathom the local online reaction thinking this was an accident even when the reports are of the car being stolen in Highfield Est. (and other cars there being interfered with too); God Bless their innocence or naivety.........

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This was a very serious incident and potentially very dangerous for those unfortunate enough to be living above the fire damage. Luckily everyone got out and the building didn’t become a complete inferno. Should be very serious implications for those involved - surely they have a fair idea already

seems to be the new thing now in Carlow, setting a car alight. Feel sorry for those in the floors above who had nothing to do with all of this. anyone who knows the town knows what was behind this.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Notmything

Definitely was not an accident.

Part of an ongoing feud between two families with links to drugs in the town.

• Advertisement

Chopper's out again; presumably nighttime training exercises?

An attack in town last night linked to the arson attack the town is going to descend into a war-zone they way things are going between these two groups.

Penneys is scheduled, as per a few employees, for Tuesday the 14th or Wednesday the 15th.

Potentially interesting move by Carlow College to go 100% State owned/run & not under auspices of Catholic Church (2nd Oldest College in Ireland) https://kclr96fm.com/cw-college-to-be-gifted-to-state/

Bit of a difference between the statement and what KCLR are reporting but it's madness for a town of Carlow's size to have 2 3rd level institutions. It would be good to see it merged with Carlow IT to create a more balanced multi-campus multi-disciplined university.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Notmything

Tbf, Carlow College fills a relatively niche role in third level. Probably half its students are mature and other than social care it's not competing with the IT or whatever it's called now.

I can think of at least one lecturer there who would be delighted to see the college cut its ties to the church.

It's also in need of some major investment to revamp it's infrastructure, most of the lecture rooms are shabby and drab. Likewise the canteen is very dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

Folks..anyone ever went to the Carlow Sportsdirect store with an item they ordered from the online store?? just wondering do they entertain exchanges/store credit or will they make a big fuss about it..the efficient folk from the online store sent us the wrong item

Oh I know EXACTLY who you mean by this "I can think of at least one lecturer there who would be delighted to see the college cut its ties to the church." bit ba ha ha!

Goes to every PBP type protest going locally & regionally & nationally.

Front & Centre regarding a student there due to be deported in 2019 or 2020; the college ran a bus to Dept. of Justice & they'd a protest on steps of the building; strangely enough the story has been buried & they're no longer addressing the issue citing GDPR; amazing how on such occasions GDPR can be used when it suits an agenda & then cited for use when it doesn't......

It's become a very leftie college over the years; an LGBT Soc. in a Catholic ethos college for instance.

Have been to the Carloviana Dining Hall as their restaurant/cafe is called; the Ukrainian Refugees on site have no access to it which, for such a leftie college is somewhat surprising; they're there on self-catering instead; their accommodation is self-catering so they've to fend for themselves & St. Clares Hospitality Kitchen is quite popular as a result; those in the Clink and, presumably Ewings, Redsetter & Dolmen Hall & Carlow Guesthouse would seem to've bagged themselve a meal ticket with all meals provided on site.

Lecture Halls're drab & dated for sure but I guess that's the difference between a college with such history & one, the IT/SETU which doesn't and has always modernised over the decades?

Will be interesting to see if the centuries old public access is continued; it's a fantastic walk round the back & there's cricket on Saturdays/Sundays/both from about April-September.

I presume they leased the ground on which the Visual stands to Carlow Co. Co. given they ceded Carbery & Staunton Houses & the Ball Alley?

Both blocks of accommodation would've been very much welcomed in current times for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Was referred to a&e in St. Lukes this evening for my 7 year olds suspected fractured foot, told there would be a possible 4 hour wait though many had been there 8 hours, not even a chair available for the child to sit on. So she was supposed to stand for that length of time with a possible fractured foot, absolutely ridiculous!!!!

I left and will get her foot x-rayed privately if anyone has any recommendations.

Advertisement