Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BTRocket

Does anyone know what is the story with the fountain at kennedy and the thing with the bodies on it. Is it to be knocked or what:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

BTRocket wrote: »
    Does anyone know what is the story with the fountain at kennedy and the thing with the bodies on it. Is it to be knocked or what:pac::D

Why the smiley faces and the 'is it to be knocked or what'? :rolleyes:. The thing with the bodies on it is called the 'Liberty Tree', which is a little ironic seen as there are dead and persecuted bodies hanging from it. It supposedly symbolises the losses in Carlow and Ireland in general during the 1798 rebellion. 'Liberty trees' were planted to congradulate and celebrate Frances new found liberty prior to 1798, but this liberty tree statue has a lot of poor devils hanging from it, those whom lost there lives in a vain attempt for liberty. It was placed in the Potatoe market as it was there that the four groups of United Irishmen were to assemble before taking the town, but alas it wasnt to be.

Its certainly not going to be 'knocked', I've heard its to be moved, to where, and when, I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BTRocket

Ahh yes that's what its called, the old grey matter is half asleep at this hour.

And who better to refresh my local knowlege on 1798 than a person with a handle like yours. Thanks.

I was reading on the nationalist some time back that there was some big hullabaloo in the council chambers about moving it and selling the land to Messers McLaughlin (or their company), but couldn't quiet remember the story. Councilers were deeply moved on the decision they had to make and some even felt it was beyond their office. (if I remember the story correctly)

They said that the blood flowed down the full length of Tullow street to Shamrock square and on the other way down past castle hill.

Rough times, should not to be forgotten.
    And some people don't even vote. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

From my reliable(usually) source, Mr McLoguhlin bought the car-park and is leasing it back to the council and the Liberty Tree is staying there.

BTRocket wrote: »

They said that the blood flowed down the full length of Tullow street to Shamrock square and on the other way down past castle hill.

My dad told me that once when I was a kid, I subsequently recreated the scene, as I seen it in my head in the form of a drawing in school. As you can imagine my teacher was not overly impressed (and probably somewhat worried)! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

stick-dan wrote: »
    Sure here ye might as well have a gander at my efforts over the last few days at mmaking my photography website.

D Jordan Photography

Nice site Dan, Love the Photo's and the Pix shots too.

super-rush wrote: »
    From my reliable(usually) source, Mr McLoguhlin bought the car-park and is leasing it back to the council and the Liberty Tree is staying there.

Correct from the best of my knowledge, but things can always change.

I wonder what kind of contract was signed? i.e. duration.....and knowing Mr McLoughan its not cheap either..

As for the tree I have to say I didn't like it when it went up at first but it grew on me, especially when I learned what it represented.
    The center of the town would not be the same without it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

tombull82 wrote: »
    Nice site Dan, Love the Photo's and the Pix shots too.

Thanks Tom, at the moment i'm still putting it all together. Thanks again for your kind words,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Sure here ye might as well have a gander at my efforts over the last few days at mmaking my photography website.

D Jordan Photography

There are some incredible photographs there dan, i love the website. it is brilliant. Is it possible to put the photographs on a slideshow, so one can sit back and enjoy.

Does anyone know where Ardattin is and how you get to it from Carlow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Does anyone know where Ardattin is and how you get to it from Carlow

Head into Ballon and turn off for Tullow, when you come to the crossroads turn right..then left and left.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    There are some incredible photographs there dan, i love the website. it is brilliant. Is it possible to put the photographs on a slideshow, so one can sit back and enjoy.

That's really a great idea queeny i must say. I actually hadn't though about that at all. I might look into it soon enough. Listen if you want a slide show you could install a firefox addon called cool iris and it will slideshow all images on the site for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

why do SUV drivers feel that there is no need for them to use indicators??? what is their deal??? (i'm aware im making a huge generalisation here!!)

ugh...i know its friday but im hating today!

That's really a great idea queeny i must say. I actually hadn't though about that at all. I might look into it soon enough. Listen if you want a slide show you could install a firefox addon called cool iris and it will slideshow all images on the site for you :)

I second that motion. cool iris is a great addon

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

D Jordan Photography

Spam tbh. :pac:

Nead21 wrote: »
    why do SUV drivers feel that there is no need for them to use indicators??? what is their deal??? (i'm aware im making a huge generalisation here!!)

I'll close my eye's for this on.......... Anyway I drive a proper 4X4 not an SUV so maybe its soccer mums your talking about anyway.(they generally don't know how to drive) they = women..:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

I think its more then just SUV drivers, and whats with ppl taking ages to take a turn onto another street??? The cars not gonna rollover at that speed! :mad:

i generally believe that these mums who buy SUVs cant drive either....they nearly run me into a ditch every morning on the way to school.

pretty shocking display this morning though......3 roundabouts, 3 major junctions and then finally turning off a main road with not an indicator in sight!! cleary acquired their licence off the back of a cornflakes box!!! :rolleyes:

Sully wrote: »
    Spam tbh. :pac:

you're spam.

Don't you know that SUV's don't come with indicators.

Also the drivers know where they are going, that's all that matters

• Advertisement

Oh lads, you all may go to the saltee islands they are amazing and the wildlife there is second to none. I'm just back and boy do i wish i had of brought suncream. my god i was burnt alive yesterday. Some amazing photo's to be had and aside from that it's a very scenic and enjoyable place to go.

Was sitting on the bank of a canal at 3 this morning waiting for the dawn chorus to start. There is no better sight than watching your float go under as the mist rises off the surface. Everything is so clean and fresh at that hour. Feckin shattered though. Been a long 36 hours with a gig thrown in the middle for good measure.

i generally believe that these mums who buy SUVs cant drive either....they nearly run me into a ditch every morning on the way to school.

pretty shocking display this morning though......3 roundabouts, 3 major junctions and then finally turning off a main road with not an indicator in sight!! cleary acquired their licence off the back of a cornflakes box!!! :rolleyes:

I do hope you sat on your horn when you passed by.... and maybe even raised a fist of anger.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

I do hope you sat on your horn when you passed by.... and maybe even raised a fist of anger.:mad:

Didn't even need to be a whole fist, just a finger :D

There is no better sight than watching your float go under as the mist rises off the surface. Everything is so clean and fresh at that hour.

Poetic man! Poetic! :o:p The dawn chorus is grand isnt it.

HugoIrl wrote: »

Sh1te i thought i was in AH for a minute :pac::pac: Great use of horn, fist and finger
    Poetic man! Poetic! :o:p The dawn chorus is grand isnt it.

I love the dawn chorus except when i'm trying to get to sleep.

HugoIrl wrote: »

A fist when your accusing and a finger when your denying :D

Is it just me or did it get very warm very quickly over the last hour or so? There's not a breath of air outside

Is it just me or did it get very warm very quickly over the last hour or so? There's not a breath of air outside
    Yep its still dead heat out even now at this hour

• Advertisement

this time tomorrow i'll almost be on school holidays.....woohooo :)

Advertisement