Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

this may sound stupid but is thursday any good for going out?
    im heading out this thursday and just wanna know what im gettting into :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

its used to be...

Its been awhile since I was out on a Thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

coolie thanks ill let ya know if its good

oh and one more quiry has anyone tried out the new cocktail bar in scraggs yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

I'm really beginning to hate South Africa. Just back to my hotel and my room ransacked. I've still another five and a half weeks to go down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

leincar wrote: »
    I'm really beginning to hate South Africa. Just back to my hotel and my room ransacked. I've still another five and a half weeks to go down here.

I'm sure it won t be the last time.. :mad:

I've a few working with me and they said that people going over are going to get robbed blind.. C**ts

• Advertisement

tombull82 wrote: »
    I'm sure it won t be the last time.. :mad:

I've a few working with me and they said that people going over are going to get robbed blind.. C**ts

Its unreal. Private security on every floor. I have a minder with me at all times and still the room gets robbed. Ah well.

I got a message of a person wondering what games if any I will get to. Here is my match schedule for the next fortnight.

June 11 - Opening ceremony - South Africa v Mexico, Jo'Burg Soccer City
    June 12 - Argentina v Nigeria, Jo'Burg Ellis Park
    June 13 - Germany v Australia, Durban
    June 14 - Holland v Denmark, Jo'Burg Soccer City
    June 15 - Brazil v North Korea, Jo'Burg Ellis Park
    June 16 - Spain v Switzerland, Durban
    June 17 - France v Mexico, Polokwane
    June 18 - England v Algeria, Capetown
    June 19 - Cameroon v Denmark, Pretoria
    June 20 - Italy v New Zealand, Nelspruit
    June 21 - Chile v Switzerland, Port Elizabeth
    June 22 - France v South Africa, Bloemfontein
    June 23 - U.S.A. v Algeria, Pretoria and part of Ghana v Germany, Jo'burg
    June 24 - Cameroon v Holland, Capetown
    June 25 - Portugal v Brazil, Durban

After that it depends on who qualifies and what guidance is needed at that point.

As an aside, about 4 hours ago I was at a drinks reception in Jo'Burg where I met, Pele, Socrates, Karl-Heinz Ruminnegge and a few others. Talking to wife I decided to drop some names and the only reply I got was "Who?"

jealousy doesn't even begin to describe it.

'Cept for the room, that sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

who cares about the room? Private security, personal minder, a line up like that (with more to come) the ability to name such names, and by the sounds of it, its funded by an employer. Deadly

tombull82 wrote: »
    who cares about the room? Private security, personal minder, a line up like that (with more to come) the ability to name such names, and by the sounds of it, its funded by an employer. Deadly

I have to be honest, deadly sums it up appropriately. I haven't heard that expression in years. Trust me when I say it is work, however while my overall employer funds everything I have budgetry control on events in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Swaziland, and Mozambique. Lesotho and Zimbabwe are both blacklisted as I work for an American company.

I have been involved in this industry for twenty five years(since Live Aid when I worked as an intern) and I can get very cycnical about sporting and and large musical events. This year is a bit different. From Vancouver and the Winter Olympics to the World Cup here in South Africa I have noticed a lot more interest in the sporting element rather that the marketing dimension of these events. Trust me it is not always like this. I found the Olympic games in Beijing even more obnoxious than Atlanta' 96 or U.S.A. '94.

I must say that I have brought over from Europe, North America, Japan, and Australia in excess of four hundred people to work in South Africa for the duration. Also there are almost fifteen hundred local people employed at events and at stadia during the world cup.

I brought nobody from Ireland, despite one person from Carlow IT initially sending me a message. When I asked the person in question to send me a a CV via e-mail, well, I'm still waiting. It sums the country up precisely.

I won't post anything in the soccer forum as its strictly about soccer, and not about the periphery, but if anyone wants updates about the goings on over here let me know and I'll post when I can. If any of the mods find this inappropriate, please feel free to delete or post in an appropriate forum.

Now I'm away for a beer with Didier Deschamps. Oh, my wife is still saying 'who?' She has been for twenty years, she's never going to stop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Oh, my wife is still saying 'who?' She has been for twenty years, she's never going to stop now.

i'm also thinking "who"... well apart from Pele, but Socrates?? hmm i studied in him college!! :eek: :pac:

do keep us posted on how things are going if you can....even just to make us all a little green :D

• Advertisement

If any of the mods find this inappropriate, please feel free to delete or post in an appropriate forum.

What could be more appropriate than the random waffle thread. Thats what its there for after all.

What do you do anyway? Events Organiser or something along those lines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

No suprise there "Welcome to South Africa"
    Hope you didnt leav any cash or jewellery lying around in your room, thats what the cleaners will be after most, Id reckon those cleaners are on about 10 ZAR per hr which is about €1 an hr...
    So cant really blame them for raiding tourists luggage...

Ps.. if possible you should of brought a hidden camera with you :)

I need a job...
    Being on this social welfare is starting to do my head in :mad:
    & when i go down to fás they just point you to the Job search machine...
    I wouldn't mind if their was Jobs in my Occupation (construction) available...

I suppose i should consider myself lucky...their is plenty of countries where their is no social welfare handouts :rolleyes:

ShayK1 wrote: »
    What could be more appropriate than the random waffle thread. Thats what its there for after all.

What do you do anyway? Events Organiser or something along those lines?

I'm VP and Director of International Event Management for one of FIFA's partners.

I've just arrived in Capetown for tonights match, England v Algeria. At the match last night I was grabbed and hugged by a Mexican Journalist who swore that Mexico's victory was not only a victory for Mexico but also for Ireland. They were over the moon and the French totally dejected. They were more dejected with the team rather then the fact that they are probably going home. Most were disappointed by the manner they qualified.

I'm not getting as much time as I would like to post, It is a touch busier then I would like, but there you go.

On some of the other games so far, the standard has been pretty poor, I blame the ball for a lot as mistakes are been made at high altitude and sea level. I kicked one of the balls around and to be honest it has the feel of a glorified beach ball.

The Spain V Switzerland game was a big shock, and of the teams I've seen so far, Argentina, Germany, Holland and Mexico are my favourites so far. That could change as everybody is expecting a a convincing win by England tonight.

The travelling is very comfortable. One of the company jets helps a lot and I am away from Johannesburg a lot over the next few days. That is good as it has been very cold in Jo'Burg and surrounding areas.

We are trying to change hotels to somewhere more secluded as the noise of the Vuvuzela's is getting to us all.

Otherwise all the external events are going off smoothly and the best events are taking place in the Townships with some of the Soccer Ambassadors.

I'll try and post again over the weekend.

My wife and daughters fly out early next week for the rest of the tournament. The daughters in particular are moaning about going to the matches.

I think that's going to be a waste of six final tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

England were dismal :(

The English players are all good in their respective clubs but thats it. After that they just cant click as a team..

its just the Media blowing them up like some sort of an unstoppable force....

Spain were meant to be favourites to win the tournament!! where are they now... i can see Argentina going all the way to the final

Don't write Spain off just yet. They lost one game but they've still two to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I really hope they win(or at least make it to the final), I'll be in Majorca for the final :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

nagero wrote: »
    Be nice if the council could get rid of the build of crap in the Burrin. :(

http://bit.ly/bZwzyB (Flickr set)

Must get onto them on Tuesday...

Sent them the photos via twitter @carlow_coco. The bits I pointed out around the weir have been removed.

Still the odd trolly or wheely bin down by that park.

On another note, good to see the flood defence work started down by the barrow track.

kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

nagero wrote: »
    Sent them the photos via twitter @carlow_coco. The bits I pointed out around the weir have been removed.

Still the odd trolly or wheely bin down by that park.

On another note, good to see the flood defence work started down by the barrow track.

kevin

Yea its good to see it started disruption for the next 18 months but will well be worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Pauric

Heres the trailer for the scifi film shooting in Carlow

http://www.bobkellystudio.com/cv/effigy/effigy_road_trailer.html

Pauric wrote: »
    Heres the trailer for the scifi film shooting in Carlow

http://www.bobkellystudio.com/cv/effigy/effigy_road_trailer.html

that is so cool to see something professionally done in places I see everyday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Oh you gotta love the world cup, i predicted the final two teams. Going to collect my "reward" later :D

The German Octopus got all his predictions right too... Crazy stuff.... I wonder who he wil predict to win the final might be worth throwing €20 on his prediction.

On a different note
    Gardai from the South East raided a load of properties in carlow town area on suspicion of dealing Heroin, So thats very good news IMO

SIX PACK wrote: »
    On a different note
    Gardai from the South East raided a load of properties in carlow town area on suspicion of dealing Heroin, So thats very good news IMO

Did they get anything?
    otherwise how is it very good news...?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

From RTE
    11 held in Carlow heroin investigation
    Thursday, 8 July 2010

11 people were arrested in house searches in Carlow town this morning as part of an ongoing garda surveillance operation into heroin dealing.

It is one of the biggest garda operations in the southeast of the country in years.

The eight men and three women, ranging in age from mid-20s to mid-60s, were arrested this morning and were expected to appear in court in Carlow today.
    Advertisement

80 officers took part in the searches and dawn raids of 42 houses and premises in and around Carlow town.

Some evidence was also seized this morning.

Gardaí have been focusing on Carlow for more than a year with surveillance operations stepped up considerably since January.

Thats a pretty big operation by the Guards.

Wel even if they only got small amounts of Narcotics at least they are addressing the issue... & it might deter other from getting involved in the selling of (Heroin the devils dust)
    If the Gardai did nothing about the scourge God only knows how bad & fast the problem will become...

I remember this time last yr they used to be a good few dying off junkies walking around the town every day. Dont see them around anymore,

Nor do i get hassled for the famous €2 short for my bus tactic...
    So their either in Prison now or up in Dublin roaming the streets with the rest of them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

woohoo - nice thunder storm out here around Ballon.

but its driving my poor dogs mad :(

Advertisement