Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Oral- I'm dead!!!

Options
  • 13-03-2008 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Ok, so, my Irish teacher only started doing the oral last Friday (I kid you not) and I have been out sick with a chest infection all of this week. Could someone just give me a list of information that is essential so I can start working on it on Saturday!!!???

Really appreciate it

Sal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Buy "An dTuigeann Tú?".

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dashticle

Oral really depends entirely on your examiner. Mostly though, despite a few central points (yourself, your home, school, what your ma does [lol] etc...) you can steer the conversation how you want, so play your strengths. Or whatever bits you suck at least as was my case :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

nerdysal wrote: »
    Ok, so, my Irish teacher only started doing the oral last Friday (I kid you not) and I have been out sick with a chest infection all of this week. Could someone just give me a list of information that is essential so I can start working on it on Saturday!!!???

Really appreciate it

Sal

I think it is printed in the exam help section of the papers it should be with edco papers anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Make sure you know your sliochteanna! Free marks like.

You need to be able to hold a conversation. Be able to talk about yourself, your family, school, normal things like that. They'll probably throw a modh coinniolach question at you though, stuff like "what would you do if you were taoiseach?" (got that one in me mock oral...), so make sure you've got a good grasp of your tenses and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

Speaking of the Oral, came across some random oral sheets with the sliochtanna on them, with the pronounciation above it typed in, so I'm presuming its form one of the Oral books out there, anyone know which book it is? 'Cos the sliochtanna I found aren't the ones I'm doing..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

dip wrote: »
    Speaking of the Oral, came across some random oral sheets with the sliochtanna on them, with the pronounciation above it typed in, so I'm presuming its form one of the Oral books out there, anyone know which book it is? 'Cos the sliochtanna I found aren't the ones I'm doing..?

I know "An dTuigeann Tú?" gives a pronunciation at the bottom of the page, dunno about being typed above though.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

well i just got myself 82% in my mock oral and I need to improve alot.
    (been to the Gealtacht 6 times so I plan to get my pass in irish on the back of tape and oral)

basics are good. Don't plan it out.
    for example if you say you play sports in your hobbies, know who for, what position and about trainning.

If you know how to say something but not describe it well say it early and leave what you know to the end of the list. I find your often asked about the last thing you tell them for the next question.

- keep talking. If asked where you live, tell them then tell them what kind of a house you live in etc.

remember you can bluff and lie.

I was asked a question I didn't understand.
    Was in future tense so I said "Maybe, We shall see"
    my teacher bought it :)

Good luck, Relax, Take it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

nerdysal wrote: »

Really appreciate it

Sal
    are you doing honours or pass?
    The book "Labhair Liom!" by Edel Ni Bhriain (Folens) is really good if you're doing pass....All basics as well as the more abstract topics...also a section on the sliocht and tells you how to pronounce everything. Its only €10 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

hey, thanks everyone. Yeah I'm doing Pass. I'll look out for Labhair Liom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Buy "Shortcuts to Success: The Irish Oral.... great help, I'm an honours student and got an A in my irish oral at Christmas and for the pres :) That book is a life-saver :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

blue-army wrote: »
    are you doing honours or pass?
    The book "Labhair Liom!" by Edel Ni Bhriain (Folens) is really good if you're doing pass....All basics as well as the more abstract topics...also a section on the sliocht and tells you how to pronounce everything. Its only €10 as well.

Very true it's a class book. She was also my teacher and that woman got me from being completely retarded at irish (did none in 5th or 6th class which didnt help) to getting a C3 in pass while I bombed my oral(nerves)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

radio ones website have a podcast on getting the most from the oral its quite good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Tip:MAKE Eye Contact, Dont be afraid to smile/ be humorous.

Enter exam room and greet the examiner.

Being nervous is what can put you down.

DONT BE NERVOUS.

Practise= Confidence, USE iT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Peslo

well i just got myself 82% in my mock oral and I need to improve alot.
    (been to the Gealtacht 6 times so I plan to get my pass in irish on the back of tape and oral)

basics are good. Don't plan it out.
    for example if you say you play sports in your hobbies, know who for, what position and about trainning.

If you know how to say something but not describe it well say it early and leave what you know to the end of the list. I find your often asked about the last thing you tell them for the next question.

- keep talking. If asked where you live, tell them then tell them what kind of a house you live in etc.

remember you can bluff and lie.

I was asked a question I didn't understand.
    Was in future tense so I said "Maybe, We shall see"
    my teacher bought it :)

Good luck, Relax, Take it easy.

How do you say, "Maybe, we shall see" as Gaeilge??

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ino112

Practice the sliochts! Easy 30 marks! That's 5% of your grade that you can be guranteed to be asked. Too many people fail to prepare for this. It's worth the same as Stair na Gaeilge and considerably easier! :P

Start there and you've got a good bit of work already done.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

befidir,feicimid.

Pretty sure thats not the right spelling but Its like most of my irish (i can say it but I can't write it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Maybe:Bfeidir

Ya need to learn LINK Words to keep awkward silences to a minimum, example: Chomh maith leis sin:apart from that, rudai mar sin: things like that ....etc

The examiner never leaves you awkwardly, Once they see that youve said all you can say on 1 topic they WILL move on, preventing the awkward silence!:)

Also, Oral and Aural= 45% OVERALL. Thats great, getting loads of marks for just listening and talking as gaeilge, easy!!

Advertisement