Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Car Insurance Company

Options
  • 13-03-2008 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice on quality of car insurance company...

Am up for renewal soon and there are three quotes all around the same:

Royal & Sun Alliance, AA and Hiberian. There's about €40 in the difference between all three.

Excess is the same, all offer windscreen cover, roadside assist and no claims protection.

Anyone offer experiences with them good, bad or indifferent?

The woman I was dealing with from AA, said they offer a double no-claims protection and that it was unique to AA. From what I understood, I could have two unlimited claims and still protect my no-claims, which seems weird.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ring the AA back. Check what insurance company you are with, Allianz is the only one that offer two unlimited claims in a three year period. So I guess it would be Allianz.

The windscreen cover is part of the AA No Claims Bonus Discount Protection. You get unlimited fire, theft and windscreen claims without effect on your no claims bonus and with no excess, All Glass is the company the AA deal with for all windscreen claims. They have a dedicated number for it, ask for it if you are setting up the policy.

Breakdown assistance is not as standard on AA policies, double check this please because if she told you it is part of it she is wrong. You have to pay 69€ extra per year for this.

Just so you know the AA offer you personal accident insurance (if you are injured as a result of a traffic accident) and legal protection, which means if a claim that is made against you ever goes to court they pay your solictors and legal fees.

If you become an AA Member (the breakdown service) you get a special card, called the AA Members Club that give you special discounts on home insurance, some hotels and if you are a 3 bill pay customer they give you a discount on line rental too. There are also discounts for Kildare Village. We also have a new Car Data Check on the AA website that if you are a Member you get discounts (like cartell or motorcheck.ie).

If you have anymore questions, PM me. I can give you all the help you need. Promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Hey! Thanks for such a detailed reply!

To be honest, it's now between the AA and Royal & Sun Alliance (who are my current insurer).

Yes, the AA offer is underwritten by Allianz and no it doesn't come with roadside assist. That doesn't bother me much to be honest, as my car came with free RAC cover.

I went back to R&SA and told them I was going with the AA and they dropped their price by Eur86.

So now, R&SA have the edge on cost, but I'm unsure who has the best benefits.

It's all getting a tad confusing!

Allianz has the best benifits, hands down. 2 unlimited claims is the best in the market at the moment and well worth the price, believe me. I give people the choice even if Allianz is dearest and they always end up going with it.

Can I ask which girl in the AA you were dealing with? You can PM me her name if you wish.

hehehehe...It could be you?

I will say that in terms of customer care and professionalism at the end of the phone, the AA won hands down.

Of all the insurance companies I rang, and there were about ten, the AA seemed to be genuinely interested in getting my business.

Everyone else was just going through the motions, with Quinn Direct being the worst (and most expensive) by far.

Would not have been me, i don't work in sales!!! ;)!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

mick_irl wrote: »
    Everyone else was just going through the motions, with Quinn Direct being the worst (and most expensive) by far.

I've found them to be the most inexpensive over the years and am still with them due to that fact. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

for me, its FBD.

I have the house,2 cars and a work trailer insured with them. Their quotes are unbeatable - every year i ring around and no-one can touch them - and the level of cover is top notch.

Here's the quotes I got.

Fully comp with 5+ no claims.

Quinn Direct - €758

AXA - €732

FBD - €660

Allianz - €658

Hibernian - €597

AA - €589 (reselling Allianz)

AIB - €572

Royal & Sun Alliance - €545 (since re-quoted at €462)

That's €296 of a difference between Quinn and Royal & Sun Alliance.

Jeez I'm €500 fully comp with Quinn and hoping to get that down further this year.

I'd be five years no claims now too and am 28.

Amazing the difference in price, but that's a good thing, competition is alive and well... :)

What types of cars are you driving?? And, what age bracket would you be in mick_irl? it all makes a difference guys.

• Advertisement

I'm 32 Adrieanne. Driving a new Volvo worth 29k.

Big engine size mick?? It's probs be a higher grouping to whatever car Bobby is driving hence the dearer quotes.

Who have you gone with in the end?

It's a 1.8.

Gave all the exact same details to each of the insurance companies. Tis a bit mad there is such a price difference.

Big engine size mick?? It's probs be a higher grouping to whatever car Bobby is driving hence the dearer quotes.

Who have you gone with in the end?

Yeah Mick would have a bigger engine, mine 1.25 Fiesta worth about 7k.
    Have been looking for a newer car say two year old one and they have said my insurance shouldn't go up too much.

Have been with Quinn since I started driving and they have discount year on year. I have different quotes to Mick in that all the other insurance companies would be at least €100 dearer.

They seem to be happy with clean licence and no claims.

Advertisement