Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ian Dempsey show, becoming one great big advert?

• 13-03-2008 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭

Is it just me, or has anybody noticed there been a big slide from what used to be a good radio show to one which is just continuous advertising. Today was unreal:
    • First callers to the show asked if they had MBT's
    • Ian makes several references to MBT during any speaking slot
    • Close to 10 mins talking to a guy about MBT's and how fantastic they are. The "interview" was the most pathetic thing I've heard on radio in ages.
    • A commercial break after this spot
    • Followed by more chatting about MBT's

And all of this was packed in before they had reached 8 o'clock. Personally I was glad to be turning of the radio this morning and getting on my bike.

It's great to see the show has been so successful, but as they start to move out or cut back most of the content that made them good, it will start to hurt. I know that after years off listening to and enjoying the show, I'm off to look for an alternative.

Adrian.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

What's MBT? Seriously! I've never heard of it.

/hee, maybe they should advertise more! :D

It's not just the Ian Dempsey show tbh, look at any talk show. Years ago, a famous person went onto a talk show to talk about their lives and let their fans know a little bit more about them. These days, 'celebrity' after celebrity troop onto shows with their book, CD, perfume range...or talk about their latest play, movie whatever.

I didn't hear the show but is it always like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Is THIS what he spent half the morning talking about???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it was really bad this morning, plus there was the 10 minutes of gibberish around 7 while they tried to work out whose turn it was to talk, and whether or not to play jingles and adds ...

I just switched the radio off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭adrian.s

Bard wrote: »
    Is THIS what he spent half the morning talking about???

Yip, and I learned as well that they even have dress MBT's should you be going on a night and need something more dressy!

deRanged wrote: »
    it was really bad this morning, plus there was the 10 minutes of gibberish around 7 while they tried to work out whose turn it was to talk, and whether or not to play jingles and adds ...

I just switched the radio off.

Yeah, shame really. Maybe it's down to the fact they're in a new building, still learning the controls and need extra revenue streams to pay the rent!

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

It was like QVC this morning....really bad.

I was disappointed with Dempsey...he's usually much better than this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Becoming?
    Demo's shows have always been a showcase for what's hot n mundane in the Irish lifestyle, be it cereal, beverages or ski holidays.
    It's the main reason I can't stand the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Boardsbud

I have to admit I didn't hear the show myself but I did tune in to Ian D for the first time in months last week and the show sounded like QVC, as someone else has pointed out. All it contained was plug after plug and long winded competitions centred around yet another plug, no music being played and they seemed forever behind schedule. The show is rediculously cluttered and no doubt in breach of BCI advertising minutage because of their "clever" marketing tactics.

BTW heard Larry Gogan on 2FM last week and thought it was a flashback to the sponsored programmes of the 70's. Plugging some ****e compilation album for no reason other than the fact that a brown envelope existed at the other end somewhere. Larry's being getting away with this for years, good sentiment for an old jock aside, its time to stop this crap, esp on our PSB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I turned over to Colm and Jim Jim for the first time ever during that show, but they are actually quite funny!!!

Today FM don't seem to have learnt how to use their new studios yet which really bug me, as you get people talking over songs, adverts in wrong places... etc.

Surely training should be given to them as standard. Its very unprofessional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Boardsbud wrote: »
    BTW heard Larry Gogan on 2FM last week and thought it was a flashback to the sponsored programmes of the 70's. Plugging some ****e compilation album for no reason other than the fact that a brown envelope existed at the other end somewhere. Larry's being getting away with this for years,

Are you trying to suggest Larry is on the take???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

BTW heard Larry Gogan on 2FM last week and thought it was a flashback to the sponsored programmes of the 70's. Plugging some ****e compilation album for no reason other than the fact that a brown envelope existed at the other end somewhere. Larry's being getting away with this for years

That is one hell of an accusation...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Does Dempsey's fake laughing irritate anyone else? Especially during the gift grub segments.

MarkN wrote: »
    Are you trying to suggest Larry is on the take???

The radio industry as a whole is "on the take" as you put it. There are very few presenters that research and find "new" music themselves. They don't need to. They play the music that record company pluggers supply them with. Its todays respectable form of payola. Theres not one radio presenter in this country or beyond that plugs products or services and doesn't receive some perk or other in return. Do you think when presenter A tells us he/she had a great weekend in Fancy Spa hotel down the country that they're telling us that for nothing ? Chances are the weekend was for free in order to get the plug or a future trip will be supplied for free. Its a perk of the industry.

So back to your original question, yes I am suggesting that Larry Gogan and most every other radio presenter in the country has at some stage or continually are on "the take". And none of them will or can deny it, as I said its considered a perk of the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

The radio industry as a whole is "on the take" as you put it. There are very few presenters that research and find "new" music themselves. They don't need to. They play the music that record company pluggers supply them with. Its todays respectable form of payola. Theres not one radio presenter in this country or beyond that plugs products or services and doesn't receive some perk or other in return. Do you think when presenter A tells us he/she had a great weekend in Fancy Spa hotel down the country that they're telling us that for nothing ? Chances are the weekend was for free in order to get the plug or a future trip will be supplied for free. Its a perk of the industry.

So back to your original question, yes I am suggesting that Larry Gogan and most every other radio presenter in the country has at some stage or continually are on "the take". And none of them will or can deny it, as I said its considered a perk of the job.

Oooh... Just a quick one:

Although your point has changed slightly from your earlier post (Where you suggested that Mr Gogan accepted illegal financial reward ('brown envelopes') to promote certain artists on his radio show (us oldies call it payola) ) to one about recieving reward for mentioning services, I'd nonetheless just like to point out that, generally, when assumptions such as those above are presented as fact they are usually backed up with evidence, and hopefully more concrete evidence than an assertation that 'Chances are' your allegations are correct...

( y'know, to avoid a lengthy libel case, which could potentially bankrupt both you and boards.ie.)

My use of the term "brown envelopes" was probably inappropriate alright. I never intended to suggest direct financial/cash changing hands. I used the term figuratively. I also repeated Mark N's term "on the take" and this could probably be construed to mean cash reward. Again this wasn't my intention. I apologise for any misunderstanding this may have caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Oh so now it's not just Larry it's EVERY presenter in Ireland! Ha ha. Eh, first of all, the BCI would clamp down very quickly on a presenter plugging a hotel like you describe, it's a complete breach of rules. Secondly, I don't really see how presenter X getting the new Rihanna single is seen as payola, particularly when record companies pretty much only send music to the Music Director and Programme Director of a station, Today/2fm the exception and how a presenter benefits from having said single is beyond me. Having said that, I am sipping a glass of Heineken from a mini keg sent into me last week.. Did I plug it on air, em nope. Get your facts right or learn about BCI regulations before you reply with another stupid post attacking every presenter in the country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Heard Tubridy plugging Aer Lingus to Washington there yesterday.

Can you tell us , did he travel Economy?

If not did he pay for premier clss?

You seem to be "in the know " as it were on these happenings:p

Advertisement