Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm effect on bare root trees just planted

Options
  • 13-03-2008 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

Basically as the thread title suggests, i planted bare root trees about 1 month ago. Since then they've been battered by inclement weather conditions almost not stop. As a result many have been knocked, roots expostd. The moundings in which they were planted were for the most part peat based, so if i go to stomp them in, the mounding simple breaks up.
    I've taken to supporting them with stones at the base of the trunk.

Any better ideas/suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Is staking an option or is this a plantation? Other possibility if in lines would be steel wire with ties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭kravist

Occidental wrote: »
    Is staking an option or is this a plantation? Other possibility if in lines would be steel wire with ties.

Its a small plantation, about three quarters of an acre, staking isnt really an option.
    The steel wire might work.....thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

if you can post a clear picture I may be able to give some advice, and any info such as tree type, height, etc. Why did you plant on mounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I stake each side with a wooden stake, and ask my local bike shop for a heap of old cycle inner tubes.
    Use the inner tubes to support the trunk, they won't cut it like a wire will.
    I never use peat for planting out and definately don't use mounds that is a recipe for trouble.
    It is hard work digging lots of holes especially if it is stony but firm soil is definately much better for support.
    I planted a 15ft tree here and it hasn't moved a bit even in that bad wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭kravist

Oldtree wrote: »
    if you can post a clear picture I may be able to give some advice, and any info such as tree type, height, etc. Why did you plant on mounds?

All native species, alder, ash, mountain, ash, oak and birch. Im told 2 years old. The oak are about 2 feet and the alder similar. The ash and montain ash and birch are up on 6 feet.
    As the patch of land was and is very wet, the material dug up to make the drains was used for the moundings which happens to be very peaty. I planted on mounds based on advise from the guy who got me the trees.
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

one of the main problems i find with irish soils is that they are very slow to re-coagulate, ie to get bact their to their original state of structure and texture, in particular peaty ones, weathering and worm action are the only things that can do this.
    I think you would be better off to go over the lot again and to slit plant. 6 foot trees are a little big, in the spring a lot of water falls and is accompanied by winds which will tend to push these trees over (last year or the year before there were very heavy losses in new plantings.) perhaps prune them down a bit.
    staking all of these may not be the answer as this can not only create a weakness in the stem, but only put off the falling over for a number of years.
    If you do the work correctly now there will be little work in the future.
    Alder can take water around its roots up to 6 months of the year and along with willow is a good choice for a wet site. Once oaks settle in they can drain a damp site within a few years.

Advertisement