Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Base Layer

Options
  • 13-03-2008 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

afternoon all,
    just had a quick scout around some of the cycling websites and it appears base-layers are a lot more expensive than i thought. i bought a couple of nike fit tops in the US last year for $25, would be lucky to get half a top for that price over here if i'm reading things correctly.
    is it possible to get nike fit gear here? all i'm seeing that's at the "cheap" end is under armour and canterbury. pretty shocked at the prices, i have to say!
    yours in thriftiness,
    z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

TK Maxx sells them for much cheaper :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

TK Maxx sells them for much cheaper :)

that is EXACTLY what i wanted to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I like the Nike Pro tops under a windproof jacket or gilet.
    Visit Champion Sports on Grafton Street (St Stephen's Green end). The ground floor is all Nike. It's probably the best selection of Nike stuff around (but it's not that good).

I find that JJB Sports (Blanch Centre, Liffey Valley and The Square Tallaght) have a wide range of technical stuff (as opposed to fashion stuff, though it has that too) at various prices. You should be able to find something there that fits your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Drop into Patagonia on Wicklow Street and have a rummage in the bargain bin - some good finds to be found.

Plenty of reasonably priced gear here too:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=357

Morgan wrote: »
    Drop into Patagonia on Wicklow Street and have a rummage in the bargain bin - some good finds to be found.

Plenty of reasonably priced gear here too:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=357
    daymobrew wrote: »
    I like the Nike Pro tops under a windproof jacket or gilet.
    Visit Champion Sports on Grafton Street (St Stephen's Green end). The ground floor is all Nike. It's probably the best selection of Nike stuff around (but it's not that good).

I find that JJB Sports (Blanch Centre, Liffey Valley and The Square Tallaght) have a wide range of technical stuff (as opposed to fashion stuff, though it has that too) at various prices. You should be able to find something there that fits your budget.

cheers all. as far as i can tell, nike "pro" is basically the same as nike "fit" so it was my own ineptitude holding me back. was intending tacking a trip out to blanch onto the end of my sunday spin so will try and have a look then.

thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

all i'm seeing that's at the "cheap" end is under armour and canterbury.

I'm a big fan of the canterbury stuff. Even though its not designed for cycling, I've found it much warmer than any other brands I've tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

Underarmour stuff, also orginally designed for rugby, is pretty good, about €25 in elvery's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

man, yizzer are all very helpful. quite the shopping list i have together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

thanks for that link E@gle. Is it realy lgiht? I was told in a cycle store that i should get quite a light one. Pity it doesnt have a medium right now though

• Advertisement

Bambaata wrote: »
    thanks for that link E@gle. Is it realy lgiht? I was told in a cycle store that i should get quite a light one. Pity it doesnt have a medium right now though

yeah the thing weighs nothing, i have 2 of them at the moment for the winter, i dont bother with a base layer in the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I'm a big advocate of wool as a base layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

fish-head wrote: »
    I'm a big advocate of wool as a base layer.

+1
    i have a couple of merino wool base layers and they're are mag-fúcking-nificent. they're 'icebreaker' and i got them in 53deg North on blanch (beside t k maxx), not cheap but totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

niceonetom wrote: »
    +1
    i have a couple of merino wool base layers and they're are mag-fúcking-nificent. they're 'icebreaker' and i got them in 53deg North on blanch (beside t k maxx), not cheap but totally worth it.

If I could only wear 2 things for the rest of my life, it would be my 2 Icebreaker Tops (and pants obviously)

I LOVE them.

I got a Helly Hansen base layer not so long ago - it wasn't cheap, but it's also fantastic! I think you do get what you pay for .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

Most of the shirts all do the same thing, I have canterbury ones and they're class, and even though the underarmour ones are expensive they're really good quality. I always found the Nike ones weren't the best cause there were no seams and so they didnt fit right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Hi all,has anyone any experience of Assos gear,very expensive but as you say you get what you pay for,thanks

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've plenty of Assos gear, but no base layers from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Got this Helly Hansen base layer last week. Very good and cheap enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

dmigsy wrote: »
    Got this Helly Hansen base layer last week. Very good and cheap enough.

I got one of them myself ,also got this for under 16euro:D ,not bad

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3088

el tonto wrote: »
    I've plenty of Assos gear, but no base layers from them.

was thinking of getting some assos gear, is it worth the cash???

• Advertisement

E@gle. wrote: »
    was thinking of getting some assos gear, is it worth the cash???

Their shorts are the bee knees in my view. Very comfortable for a long day in the saddle and if you're going to go for one bit of Assos gear, I'd make it the shorts. I've a few pairs of tights too, which use the same pad as the shorts.

I've got a few Uno jerseys, great cut, full zip and very nice for the summer.

I also like the Intermediate jacket. It's basically a long sleeve jersey with windproof panelling on the front and I find it perfect for most winter days when worn with a base layer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Assos, brilliant.
    .........but come off once and rip your skin off etc............pricey then. :eek:

Planet X wrote: »
    Assos, brilliant.
    .........but come off once and rip your skin off etc............pricey then. :eek:

Yes, but what other clothing firm has a crash repair policy?

"Naturally, as any other product, ASSOS apparel does wear out!
    Depending on the riding style and on the way one takes care of the garment (see Wear and Store and Wash Instructions), this will occur sooner or later. In the meantime, if a thread breaks, we can repair it and if you crash, we might be able to repair it. But, when, eventually, the material does wear out, we cannot repair it. The majority of the repairs we do, are free of charge, regardless the number of kilometers the garment has."

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

lidl have what they call motorbike base layers for 18 this week. i have one from last time and they are great. 61% skinlife, 29% poly and 10% elastane.

it is an amazing price for a top made mostly from skinlife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

copacetic wrote: »
    lidl have what they call motorbike base layers for 18 this week. i have one from last time and they are great. 61% skinlife, 29% poly and 10% elastane.

it is an amazing price for a top made mostly from skinlife.

Thanks for that. You didn't get the 'motorbike outer socks' by any chance? Or know anything about them. I had mighty cold feet after my Saturday spin.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

oobydooby wrote: »
    Thanks for that. You didn't get the 'motorbike outer socks' by any chance? Or know anything about them. I had mighty cold feet after my Saturday spin.

no, they don't have holes for cleats afaik, i do have a pair of overshoes i got online that are good on days like this though, or even toe protectors help a lot.

Advertisement