Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do I plug this into on my computer?

Options
  • 13-03-2008 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    I have a thermaltake armor case. I bought an audio interface so i can record guitar on my PC. I also have an ABIT IN9 32X-MAX nForce-680i motherboard. The audio interface is firewire. I've never had to use firewire on the PC so far so just started looking for the firewire port on the back of it...except I cant find one. I think I forgot to plug it into the mobo when I was building it.

Anyhoo, theres a firewire port on the case in a small circular yoke as seen here:

tt-armor-case-b-2.jpg

I want to plug it into the mobo so I don't have to reach around to plug in the firewire at the back...

Where on the mobo do I connect the cables for the firewire?

20061114135231_1.jpg

Also, here is a pic of the back of the mobo - I don't see any firewire on there, or am I missing it?

bigl.jpg

I'm presuming its the part on the far left in this photo, (small grey rectangular yoke with cables coming out of it) - because I forgot to connect that in :

12171753435l.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You can connect the firewire port on your pc to the motherboard no probs, all you have to do is look through the motherboard manual and locate the firewire header on the board.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd guess (but please look at the manual to confirm) that it's the green connectors on the top left of the board (when looking at the second pic you posted). Does the front panel not have it? The small grey thing you mentioned appears to be 2 X USB and 1 X Firewire, so that's the one you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

Anti wrote: »
    You can connect the firewire port on your pc to the motherboard no probs, all you have to do is look through the motherboard manual and locate the firewire header on the board.

yea unfortunately all the manuals etc are all back home in another county in the attic. Had to send all the boxes home cuz they were taking up too much space...not too sure where it should go really...balls

also i dont have that grey connecter thats in the third pic - its at home too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Also, here is a pic of the back of the mobo - I don't see any firewire on there, or am I missing it?

I'm presuming its the part on the far left in this photo, (small grey rectangular yoke with cables coming out of it) - because I forgot to connect that in

Yeap, that mall grey rectangular yoke with cables coming out of it goes in to one of the expansion slots at the back of the PC, it gives you an extra two usb ports and from the looks of it two firewire ports. Do you still have the bracket? Those connectors are nearly always colour coded to match stuff on the board.

Also, just under the bracket in the photo there's an Abit Motherboard Jump... something. I see small brackets and words indicating stuff on the motherboard. I'd say start there, it might not say firewire though, since that's a brand, it could say IEEE1394, if you find that you've found your firewire connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

yea unfortunately all the manuals etc are all back home in another county in the attic. Had to send all the boxes home cuz they were taking up too much space...not too sure where it should go really...balls

also i dont have that grey connecter thats in the third pic - its at home too...

http://file.abit.com.tw/pub/download/manual/english/in9-32x-max-wi-fi.zip

Just looking at the manual and it seems to put one of the motherboard firewire connections on the other side of the battery, on yours it looks like it's in the same place, about half way up the left side.

• Advertisement

ah cool you found the manual online thanks

from the looks of the manual it says 1394 (which i presume is firewire) and it shows it to be the second red one up on the left hand side

would I be right - heres a pic of what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The red connectors on the middle left hand side of the board are firewire. The case firewire port need to be plugged into one of these.

That bit that you're missing would allow you to add a firewire port to the back of the case.

astrofool wrote: »
    The red connectors on the middle left hand side of the board are firewire. The case firewire port need to be plugged into one of these.

That bit that you're missing would allow you to add a firewire port to the back of the case.

These two here:

uf506b5ixac3t3t2fs.jpg

These two here:

uf506b5ixac3t3t2fs.jpg

cool...i'll turn off the PC now and try so thanks ;)

Nice choice in headphones btw. I used to have a set of 501's The sound from anythign AKG makes is amazing.

• Advertisement

thanks. yea theres some sound off em alright

so i tried plugging them in, but i think i might have plugged the cables in arseways cuz its not working

The diagram in the manual shows the following (attachment 1), but it doesnt show which way the numbers go...

I know which cables relate the which numbers, but theres no indication as to which way the number go - opposite sides, or lengthy ways (attachment 2 +3)

does anyone know which way it normally is

They would word as the 3rd pic. i dont see how you can get it wrong, as the header on the board has 9 pins, and so does the cable from the firewire port. It can only go in one way really.

They would word as the 3rd pic. i dont see how you can get it wrong, as the header on the board has 9 pins, and so does the cable from the firewire port. It can only go in one way really.

ah cool i see :)

must try that later so thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Doesn't the header actually say '1394' or 'Firewire' next to it on the mobo?

Doesn't the header actually say '1394' or 'Firewire' next to it on the mobo?

yes it does. i see that now, but look at the pictures i set a few posts before this. it shows which pin is number 1, but it doesnt show the order of the pins. is number 2 beside number 1 in the picture, or below it - that was the problem i am having. i tried it with the number configuration of picture 2, but that didnt work, so im trying 1357

rather than 12345

if you understand what i mean

it show you which pin is number 1, but it doesnt show you which direction the numbers go in on the pins...

If you're still having problems, take a picture of the connector you're attaching to the board, it sounds like they are all individual pins, which makes it a pain to connect, and you'll need the manual to figure out when pin connects where.

I don't see how you could connect a solid block connector the wrong way like described above.

astrofool wrote: »
    If you're still having problems, take a picture of the connector you're attaching to the board, it sounds like they are all individual pins, which makes it a pain to connect, and you'll need the manual to figure out when pin connects where.

I don't see how you could connect a solid block connector the wrong way like described above.

sorry yea - its a set of individual pins...which is the problem :)

iv tried it going

but nothing happened and I've also tried

The correct way is:
    1 3 5 7
    2 4 6 8 10

Are you sure you've got the pins lined up correctly and the labels right? i.e. not mixing up the A/B or +/- pins?

Advertisement