Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Austraila, PR

Options
  • 13-03-2008 1:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possilble for one to go from a WHV to Sponsorship (this is part is fine afaik), to Permanent Residency?
    How long would this take on average?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

jank wrote: »
    Is it possilble for one to go from a WHV to Sponsorship (this is part is fine afaik), to Permanent Residency?
    How long would this take on average?

As far as I know what normally happens is you get the WHV then find a job that is willing to sponsor you. Sponsorship visa's as far as I know last four years, in that time you either must stay with your employer, or find another employer willing to take on the sponsorship (rumours that this resets the fours years but I'm not sure), I believe job agencies are can sponsor people enabling you to work for any number of employers once the job comes through the agency, not sure how many agencies do this but that’s what I was offered (and stupidly turned down). Once you have lived and worked in Australia for four years I believe you can apply for residency.

Best bet is to have a look through www.immi.gov.au.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Thanks for that.

So 4 years is the magic number! Thought it was 2.

Also, i heard that if one gets a sponsered, their partner gets a work visa aswell. I think one has to produce proof that they were living together for 12 months for this happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

jank wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

So 4 years is the magic number! Thought it was 2.

Also, i heard that if one gets a sponsered, their partner gets a work visa aswell. I think one has to produce proof that they were living together for 12 months for this happen.

I am not sure about partner. I'm sure there would have to be some proof provided otherwise anyone going over could just find someone who is getting sponsored and saying yeah sure she/he is my partner.

I know that we meet a married couple over there and the wife was offered sponship so the husband was going to get some kind of visa as well. I have no idea what kind, or if it was just an automatic thing because they were married, or what the application process was like as they ended up not staying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Found this on Visa First
    How do they assess the 12 month relationship?
    In assessing a de facto spouse or interdependent relationship, the government normally looks at evidence of such things as living together full-time, sharing important financial (bank accounts) and social commitments (holidays etc), setting up a household separately from other people.

Note: Periods of 'dating' would not generally be considered to count towards the 12-month relationship requirement. Some of the factors to be considered in deciding whether the partners satisfy the requirement include:

* Knowledge of each other’s personal circumstances
    * Financial aspects of the relationship, such as any joint ownership of real estate, Joint bank accounts or other major assets
    * The nature of the household, including living arrangements such as joint residential receipts or joint household accounts the social aspects of the relationship, provided in statements (statutory declarations) by parents, family members, relatives, friends and other interested parties
    * Joint membership of organizations or joint participation in sporting, social or other activities, and
    * joint travel.

Myself and the GF are going out over 5 years, so we should be ok as we are also talking about 2 years to travel the world and live/work in NZ before touching down into OZ. Just need the documentation to back our case.

I see what you mean that anybody could pretend to be going out with each other but 12+ months of documentation to prove the fact makes it more of a stringent criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Myself and my gf just went through the whole defacto thing. I'm Australian so she was able to get it.

We've been going out nearly six years, living together for one. There is LOT of donkey work needed to get all the documents together. We had to present photos, ticket stubs etc from when we first started going out as well as all our bills and that from living together. If you are going to do it then get the checklist that is available online and make sure you don't forget anything. It also costs a couple of grand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement