Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaky shower

Options
  • 13-03-2008 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

This is probably the wrong forum but anyway.......

I having a shower yesterday (pics available to the highest bidder, pm me:D) and when I came downstairs there was water coming through the kitchen ceiling:eek:.

We are in the house since march 05 so any "warranty" as such has passed.

However, I am wondering do we have a case under consumer law? You know the one, if goods are not fit for their purpose, or however it goes. I would expect the plumbing to last longer than 3 years.

We paid the plumbing company seperatly at the time for a non standard shower, so who is liable (if anyone) the plumber or the builder?

The damage is covered by the house insurance, so the will pay for the ceiling to be fixed etc. but not any of the actual plumbing work. There is also an excess of €150.

What I am thinking of doing is, getting it all fixed (claiming off insurance) then taking the plumber/builder to the small claims court for the cost of whatever plumbing work was needed+the excess.

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Is the house new? Does it have Homebond or similar? Are you sure its plumbing, or is the shower body itself leaking?

And Ill give you a tenner for the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

The house was bought from new. There is homebond cover, but I think that only covers plumbing for 18 months!

I'm not sure exactly what is leaking but I suspect it is the pipes at the back of the shower. I need to get a plumber to take a look.

Can anyone beat €10?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Depends on who fits the shower trays. May or may not have been Plumbers. Whoever did would have done the seal, which i most likely the problem (assuming you werent having a shower with the door open and the water pouring out onto the floor).

Other than that it could be a loose trap but I'd imagine that woudl have been evident from day 1.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Moved from Consumer Issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭ShakeyBlakey

Firstly if it was plumbing from behind the shower it would be constant not only when you have a shower, its either your waste pipes or not sealed around the shower base and walls.
    If theres a screw in the centre of your drain make sure its screwed tight, it maybe came loose and water is escaping from where the waste pipe and shower base are attached.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Most times when a tray leaks ,it's where the tray meets the wall.

Theres a product available called classi seal ,its without a doubt the best sealer for shower trays.
    Your problem might be something else ,but look into this stuff http://www.classic-marble.com/classi-seal.php

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

Thanks for all the replies and having read them I think that it probably is something with the tray/waste pipe.

However, my question was more about liability for what I think was shoddy work by the builder.

Is it possible to make some sort of a claim against the builder for sub standard work after 3 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Maisie

The 'classi seal' looks just like what I need for two leaking showers.
    However, is it possible to fit to existing showers?
    It looks like it may have to go on before the tray is fitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

In household insurance terms, your insurance company will pay you for any damages caused by this leak, they may decide to persue the builder at a later stage for a recovery of the payout, but this will not involver you at all, I recommend that you call a private loss assessor to for advice, if you havnt done anything about it yet, I have used a guy called Stephen O'Connor before, his company covers the whole country, they will call out to view your damages and if you dont have a claim, there is no charge for the call out his mobile number is 0876487466.

Jeez, you'd think if you were going to shill your own services you'd at least use a different username!
    Such a lack of originality on boards these days... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Maisie wrote: »
    The 'classi seal' looks just like what I need for two leaking showers.
    However, is it possible to fit to existing showers?
    It looks like it may have to go on before the tray is fitted?

Sorry ,I never spotted this reply . You need to take the tray out and put the classi seal around the sides of the tray that meet the wall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement