Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Used original Xbox €20 in game-stop

2»

Comments

rosboy wrote: »
    I just got one in Parkway and 1 in the cresent in Limerick....they're all sold out now!

Guy behind the counter said that they weren't accepting trade ins of old xbox from customers anymore. They have a certain ammount in the main office that they are selling off. He reckons when they are sold out, they'll be dropping the price of "new" old type xboxes.

As for me, I'm setting up an xbox with XBMC in every room of the house:)

Rosboy did you get traditional xboxes or crystal ones? Did you get the giant controllers or the newer ones?

They are indeed all sold out in Limerick. Guy on the phone did say that they might be getting more in though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,224 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Thanks guys, just bought two in Gamestop Bray. :)

I rang before I wen't down and they didn't exactly seem to be flying out of the store or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Rosboy did you get traditional xboxes or crystal ones? Did you get the giant controllers or the newer ones?

They are indeed all sold out in Limerick. Guy on the phone did say that they might be getting more in though.

One of each (crystal and traditional).

Not sure about the controllers. Neither are offiicial Microsoft. Think they are the large ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

weeder wrote: »
    anything thats not a version 1.6
    what's wrong with a 1.6?

you can softmod any version, it doesn't matter.

unless you plan on a TSOP mod so you can upgrade the HDD without messing around too much cloning and swapping HDD's, but there's not really any need to do that any more with the newer tools out there.

I actually have all the parts to do a totally silent mod, but I never got around to it. I was thinking of picking up a second xbox to do it on instead. a nice new heatsink for the GPU, an 80mm silent fan for the back of hte case, a 2.5" 20gb laptop drive with IDE converter and 3.5" to 2.5" caddy type thing so i can screw it into the case. for 20 it would be criminal not to if it means xbmc on the telly in the bedroom. :)

Also, definitely WELL worth mentioning is that although the old xbox isn't powerful enough to decode native HD video, if you have a HDTV it still does a very respectable job of upscaling SD video from DivX's and DVD's up to 1080i if you have component cables. the XBMC GUI also has support for 1080i (if you switch it to NTSC) and there's plenty of skins and stuff out there to make it look very nice on a big HDTV.

Master of the Universe

Turns out my cousin has a spare xbox with a rake of games he'd of given to me for free.

Ah well! I suppose I wouldn't have found out if I hadn't mentioned buying two today.

Going to give the soft modding a go myself. Just have to buy the necessary bits and bobs on ebay.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Going to give the soft modding a go myself. Just have to buy the necessary bits and bobs on ebay.
    that only bit that will fox most people is getting the savegame used by the softmod onto the xbox memory card so you can copy it onto the HDD as unfortunately until you actually have a modded xbox there's only a limited umber of ways to do it unless you know someone who already has a modded xbox that can copy it over for you.

one option is the xbox to usb converter cable allowing you to use a normal USB key with the standard xbox controller plug (which IS actually USB, just with a different connector). you can get these off ebay or make one uoirself (there's various guides on t'internet) if you have a spare controller you don't mind butchering and a USB extension cable with a female socket on one end.

there's also the likes of the action replay type devices which allow you to do the same thing but the easiest and cheapest way is to find someone on here who can copy a savegame onto a memory card for you from their modded xbox.

then you just need a copy of splinter cell, mech assault or 007 agent under fire (the originals, not the game of the year editions) and possibly others, I'm not sure and load the game and run the savegame from there to crash it into a linuxy type thing and do the softmod.

there's lots of guides about how to do it from there, but i find the easiest ones are the "auto installer deluxe" ones where you just boot up a burned CD/DVD with their GUI mod disk with lots of "one click" install options.

google is your friend as always, but just remember, as long as you've done the softmod and you don't specifically tell AID to remove the softmod, even if you bork it once or twice (as quite often happens the first time) you can reboot and run the disk again and start over, even if you get a RROD on the xbox.

EVEN if you kill it that way, there's plenty of guys out there willing to do a TSOP mod on it to restore it for you, or worst case scenario a modchip if it's a v1.6, but at 20 euro it's more or less disposable anyway, so don't sweat it, just get another one. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

You dont need a save game to mod an xbox.
    Just softmod it with ndure and xboxhdm, I've two modded this way and use both as XBMC boxes and they work perfectly. No need for extra expense lads.
    Also revision doesnt matter, ALL revisions can easily be softmodded.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

picked up 2 in wexford today plenty left.
    at least one is getting the tsop treatment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

was 8 in galway this morning, but me and a few friends bought 6, so i guess if maths has thought me anything there should be 2 left

I cleaned Bray out of their last two earlier :)
    Now have one in every room with a telly.
    XBMC really is THAT good .

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 pablot

One left in Castlebar as of this morning

Longfield wrote: »
    You dont need a save game to mod an xbox.
    Just softmod it with ndure and xboxhdm...
    isn't that the PC boot disk for making modded Xbox HDD's? someone mentioned that to me before, so I guess it's a case of either my way or just opening the lid of your Xbox. I did a quick google and in the screengrab they just left the HDD in the xbox and swapped the cables over to a PC sitting next to it.

just out of curiosity, how long does it take to do?

Yep thats in a nut shell, you basically reimage the xbox hdd, the reimaging takes about 5 minutes, all in all takes about 30 mins to remove the hdd , reimage it, and then put it back together.
    And endless hours wondering how you ever did without xbmc :)

I going to put together a guide tomorrow if Amp ok's it.

Gonna reimage the two I bought today so might as well take some pics and make a guide for anyone thats interested.

just a quick update

one of the wexford ones was giving me error 16 so i took it back to gorey to find they got some back into stock replaced on the spot anyway

nowthe one i got instead was in a pre played box and was generally in better shape.

also does anyone notice these have all been opened up?
    2 of the wexford ones had warrantee stickers over the broken ones and the replacement had both seals broken and a gamestop propiatery style sticker on it

Master of the Universe

Longfield wrote: »
    I going to put together a guide tomorrow if Amp ok's it.

Gonna reimage the two I bought today so might as well take some pics and make a guide for anyone thats interested.

I'd be interested in seeing that alright. :)

Was going to do it the savefile way, but if you can save me a few quid..

Ok, heres a guide to modding the xbox and installing XBMC for free - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055256404

Have fun lads, its well worth the effort believe me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Resurrecting this thread rather than starting a new one so that hopefully some of the posters in the know here will get the 'new post' thread notification emails to catch their attention.

Currently have 4 xboxes running XBMC that I hotswap modded myself. We know need 2 more at least. Anyone know where one can still pick up the old xbox. Ultimately want to replace the lot with mac minis running OSXBMC but theres a lot of saving to be done for that. In the interim, another 2 xboxes will fill a gap :D especially if they can still be got for 20-50 euro!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ageary08

Worth getting if you like old games, I modded my old xbox ages ago and filled it up with some snes/mega drive games, its absolutly class to play the old classics on the tv with a proper console controller and some of those nice graphics filters emulators have.

Id have to admit i prefer the new xbox as a media center, I can just plug in my external hdds and play videos off that, where as i have to put stuff on discs or try and stuff something onto that tiny xbox hdd.

• Advertisement

once you have done one via the hotswap method, you might find it a little less risky to just get a copy of splinter cell or mech warroir etc. and do the savegame softmod. it's a little safer (and quicker) that way.

if you're not replacing the HDD you won't even need to open the case and you can be done inside 20 mins on each one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

ageary08 wrote: »
    Worth getting if you like old games, I modded my old xbox ages ago and filled it up with some snes/mega drive games, its absolutly class to play the old classics on the tv with a proper console controller and some of those nice graphics filters emulators have.

Id have to admit i prefer the new xbox as a media center, I can just plug in my external hdds and play videos off that, where as i have to put stuff on discs or try and stuff something onto that tiny xbox hdd.

Was this post for me ageary?? Maybe I am behind the curve with what the 360 has been hacked to do these days but aren't you still limited to either having your content in a WMV format or transcoding on the fly from a PC and streaming to the 360? Quite often we have 3 or 4 different people watching different things on different tv's at the same time. I don't think I have the year or so free time to convert our 4 tb of content to wmv nor has there been a PC invented powerfull enough to transcode to 4 different xboxes....at the same time.

You do know that XBMC plays every format bar HD ones don't you? And you do know that you can store content on servers (4tb in our case) and access on any amount of xboxes (within reason) via smb.....at the same time. So the tiny HDD on the xbox doesn't come into it. Slightly related though and ironically enough, I have run into something that will actually persude me to upgrade to Linux XBMC on a PC/OSXBMC on a Mac mini before the desire for HD playback does, and that is, the xbox is getting very slow at handling the massive database content of 860 movies and 150 seasons of various shows. :D. ie all the cross linked IMDB info and thumbnails etc.

vibe666 wrote: »
    once you have done one via the hotswap method, you might find it a little less risky to just get a copy of splinter cell or mech warroir etc. and do the savegame softmod. it's a little safer (and quicker) that way.

if you're not replacing the HDD you won't even need to open the case and you can be done inside 20 mins on each one.

Never did track down a correct version of either game Vibe. Thats why I ended up hotswapping them. Now if you have the game and modded memory card/action replay I would love to paypal you a fee and postage for a loan of them..........that is of course if I can track down a few more cheap xboxes.

So.....anyone know a gamestop that still have some?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I agree with you both.

If you have a server then the old Xbox is brilliant. I've 3 of them in our house all looking at the same server.

However if you don't have a server then burning to disk is a PITA so the 360 is handier as you can just plug in your USB key or HDD. The 360 will play most formats these days. The last update added DivX support. It's played anything I've thrown at it anyway.

I tried messing with transcoding for my 360 but after messing about with it for a couple of days I gave up. XBMC mapping to simple file shares is soooo much simpler and more flexible than transcoding.

HD will probably be a consideration for me in about 5 years so until then (or until the Xboxes clap out) I'll be sticking with XBMC. Who can be bothered downloading a HD version of a TV programme at > 1Gb or the standard def version at about 350Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

yeah ive grown to prefer the 360's media centre now cos i can stream all my stuff wirelessly and it plays all my xvid files/music without a bother whearas on my xbox i dont have any wireless (their may be a wireless adapter in existence but i dont have one).

Also anyone looking to softmod their xbox, i saw game had second hand copies of splinter cell for around €1.48 about a week ago. i got the classic version about a year ago for a fiver with the intention of modding (came in the old box, didnt realise they put the classic disc in) but it worked perfectly so apparently it dosnt matter what version of the game you have (classic or original) even though some guides state you must have the original version

Advertisement