Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best fans you have ever seen (not your own)

• 13-03-2008 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

Kinda taking this from DesF's sig with the Pana fans, it got me thinking about the best time i had with foreign fans and i honestly reckon you would have to go a long long way to beat these guys, Botafogo fans at the Maracana
    I honestly remember very little of the game, as the mayhem in the stands was just so great to watch.
    Aggresive yet fun, great stuff :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdO5t82mKhY&feature=related

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

best as in loudest most vocal support, best as in travel anywhere keep a smile on their faces type, or best as in good craic to have a few beers with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

best as in loudest most vocal support, best as in travel anywhere keep a smile on their faces type, or best as in good craic to have a few beers with?

Within the stadium fred, Vocal support would probably be the main factor, but like with the Botafogo fans they were also great fun too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Not been at many away matches but I really liked the French in October 2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Have seen two great sets of fans an Anfield.

In the premiership, in Pompy's first season, by god the fans were in spectacular voice all game! Seemed to really be absolutely making the most of their premiership adventure, obviously not knowing they would soon enough be challenging for Uefa spots. Had a load of songs and they sang constantly.

In the champions league, Porto's away fans this year were great I thought, made loads of noise, lots of colour, sang constantly, constant chanting etc. Despite it being a bit of a boring game at times in the middle, they stayed in full voice. They did wane a bit when they went 4-1 down, but came back chanting for the end again.

Worst away fans i've seen were probably Boro's. Barely noticed they were there, and they were located right under me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Best - Man United 1993, Slovakia, Newcastle

Worst - Man United 2006, Barcelona (fcuked up atmostphere over there), Sheff Utd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Did anyone see the Derby supporters going WILD when they scored last night despite being 6-0 down? I'd say they had a great trip home!!
    (I'm not saying they're the best supporters but thought this thread might have been inspired by them not the truely inspirational DesF!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Millwall fans always used to be quite vocal, seen them at Pompey, Reading and Wycombe and always thought they were loud.

I always used to be impressed with Chelsea away fans as well, although there are too many JCLs there now to give them any credit.

I saw Wycombe play Bromsrove in the conference once and I was pretty impressed with the 200 or so Bromsgrove fans that made the journey. They got beaten four nil and to be honest, were lucky to get the nil :D but they didn't stop singing. Including a rendition of "We're gonna score in a minute" when the final whistle went:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gucci wrote: »
    the truely inspirational DesF!)
    Yes, yes I am :D
    JCLs
    Love it.

I don't need to post in this thread, it's all in my sig.

I love that vid, it sends shivers up my spine.

DesF wrote: »
    Yes, yes I am :D

Love it.

I don't need to post in this thread, it's all in my sig.

I love that vid, it sends shivers up my spine.

Yeah unfortunatly it was them who wre inspirational...not you Des :p

They scared the hell out of me during the Rangers game over there, and i was watching it on the telly in Glasgow!

Mind you, they got awful quiet in the last ten minutes or so...:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

PSG. Those I met were a lovely crowd of people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Derry City's fans deserve a round of applause.
    They really are something else, especially away from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Derrys away fans +1

Home fans not so nice but their away fans are a decent bunch.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Ajax fans at a Feyenoord derby last February, intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭james123

Benfica the year they knocked Man utd out of the champions league the crowd drowned out the refs whistle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Finn Harps. A great bunch of fans and one of the few places that doesn't treat visiting Rovers fans like lepers. The fact that they had a fund-raiser for the 400 Club when we were in administration says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Another +1 on Derry. Especially when they're winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Finn Harps. A great bunch of fans and one of the few places that doesn't treat visiting Rovers fans like lepers. The fact that they had a fund-raiser for the 400 Club when we were in administration says it all.

QFT:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Kudos to City fans for the respect they held for the moments respect for the victims of the Munich air disaster at the recent derby game against United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Was over to see my beloved Toon get stomped by United a few weeks back at St. James' and I have to say that the United away fans were very impressive, no prawn sandwich brigade there.

For about 3,000 of them in a 50,000+ crowd, they created a hell of a lot noise. At one stage Keegan for England' was ringing throughout the stadium......but I can assure you it wasn't the Geordies that were bellowing it out :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

snyper wrote: »
    Kudos to City fans for the respect they held for the moments respect for the victims of the Munich air disaster at the recent derby game against United

Why should they get any kudos for that?

They shouldn't be thanked for something that's common courtesy like upholding a minute's silence?

Anyway, Derry City's away fan's are a great bunch.Usually bring a good atmosphere too.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Was at Bayern Munich v Karlsruher last week and I have to say the home fans were incredible. In particular the two groups of fans behind each goal were superb and the goal celebrations were hilarious and went on for ages. Not at all what I expected from German fans, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm a big fan of A.C. Milan away fans. They really never stop sining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

-1 for Derry fans at home.:eek:

They were awesome for the League Cup final in 2006.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

Well I'm not sure if you where standing at the "barrier" of stewards between the Shels and Derry fans but I will say I wasn't greeted nicely by 3 of the older Derry City fans, along with a few youths wanting a fight outside the ground.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I was very impressed with the Besiktas fans.

One side of the stadium chants and bounces up and down. Then the other side responds, both trying to outdo each other. They start by waving their hands, then they clap, then they swing their scarfs, then they jump up and down. Looks amazing and I dont know how they coriograph it. They sang loudly from start to finish. Check it out.

(Gets louder as it goes on, 4m:20s is impressive)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d0vzbL7J44

(Shows the two sides of the stadium responding to each other)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-ymBqb6ZKw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5dpHa_AYcA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

snyper wrote: »

Yeah we have great away fans alright. The home ones though are just as fickle as most other clubs with regard to leaving eraly, booing and not singing. I blame all these new stadiums that split up all the hardcores. Emirates has the same problem.
    MrJoeSoap wrote: »

+1 they were fantastic at that.
    Well I'm not sure if you where standing at the "barrier" of stewards between the Shels and Derry fans but I will say I wasn't greeted nicely by 3 of the older Derry City fans, along with a few youths wanting a fight outside the ground.:rolleyes:

You can get that everywhere you go though. In general as supporters of their team the Derry fans are second to none. They sing all game and bring excellent colour to the ground. Top drawer stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

and their stewards tearing down away fans tricolours.....

agreed re Harps, a more welcoming group of guys you will never meet.

and their stewards tearing down away fans tricolours.....

agreed re Harps, a more welcoming group of guys you will never meet.

Yup, not to mention the incident with the stewards taking things into their own hands supposely against Rovers last season.

+1 for Harps, when Shels played up there in a friendly there a few weeks back all the Harps fans were sound, all offering us advice and everything.

Nice to see the Harps fans getting a lot of credit on here, i didnt realise they were quite as respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I'd have to say A.S Roma fans... violent, but dedicated
    I was in Old Trafford last year and they were losing 7-1 and still singing.
    Either Roma, or China (Ireland v China a few years ago, bes friendly atmosphere I've ever experienced)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Kyoto Sanga all the way! Crap standard of football, but it's a great laugh in the stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Gotta say I've always liked the Harps fans (finn harps to non el fans). Derry city fans are amazing as well.

The best I've ever seen and experienced though are the dortmund fans. Go to a home game in the Westfalenstadion and your in for the best 90mins you've ever experienced.

Advertisement